Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian Planes Buzz The USS Donald Cook

USS Donald Cook buzzed again by Russian jets in Baltic

Yet again Russian jets made provocatively close passes to an American warship, as tensions continue between Moscow and Washington over the conflicts in Ukraine and Syria.

A senior defense official told CBS News that two recent incidents were "more aggressive than anything we've seen in some time."

The first, on April 11, involved two Russian SU24s, when the USS Donald Cook left the Polish port of Gdynia and was about 70 nautical miles from Kaliningrad in the Baltic Sea. The official said the Russian jets made 20 passes of the American ship and flew within 1,000 yards at an altitude of just 100 feet.

In the second incident on April 12, two Russian KA27 Helix helicopters flew several circles around the Donald Cook, apparently taking photos, after which two jets again made numerous close passes of the ship in what the official described as "Simulated Attack Profile."

Full Story: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/uss-dona...ets-in-baltic/
    "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
    - Col. David Hackworth

Originally posted by DeltaOne View Post

USS Donald Cook buzzed again by Russian jets in Baltic

Yet again Russian jets made provocatively close passes to an American warship, as tensions continue between Moscow and Washington over the conflicts in Ukraine and Syria.

A senior defense official told CBS News that two recent incidents were "more aggressive than anything we've seen in some time."

The first, on April 11, involved two Russian SU24s, when the USS Donald Cook left the Polish port of Gdynia and was about 70 nautical miles from Kaliningrad in the Baltic Sea. The official said the Russian jets made 20 passes of the American ship and flew within 1,000 yards at an altitude of just 100 feet.

In the second incident on April 12, two Russian KA27 Helix helicopters flew several circles around the Donald Cook, apparently taking photos, after which two jets again made numerous close passes of the ship in what the official described as "Simulated Attack Profile."

Full Story: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/uss-dona...ets-in-baltic/
    Nothing new here; both the Russians and the Chinese have proven themselves grossly unprofessional numerous times. One of these days one of these idiots will get himself vaporized by a few hundred CIWS rounds; it's all fun and games until a tungsten round goes right through your stupid skull.

Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
    Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

I wonder what would happen if American planes buzzed a Russian warship?

The Russian pilots are not being unprofessional if they are obeying orders.
      Last edited by Surrey; 14 Apr 16, 07:47.
      "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post

There is very little doubt in mind that those seagoing amateurs would take our folks under fire.
        Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Comment

Perhaps but their superiors are and that may go all the way back to Moscow.

It is an act that is entirely pointless and unnecessary for Russian security. But it is a foolish provocation that could lead to an accident or war. It is one of an endless series of incidents in which Putin is desperately trying to remind everyone who will pay attention that he has a chip on his shoulder and needs to keep Russians focused on the external enemy rather then internal problems.

But as i have been saying for a couple of years now, as long as Putin is in power the Cold War is on, the Western leaders have to make plans accordingly.

Comment

It is international waters. They can fly where they want. Americans do the same thing.

A US guided missile destroyer close to Russia is not provoking at all, no way.
            The same way flying TU-95 close to UK airspace isn't provocative.

Not sure why everyone is making a mountain out of a molehill on this one.
            It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.

Косово је Србија!
            Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by nikolas93TS View Post

It is international waters. They can fly where they want. Americans do the same thing.

If you look at a map you will see that most of the Baltic coastline is made up of NATO or neutral countries. A NATO warship patrolling off the coast of a NATO country is not provocative. Unless Putin wants to change that coastline?
              "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Been there, got the T-shirt

This is nothing new. When INTREPID and company operated in the Baltic in the early '70s the same stuff happened. I can remember being called to GQ one morning. When I got to the 06 level I saw that we were flanked by Soviet frigates about 75 feet off our port and starboard beams. We waved to Ivan with our middle fingers and he waved back.
                As Mr Natural used to say, "Twas ever thus..."
                ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Welcome back to the Cold War. Time to light off the missile tracking radars and get in some real practice.
                  Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Interesting...seems the low fly-by over the bridge seems to have replaced the traditional shot-across-the-bow as a warning between nations. In any case, whether or not this were simulated attacks or intentionally to annoy and scare, it's an obvious attempt at baiting, and will one day result in something really, really bad.

As mentioned before, I do wonder if the Russian navy personnel would be more jittery with the "fire' button than Allied counterparts....hence why we do not see vids of Allied/NATO pilots doing this to Russian warships.
                    You'll live, only the best get killed.

-General Charles de Gaulle

Comment

And if a Russian pilot makes an error and crashes into the vessel he is buzzing with many casualties - what happens then? Criminal negligence on a nuclear scale
                      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                        And if a Russian pilot makes an error and crashes into the vessel he is buzzing with many casualties - what happens then? Criminal negligence on a nuclear scale
                        Or, considering the garbage the Russians were flying, a mechanical error at just the right time.

Anyhoo, just another test to highlight Bobo's lack of leadership.
                        ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

I'm just surprised we haven't had anyone claim this is just a lie perpetuated by the Corporate/CIA/Jewish-controlled media trying to defame innocent Russia again.

After all, where are the proofs? The video is an obvious forgery made for ignorant Western audiences.

Comment

If you look at a map you will see that most of the Baltic coastline is made up of NATO or neutral countries. A NATO warship patrolling off the coast of a NATO country is not provocative. Unless Putin wants to change that coastline?
                            You can bet the Farm that he does.
                            And yes, LOOK at that map. The Baltic is not a Russian Lake, and it never really was. They have that little slice of what used to be East Prussia and St. Petersburg, and that's it. There is also 3 Baltic States, Finland, Sweden, Denmark Germany and Poland.

This ship was coming out of a visit to Poland, so I guess that's why the Kremlin wanted this. They wanted to send a couple of messages;
                            1- Don't get too friendly with Poland, or we will kill you.
                            2- To Poland; Don't get to friendly with the West, or we'll kill you. Again. As we have done in the past, many many times!

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                            It wasn't that long ago that a Chinese pilot was pulling the exact same stunt on a US Patrol plane, a P-3 Orion, and crashed into it.
                            I don't recall Obama doing much about that one at all.

The enemy have 9 more months to mess around and humiliate our armed forces any way they can. Expect more of this sort of thing every month.
                            Expect that people will be killed.
                            "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by nikolas93TS View Post

If you look at the photo included in the thread you will see why. What that pilot did was insanely unsafe. In fact that pilot was quite lucky that the close in weapon system (CWS) on the USS Donald Cook was either shut down or in safe mode. I have seen aircraft that towed target drones for the CWS that were almost destroyed after the target was vaporized because the ship's CWS literally kept shooting at the tow cable and as the cable would vanish the system was literally still firing and making its way to the tow aircraft. That knucklehead in the pilot seat of that SU-24 is lucky that he is alive.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X