No announcement yet.

Russian Planes Buzz The USS Donald Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov, spokesman for the Russian defense ministry, said Thursday that the pilots of Russian Su-24 jets saw the ship and turned back "while using all measures of precaution." Konashenkov said he was baffled by what he described as the "distressed reaction of our American counterparts."
    He sounds like one of those corrupt cops who doesn't realize that someone video recorded his actions.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
      He sounds like one of those corrupt cops who doesn't realize that someone video recorded his actions.
      Video was obviously fake! No proofs! CIA-Nazi plot!

Comment

Originally posted by ShAA View Post
        Ok, guys, I hope you've all spoken out about unprofessional evil drunk stupid bears, right?
        Actually, your name hasn't come up at all until now.

Originally posted by ShAA View Post
        Now repeat it all about Sweden if you have the slightest shreds of integrity about yourselves.....
        I'm not Swedish.
        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
          I'm not Swedish.
          Apparently in Russia ("Regnum", Russian govt news outlet, publishing a list for this) it can be claimed that the country is almost as close to being at war with Sweden as it is with Ukraine — 70 vs 75 on a 100 scale, where 100 means open war).

Turkey at 80 is even closer. Interestingly Russia would be considerd be to as close to war with Norway.

But at 85 Romania and Moldova jointly take the cake.
          http://regnum.ru/news/polit/2092473.html

Comment

I bet this is something different comparing to exporting democracy around globe.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk
            Fortess fortuan adiuvat

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
              This is nothing new. When INTREPID and company operated in the Baltic in the early '70s the same stuff happened. I can remember being called to GQ one morning. When I got to the 06 level I saw that we were flanked by Soviet frigates about 75 feet off our port and starboard beams. We waved to Ivan with our middle fingers and he waved back.
              As Mr Natural used to say, "Twas ever thus..."
              It's a dangerous business.

One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions - Admiral Grace Hopper

"The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity."
              Wu Cheng'en Monkey

Comment

Question: At what point does the captain react to something like this? What constitutes as aggression requiring him to respond to protect his vessel and crew?
                "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
                - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaOne View Post
                  Question: At what point does the captain react to something like this? What constitutes as aggression requiring him to respond to protect his vessel and crew?
                  Well, first he has to wait and see what the lawyers say.

Edit: To be honest, I think the real answer to the first question is "not until it's too late".

Mario?
                  Last edited by Gixxer86g; 15 Apr 16, 16:57.
                  ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

I'm not an expert (or even close) at this, but all I see are droptanks. Is there any visible ordnance? I believe that could make a difference in threat level.
                    I was on a Norwegian Cruise Line Norway cruise last year and a Norwegian P3 Orion made several passes at us from abeam. They had their landing lights on and I thought it was cool.

Comment

It depends on the rules of engagement and force protection that commanders are under at the time.

That being said, apparently SecState Kerry was reported as saying the captain of the destroyer was within his rights to shoot the Russian planes down. That would have been interesting and the Russians were asking for it.
                      We are not now that strength which in old days
                      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                      Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                      To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
                        It depends on the rules of engagement and force protection that commanders are under at the time.

That being said, apparently SecState Kerry was reported as saying the captain of the destroyer was within his rights to shoot the Russian planes down. That would have been interesting and the Russians were asking for it.
                        Yeah,that would be nice.
                        Shoot jets down,then Russians dispatch TU-22 and sink Cook then US launch nukes then Russia launch nukes... then what?

Big boys play their game in their way. They play same game few decades.
                        Let them play it.
                        Dont worry, these two wont shoot on each other. Only some,not very bright people thinks that they should take out jets or sink Cook.
                        Luckily,big boys already forgot about that and move on.
                        Fortess fortuan adiuvat

Comment

The USN should be glad the pilots weren't drunk... Or were they...?

Comment

So, would the rules of engagement be the same say, if an Iranian jet did this? I guess what I am asking is (a) are there standing rules for such? (b) does it depend on whose jets they are (c) could the captain be held to account if one of these ships rolled in and attacked the ship?

What if one of these jets is piloted by someone who sympathizes with terrorists?

Whatever the answers are for this discussion, one thing is for sure, the game is high keeps and the potential is there for either ship or jet to be hit causing a massive response.
                            "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
                            - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                              They were Russian.
                              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                                With these guys, you never know.
                                ((check 1:06))

But I think I see why it was timed this way-
                                http://theaviationist.com/2016/04/07...ning-schedule/
                                Last edited by The Exorcist; 16 Apr 16, 12:38.
                                "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X