Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Russian Planes Buzz The USS Donald Cook

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
    Posturing.
    The overriding reason for getting that close tends to be intellignce gathering — you photograph every inch of the hardware in question.

    Comment


    • #92
      Originally posted by Johan Banér View Post
      The overriding reason for getting that close tends to be intellignce gathering — you photograph every inch of the hardware in question.
      Not anymore in these days. You can get better quality images from satellites or just going to take pictures of the ship when they dock.
      It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by Vaeltaja View Post
        Not anymore in these days. You can get better quality images from satellites or just going to take pictures of the ship when they dock.
        Well, yes, true enough. Swedish diplomatic personell are expelled from Russia on a semi-regular basis these days. The particular incident with the Swedish recon plane was twenty years ago after all.

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by Epigon View Post
          That was not a simulated attack profile, or do you honestly think that anti-ship attacks are carried out that way? Not even the "Russian junk" does that, these days.
          While it was not "attack profile" unless you go for the kamikaze attack theory, what these pilots did was incredibly reckless. I said it before and I will say it again, those two idiot pilots in those SU-24 are quite lucky that they were not shredded to their component parts by the ship's Close in Weapon System; the ship's captain would have been well within his rights to take those two aircraft under fire regardless of whether or not they were carrying weapons. I will also point out that in my day I distinctively recall illuminating Israeli Air Force fighters that were coming too close to my ship. Lastly, and I am sure that I will get under the skin of you and Shaa with this comment, the Russian Navy has always been an afterthought simply because Russia has always been more of land power, and that mentality is reflected in the obvious lack of professionalism on the part of these pilots.
          Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

          Initiated Chief Petty Officer
          Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

          Comment


          • #95
            Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
            While it was not "attack profile" unless you go for the kamikaze attack theory, what these pilots did was incredibly reckless. I said it before and I will say it again, those two idiot pilots in those SU-24 are quite lucky that they were not shredded to their component parts by the ship's Close in Weapon System; the ship's captain would have been well within his rights to take those two aircraft under fire regardless of whether or not they were carrying weapons. I will also point out that in my day I distinctively recall illuminating Israeli Air Force fighters that were coming too close to my ship. Lastly, and I am sure that I will get under the skin of you and Shaa with this comment, the Russian Navy has always been an afterthought simply because Russia has always been more of land power, and that mentality is reflected in the obvious lack of professionalism on the part of these pilots.
            True.

            My ship was getting quite edgy with a South Korean jet pilot that started doing dive bombing like passes when we pulled in 2004.

            "WTF do we energize or not?!?"

            Master At Arms and Gunner's Mates were getting ready to let the 50 cal rip.

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
              While it was not "attack profile" unless you go for the kamikaze attack theory, what these pilots did was incredibly reckless. I said it before and I will say it again, those two idiot pilots in those SU-24 are quite lucky that they were not shredded to their component parts by the ship's Close in Weapon System; the ship's captain would have been well within his rights to take those two aircraft under fire regardless of whether or not they were carrying weapons. I will also point out that in my day I distinctively recall illuminating Israeli Air Force fighters that were coming too close to my ship. Lastly, and I am sure that I will get under the skin of you and Shaa with this comment, the Russian Navy has always been an afterthought simply because Russia has always been more of land power, and that mentality is reflected in the obvious lack of professionalism on the part of these pilots.

              I am sure some of you here would open fire. That is why you are writing posts on this forum and not commanding anyone or anything. I am interested in your prediction on life expectancy on that destroyer after shooting down a Russian plane 60 kilometres from Kaliningrad.

              Secondly, what does the Russian Air Force got to do with the secondary role of Russian/Soviet Navy? Is this the continuation of those "hurr-durr ima da best pilotz, planes, choppaz"? If I wanted to be cynical, I would compare the effect of less than 50 Russian aircraft on Islamists in Syria to several hundred various NATO types operating as part of the "anti-terror coalition" for a far longer period.

