Interesting Little Presidential Factoid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Little Presidential Factoid

No Democratic Presidents have been elected back to back since 1856! (Franklin Pierce giving way to James Buchanan).

Franklin Roosevelt-Harry Truman and John Kennedy-Lyndon Johnson do not really count as the latters both inherited the presidency from the deaths of their predecessors.

Question of the day: Is the law of averages about to catch up to the GOP?

Tuebor

Originally posted by Tuebor View Post
    No Democratic Presidents have been elected back to back since 1856! (Franklin Pierce giving way to James Buchanan).

Franklin Roosevelt-Harry Truman and John Kennedy-Lyndon Johnson do not really count as the latters both inherited the presidency from the deaths of their predecessors.

Question of the day: Is the law of averages about to catch up to the GOP?

Tuebor
    Both Truman and Johnson got elected also. That blows your factoid.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
      Both Truman and Johnson got elected also. That blows your factoid.
      Go back and actually read the post.
      Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

It's got nothing to do with the law of averages and everything to do with voter satisfaction. Get tired of the incumbents? Vote the other party in.

Voters ignored the law of averages totally when they failed to elect a former military man starting with Lil' Bush, who disgraced himself and his alleged military career by not even showing up for duty. Previously, a well known general or someone like GW Sr. would make his way to the presidency on a regular interval. McCain would have been that someone but Americans got carried away with a black nobody who turned out to be totally incompetent, so the odds of a Dumbocrat being elected this time around have gone way down.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuebor View Post
          ...Is the law of averages about to catch up to the GOP?...
          Wouldn't that depend on who becomes the GOP nominee?

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
            Go back and actually read the post.
            . Clinton also goes against the op's opinion as well as Obummer

On the GOP side we have Ray Gun followed by Bush. I can't think of another example were we have had two back to back GOPer's in the WH.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              It's got nothing to do with the law of averages and everything to do with voter satisfaction. Get tired of the incumbents? Vote the other party in.

Voters ignored the law of averages totally when they failed to elect a former military man starting with Lil' Bush, who disgraced himself and his alleged military career by not even showing up for duty. Previously, a well known general or someone like GW Sr. would make his way to the presidency on a regular interval. McCain would have been that someone but Americans got carried away with a black nobody who turned out to be totally incompetent, so the odds of a Dumbocrat being elected this time around have gone way down.
              McCain showed that he didn't have a clear mind when he selected the Moose Mama either.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                . Clinton also goes against the op's opinion as well as Obummer

On the GOP side we have Ray Gun followed by Bush. I can't think of another example were we have had two back to back GOPer's in the WH.
                No. They don't.

Tuebor is talking about consecutive elections after full terms.

Truman finished FDR's 4th term and then was elected in 1948. This doesn't count because he ran after having assumed the presidency through succession. LBJ finished JFK's term before running, so he doesn't count.

Had Ford defeated Carter, he wouldn't have counted either, because he assumed the office through succession after Nixon resigned.

The last "back to back" same party elections were those of Reagan and Bush-41. It has been unusual for either party to hold the presidency through consecutive administrations of different presidents since the 1920's.

It's kind of an arcane concept.
                Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

I was wondering why Obama still hasn't endorsed anyone... or even revealed who he voted for in the Illinois Primary.

Hmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                    I was wondering why Obama still hasn't endorsed anyone... or even revealed who he voted for in the Illinois Primary.

Hmmm...
                    Nobody's told him who to endorse since he doesn't know who's running himself...

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post

Hmmm...
                      Because Obama's "endorsement" is the Kiss of Death? That's like getting a character reference from Jack the Ripper.

Comment

Some say that Gore did it in 2000

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          ...... Americans got carried away with a black nobody who turned out to be totally incompetent, ......
                          Well, no one can say we didn't warn them.

I hate being right all the time!

GG
                          "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

"Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                            No. They don't.

Tuebor is talking about consecutive elections after full terms.

Truman finished FDR's 4th term and then was elected in 1948. This doesn't count because he ran after having assumed the presidency through succession. LBJ finished JFK's term before running, so he doesn't count.

Had Ford defeated Carter, he wouldn't have counted either, because he assumed the office through succession after Nixon resigned.

The last "back to back" same party elections were those of Reagan and Bush-41. It has been unusual for either party to hold the presidency through consecutive administrations of different presidents since the 1920's.

It's kind of an arcane concept.
                            Post a chart so he gets it.
                            My worst jump story:
                            My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                            As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                            No lie.

~
                            "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
                              Well, no one can say we didn't warn them.

I hate being right all the time!

GG
                              And those same idiots that said it was time for a black president are now saying what?
                              My worst jump story:
                              My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                              As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                              No lie.

~
                              "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X