No announcement yet.

Russian Planes Buzz The USS Donald Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That is verified by commander of Black Sea fleet.
    Any reference for that ?

Ordering a fly over is one thing, ordering a manoeuvre like that appears unlikely -

to see that order confirmed in public would be ..surprising to say the least.

What would be less surprising fort example is some "private competition" among pilots to see who comes closest - plenty of other examples.
    Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
      Any reference for that ?

Ordering a fly over is one thing, ordering a manoeuvre like that appears unlikely -

to see that order confirmed in public would be ..surprising to say the least.

What would be less surprising fort example is some "private competition" among pilots to see who comes closest - plenty of other examples.
      I gave link long time ago.
      Commander of Black Sea fleet admits in cameras that he ordered Cook to be targeted by Bastion radar.

If you wish I will provide you link when I get home.

Poslano sa mog E6653 koristeći Tapatalk
      Fortess fortuan adiuvat

Comment

• Originally posted by hawker_gb View Post
        I gave link long time ago.
        Commander of Black Sea fleet admits in cameras that he ordered Cook to be targeted by Bastion radar.
        That I can believe - but the question is about the exact manoeuvre seen here.

A close shave of the bridge of an opposing ship.

Comment

It's far more serious to be targeted by system from which you have slight to no chance to defend yourself then some jet fly by.

Fortess fortuan adiuvat

Comment

• Well yes but that's not the item under discussion here,

in order to determine if this is professional behaviour or not we would need to know the exact order given.

Comment

If we are to believe our pro russkie crowd, it would seem the next fly by would have been an actual attack. Why would Putin be so keen on starting a war? The Cook was operating in international waters with local allies.

The Russian military would be rapidly mauled, leaving Putin with the choice of accepting loss, or going nuclear.

He's like an out of control kid in the back seat of the car. He'll keep it up until dad actually pulls over, turns around and slaps the little punk silly.

Or maybe he just wants to get his kicks while Bobo is still president.
              Last edited by Gixxer86g; 28 Apr 16, 04:09.
              ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

• Mauled?
                Wishful thinking.

Fortess fortuan adiuvat

Comment

• Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                  If we are to believe our pro russkie crowd, it would seem the next fly by would have been an actual attack. Why would Putin be so keen on starting a war? The Cook was operating in international waters with local allies.
                  But do you believe any commander would *order* such a manoeuvre, let alone confirm that order on the record ?

Comment

But do you believe any commander would *order* such a manoeuvre, let alone confirm that order on the record ?
                    That order you won't find in records.

Fortess fortuan adiuvat

Comment

I could see a commander suggesting a maneuver such as that. Not on the record though.

But I really think the pilot just ended up way closer to the Cook than he desired.
                      ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

• Indeed -

a suggestive order, followed by some "sportsmanship" from the flyboys would be my guess as well.

Comment

Indeed -

a suggestive order, followed by some "sportsmanship" from the flyboys would be my guess as well.
                          Maybe add a little vodka......
                          ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                            I could see a commander suggesting a maneuver such as that. Not on the record though.
                            A remark in conversation perhaps? Bit like Henry II saying "who will rid me of this turbulent priest?" and four knights ride off to Canterbury and hack Thomas Becket to death in his own cathedral. Henry then says something to the effect "I never ordered any one to do that".
                            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Your unwavering trust in superpowers militaries' behaviour is endearing

Anyone else ? An order or a "Maverick" moment ?
                              If I may pull something out of my bag of Swedish airforce tricks of the Cold War.

Swedish planes would not just buzz Sovet warships at supersonic speeds, they would try to do so in such a manner that the sonic bang would hit the ship, damaging it and injuring crew. This was at least known, understood and not disapproved of...

So there is a matter of these things being "games played in the Baltic", and possibly this not being quite what the US forces are used to?

And then it's a matter of these things clearly being acts of domination. Howwever, they tend to be pulled of by the actually weaker party in any kind of confrontation. The acts of domination are there, including the acceptance of the risks entailed, but it is not a sign of actual dominance...

Comment

• Originally posted by Johan Banér View Post
                                (...) Swedish planes would not just buzz Sovet warships at supersonic speeds, they would try to do so in such a manner that the sonic bang would hit the ship, damaging it and injuring crew. This was at least known, understood and not disapproved of...
                                "Knocking the silverware off the table in the officers mess."

It exists in all branches - usually though it is something you do to *upset* a commander - not to please him.

Reminds me of the 19th century Hussars - always trouble, but sometimes useful

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                  Robi P.
                                  by casanova
                                  The Austrian soldier Toni P. of the Radetzky barack in Horn Nether Austria was forced by his commander to make an march with his comrades in 3th August...
                                  Today, 02:27
                                • casanova
                                  Beirut
                                  by casanova
                                  Gigantic explosion in the city of Beirut. 70 people were killed and 2750 men were heavy hurted. The explosion was like atomic bomb. The cause of that...
                                  Today, 00:47
                                • casanova
                                  Nuclear battleheads.
                                  by casanova
                                  A secret UNO report declares, that North Korea owns already nuclear battleheads for tactical rockets....
                                  Yesterday, 23:58
                                Working...
                                X