              In addition, those Su-24 were unarmed, but carrying an electronic surveillance and jaming equipment suite. Gee, I wonder what were they hoping to achieve.

              Finally, I find it funny how the events presented by US officials and media differ significantly from those in Polish media. Something tells me the Poles are to be trusted more.
              Last edited by Epigon; 20 Apr 16, 10:45.

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by Epigon View Post
                I am sure some of you here would open fire. That is why you are writing posts on this forum and not commanding anyone or anything. I am interested in your prediction on life expectancy on that destroyer after shooting down a Russian plane 60 kilometres from Kaliningrad.
                Are you making a wild ass assumption? I never stated what I would do, merely that the captain of that destroyer was well within his rights to open fire. As far as the life expectancy of a destroyer that close to Konigsberg (let's call the city by it's proper name), there is huge difference between shooting down a plane and attacking a ship. Ships are an extension the territory of the country they belong too, something that has a landlubber you clearly do not understand. I would invite you to remember what happened when Turkey shot down that Russian plane back in November. More than likely there would have been the usual round robin of strongly worded protests from Sergei Lavrov et al, and that would have been the end of it.

                Secondly, what does the Russian Air Force got to do with the secondary role of Russian/Soviet Navy? Is this the continuation of those "hurr-durr ima da best pilotz, planes, choppaz"? If I wanted to be cynical, I would compare the effect of less than 50 Russian aircraft on Islamists in Syria to several hundred various NATO types operating as part of the "anti-terror coalition" for a far longer period.
                Russian naval aviation fly's SU-24s, and please do be cynical......oh wait, it depleted the Russian treasury while propping up a regime that even the Kremlin is not that enthused with and did nothing to stop ISIS. I am sure that Assad is immensely grateful though.

                In addition, those Su-24 were unarmed, but carrying an electronic surveillance and jaming equipment suite. Gee, I wonder what were they hoping to achieve.
                Again, what they did was grossly unsafe and unprofessional. The USA does it, Russia does it China does. I am sure there Russian AGIs off the coast of Virginia right now as I am writing this. However, there is a right way to do it and a wrong way to do it. When you fly a fighter within 30 meters of the deck of warship you are not conducting electronic surveillance you are behaving like to an unsafe and unprofessional !

                Finally, I find it funny how the events presented by US officials and media differ significantly from those in Polish media. Something tells me the Poles are to be trusted more.
                Well, please do post a link. Google has a translation function so that you can post your Polish media source in a language that everyone here can understand. In other words put up or shut up! By the way, Italian sources seem to mirror American media.

                http://www.corriere.it/esteri/15_giu...0a4921d8.shtml
                Last edited by Bass_Man86; 20 Apr 16, 12:43.
                Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

                Initiated Chief Petty Officer
                Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

                Comment


                • #98
                  Gee,I am glad that US navy commanders are much smarter then some posters here.

                  Shooting that jet down can probably have cosenquence of deploying Tu22 and sink Cook
                  And trigger happy forum posters are willing to risk it.
                  Luckily, writing nonsense on forum won't harm anyone.
                  It's easy to write without any impact on happenings. Real commanders know what can happen so they act accordingly.

                  Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk
                  Fortess fortuan adiuvat

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Originally posted by Epigon View Post
                    Secondly, I find it particularly amusing to see individuals laughing at Tu-22 bombers: those "junk planes", operating as part of air regiments, were perfectly capable of destroying US carrier groups using a combination of mission specialised different aircraft (Tu-22, Tu-95, Tu-160 mixes) and anti-ship missiles. Yes, the losses due to opposing fighters and long range SAM are taken into account: those were one way missions by design, relying on a rather large number of planes launching a very large number of missiles. Very good missiles, by the way.
                    I find it particularly amusing that some bellicose fart behind his computer screen will spout nonsense about how the air regiments were perfectly capable of destroying US carrier groups.....
                    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

                    Comment


                    • Coordinated attack by Oscars ("Granit" salvo) and air groups (TU-22M3) have a good chance to breakthrough CVBG defense.
                      But,why to do that?

