My First Real World Encounter with Liberal Academia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Real World Encounter with Liberal Academia

I have not been on the forum in quite sometime but I need to make this post partially to vent my frustrations and partially to see others experiences.

I am a senior at a university which I will not name, finishing a business degree. I already have a great consulting gig lined up after graduation so I should be coasting at this point just enjoying things. However, I am in one anthropology elective about the justice system that I cannot stand. This is the kind of thing I have heard about on TV but never thought I would see it at my school. The professor started the class the first day on the opening premise that the justice system was inherently racist and that prisons in general were evil. We were even assigned Angela Davis readings the second week, that way we can ease ourselves into the really radical stuff later. Claims as bold as the U.S government has used ghettos and prisons to isolate African-Americans and get cheap labor since slavery is illegal now have been common in this course. The 13th amendment was purposely written with a back door clause to allow the government to use prisoners as de facto slave labor. This sounds like crazy conspiracy talk to me. My favorite though was when we were told there is no correlation between crime and income/race. I had to ask the professor to repeat herself because I couldn't believe what I was hearing. There are never any statistics to accompany any of these claims and never any real working solutions to fix actual problems that exist, just finger pointing and excuses.

My question is should I speak up and ask the professor tough questions? Or should I just sit on my grade and ride it out?

Thanks
    “Come and take it!"

Originally posted by ForIAmSparticus View Post
    I have not been on the forum in quite sometime but I need to make this post partially to vent my frustrations and partially to see others experiences.

I am a senior at a university which I will not name, finishing a business degree. I already have a great consulting gig lined up after graduation so I should be coasting at this point just enjoying things. However, I am in one anthropology elective about the justice system that I cannot stand. This is the kind of thing I have heard about on TV but never thought I would see it at my school. The professor started the class the first day on the opening premise that the justice system was inherently racist and that prisons in general were evil. We were even assigned Angela Davis readings the second week, that way we can ease ourselves into the really radical stuff later. Claims as bold as the U.S government has used ghettos and prisons to isolate African-Americans and get cheap labor since slavery is illegal now have been common in this course. The 13th amendment was purposely written with a back door clause to allow the government to use prisoners as de facto slave labor. This sounds like crazy conspiracy talk to me. My favorite though was when we were told there is no correlation between crime and income/race. I had to ask the professor to repeat herself because I couldn't believe what I was hearing. There are never any statistics to accompany any of these claims and never any real working solutions to fix actual problems that exist, just finger pointing and excuses.

My question is should I speak up and ask the professor tough questions? Or should I just sit on my grade and ride it out?

Thanks

Call me sexiest but when you said "herself" it all made sense.
    “I do not wish to have the slave emancipated because I love him, but because I hate his master."
    --Salmon P. Chase

Comment

Are you kidding?!?

Keep your mouth SHUT while you are in that classroom. Your grades are in the hands of absolute fanatics who's every thought, word and deed is dedicated to the annihilation of everyone who's thought=patterns work differently from their own.
      Play dumb, exactly as you would if you were behind the Iron Curtain in the days of Jo Stalin. In all likelihood, that teacher is looking to smoke people like you out and do whatever harm to your future she can.

However ... there are ways to turn the tables, outside the classroom.
      Check the laws there, and keep a detailed audio record of what is being said there. You can even post that audio with a pic of the teacher overlaid on YouTube if you get something really juicy.

You can also form a counter-culture club, one dedicated to answering the worst of the lies and distortions in the classrooms. Issue an underground newspaper, or more likely a broadsheet... if you are sure you can keep your identity a secret.

And get together with other disgruntled students that you see in your class. Let them know they are not alone and network with them. They could have some really good ideas about how to fight this evil weirdness.

But... saying anything at all to that Teacher and her ilk makes about as much sense as asking Mao why everyone with clean shoes had to die back in the 1960s.
      "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Question is can you afford to fail the course? Second and bigger question is your own self worth. Being quite is the easy way but are you being true to yourself. Is she offering only opinion or does she have other references? Does she have evidence that supports multi children mothers from multi fathers who disappear? Does she have an agenda of the Blacks being victims? and, and, and...

I guess it well be asked but is she Black?
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Better yet tell her that her claim the U.S government has used ghettos and prisons to isolate African-Americans and get cheap labor since slavery is illegal is only partially true. Tell her the North did just that in the antebellum period with white people, particularly immigrants. But once they freed the slaves they had an even easier group to exploit which was their plan all along. Making nice little Republican voters out of them to solidify the party's position in charge for years to come was also an added bonus.
          “I do not wish to have the slave emancipated because I love him, but because I hate his master."
          --Salmon P. Chase

Comment

I think it is OK for an academic to take a position and argue it out. However, if you disagree, make a good case in you assignment or whatever, supported by references and evidence, and are marked down because you hold a different view, that is the point to launch the fireworks.
            Ne Obliviscaris, Sans Peur

Comment

Zip your lip for one, second record the class and the teacher and document the lectures, third once you graduate publish.
              Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Thanks
                I run into the same **** everyday, it gets old real fast. One of the arguments that I often hear is that the riots and looting in Baltimore was justified because those businesses were exploiting the black community. Funny how those businesses do so well, don't like them then boycott them. Heard a girl in my class justify how her grandfather murdered someone and the family did better as a result, as if it made her family straighten up. That black life didn't matter! Insane method of thinking.

I do go off in class at times, but you better have your **** together and know from personal experience not opinion or you will be turned into mincemeat. In most cases the conversation ends there and is never brought up again. Sometimes I will just let it ride, but I have found that some professors are gutless to stand up to me and will drop the subject, "we need to move on" is the classic quote. Trust me I don't do this everyday but if I know I can win I will challenge them. If your grade is unfair then have them do an audit. Or the safer method is to ding him/her on the evaluation.