                      Sent from my SGP521 using Tapatalk
                      Fortess fortuan adiuvat

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by hawker_gb View Post
                        Gee,I am glad that US navy commanders are much smarter then some posters here.

                        Shooting that jet down can probably have cosenquence of deploying Tu22 and sink Cook
                        And trigger happy forum posters are willing to risk it.
                        Luckily, writing nonsense on forum won't harm anyone.
                        It's easy to write without any impact on happenings. Real commanders know what can happen so they act accordingly.

                        Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk
                        Or Russian pilots and those that control them.

                        Your own words condemns the Russian actions.
                        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

                        Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

                        you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

                        Comment


                        • Why is Königsberg the "real" name? Just a result from a previous conquest, that Drang nach Osten and Northern Crusades were.
                          The landlubber that I am, I apparently know a little bit more than you. The plane violated the Turkish airspace and the Turks issued warning prior to shotdown, if we are to believe them. So the downing was legally justified. Doing that in international airspace is an altogether different thing.

                          Your tone and rhetorics are funny, in a sad way.

                          The destroyer in question left port of Gdynia on April 11th, and arrived at Klaipeda on April 14th. A very long time for a very short trip.

                          The official narrative is that they were to "practice sea landings" with Polish SH-2G Super Seasprite helicopter units. A nonsense by itself, since those units have performed multiple thousands of landings on Polish vessels over their 20 years of age. Their actual purpose was apparently evident to Russians.
                          Contrary to claims in US and NATO press about "attack simulations" and "attack runs", the Polish media
                          correctly pointed out unarmed aircraft equipped with electronic equipment.
                          The forward deployment of an Aegis destroyer/ABM system can be viewed by Russians as a breach of the Strategic Arms Treaty of 2010. It is no coincidence that this happened earlier in the Black Sea, and was met with a similar response. Actually, it gives Russia the cause to withdraw from the treaty. Don't believe me? Read the treaty articles.
                          Secondly, the destroyer and helicopters were not only buzzed by Su-24, but by Russian helicopters as well, until the entire operation was canceled. The Polish helicopters in question were carrying towed magnetic anomaly detectors, so my guess is that Russians added 2 and 2, and decided to interfere with this exercise. In addition, the Russians rightfully believe that an Aegis destroyer so close to Crimea or Kaliningrad is nothing routine, and is a clearly hostile act, because Russian nuclear, SAM, ballistic systems are located there.

                          That the Pentagon chose to focus on the last pass and call it "strafing" while being silent on the 20+ previous sorties over 2 days is telling.
                          Last edited by Epigon; 20 Apr 16, 15:42.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Nichols View Post
                            I find it particularly amusing that some bellicose fart behind his computer screen will spout nonsense about how the air regiments were perfectly capable of destroying US carrier groups.....
                            Sure thing, buddy.

                            You tell them Soviets that they were wrong when they developed their anti-carrier tactics and equipment.

                            Surely you know better than professionals preparing for an event of a world war.

                            I am sure you have all the knowledge of Soviet systems, technology and US countermeasures.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                              Or Russian pilots and those that control them.

                              Your own words condemns the Russian actions.
                              Well,you are very wrong.
                              But,english is not my native language so i apologise if you misunderstood me.

                              Sent from my SGP521 using Tapatalk
                              Fortess fortuan adiuvat

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
                                I merely pointed out that given what was related in the article it sounded like a standard SSC mission; the article was short on specifics. The article did not furnish any photographic evidence, nor did the article specify the range and altitude of the Viggen in relation to the cruiser whereas in the case of those two SU-24 pilots a picture tells a thousand words. So, are you so sure that it is my bias that is showing?
                                I saw the video of the SU-24, and there was nothing "unprofessional" about it. In such situations, it's only a matter of bias what you call "unprofessional" or not.
                                www.histours.ru

                                Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X