My problem is that I'm a target, white, male, straight, conservative and NRA member.
                My worst jump story:
                My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                No lie.

~
                "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                  Zip your lip for one, second record the class and the teacher and document the lectures, third once you graduate publish.
                  This, but get video and once clear of the school post it on YouTube.
                  Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Thanks
                    I was in a similar situation and I pulled a C for the course because, as usual, I simply could not keep my mouth shut. The question is, are you willing to take a hit on your GPA?
                    Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
                    Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Thanks
                      There are two answers here:

1. Speak up for your ethics and morals and challenge the professor, and fail his class.

2. Ride it out, but drop a word to someone like Fox News that racism and bigotry is being pushed under the disguise of an academic agenda. Then sit back and watch the fun.

I'm a #2 kind of guy.
                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Here at Mizzou we had the assistant professor who assaulted that journalism student and months later finally got fired. I think it came down to pressure from the state legislature over some of MU's funding to make them pull the trigger on her. She plead guilty to assault and got a slap on the wrist as far as law enforcement, but the point is she was guilty, shown on the news nationwide assaulting this student and still it took months and pressure from outside to force her out. There's still talk of her firing being reviewed as being unfair from somewhere...college professor's professional organization or something. If it takes that much to get one associate professor fired I'd say not much you can do in most cases to do any harm to one...I'd just play along, maybe give her a bad evaluation if that's possible and move on. She is the system.

Comment

You can play this one of three ways:

1. Keep your mouth shut and ride the course out. Spew out the vomit the professor wants knowing it is all the ravings of an ill-informed bigot. (I doubt that professor has ever even visited a prison, particularly a federal one.)

2. Lawyer up and prepare for war. Start asking hard questions. Start questioning his premises. You need to really dive into the subject in order to do this as you will need ammunition to hammer him with. When he marks down papers and tests for your contrary answers (well documented of course), you file a formal complaint with the university administration about academic integrity, fraud, and such to start the process. Get the local news media involved. Contact conservative outlets and speakers about your situation as well as neutral ones like FIRE who will investigate the professor.
                          This likely will end in court and if you played your cards right you could get all the cash you put into destroying this guy back along with a hefty sum from the university along with an apology.
                          While this guy's reputation will take a hit, it won't get him fired and it may even make him something of a martyr to his Leftist colleagues. The university will survive the monetary damage and you will have wasted a year or more making your point. But, if you ever have to take another class, anywhere, like that one the prof will give you a very wide berth knowing you are a vicious grizzly bear who will make his life a living hell for at least a year if he doesn't.

3. Take the middle road. Do 1. above. At the same time take copious notes about this professor's bias, bigotry, and such. Contact conservative outlets and groups like FIRE who will go after him for you.
                          You might ask innocuous questions in class. "Professor, have you visited any of the prisons you're discussing? I'd like to hear about your personal experiences doing that."
                          (you get the information you want... whether he has first hand experience... while stroking his ego to keep out of trouble).

"Professor, how do prisons generally use 'slave labor? What products do they produce? I'd like to know so I can avoid them in protest of these practices."

(Again, you get the information you want while giving him a reason that says "I buy everything you're saying hook, line, and sinker.")

With this approach, you have to be careful to always couch any question this way. Ask for the information you want and give him a reason that says you are asking because you follow the party line and want to advance his agenda.
                          Think through your questions like those above out of class. Write them down and practice asking them. Make absolutely sure you have the party line comments woven into them. Once he gets comfortable with you asking such questions he'll see you as a good little apparatchik and cut you some slack if you slip up with a question. You can beg forgiveness for one at that point.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                            You can play this one of three ways:

1. Keep your mouth shut and ride the course out. Spew out the vomit the professor wants knowing it is all the ravings of an ill-informed bigot. (I doubt that professor has ever even visited a prison, particularly a federal one.)

2. Lawyer up and prepare for war. Start asking hard questions. Start questioning his premises. You need to really dive into the subject in order to do this as you will need ammunition to hammer him with. When he marks down papers and tests for your contrary answers (well documented of course), you file a formal complaint with the university administration about academic integrity, fraud, and such to start the process. Get the local news media involved. Contact conservative outlets and speakers about your situation as well as neutral ones like FIRE who will investigate the professor.
                            This likely will end in court and if you played your cards right you could get all the cash you put into destroying this guy back along with a hefty sum from the university along with an apology.
                            While this guy's reputation will take a hit, it won't get him fired and it may even make him something of a martyr to his Leftist colleagues. The university will survive the monetary damage and you will have wasted a year or more making your point. But, if you ever have to take another class, anywhere, like that one the prof will give you a very wide berth knowing you are a vicious grizzly bear who will make his life a living hell for at least a year if he doesn't.

3. Take the middle road. Do 1. above. At the same time take copious notes about this professor's bias, bigotry, and such. Contact conservative outlets and groups like FIRE who will go after him for you.
                            You might ask innocuous questions in class. "Professor, have you visited any of the prisons you're discussing? I'd like to hear about your personal experiences doing that."
                            (you get the information you want... whether he has first hand experience... while stroking his ego to keep out of trouble).

"Professor, how do prisons generally use 'slave labor? What products do they produce? I'd like to know so I can avoid them in protest of these practices."

(Again, you get the information you want while giving him a reason that says "I buy everything you're saying hook, line, and sinker.")

With this approach, you have to be careful to always couch any question this way. Ask for the information you want and give him a reason that says you are asking because you follow the party line and want to advance his agenda.
                            Think through your questions like those above out of class. Write them down and practice asking them. Make absolutely sure you have the party line comments woven into them. Once he gets comfortable with you asking such questions he'll see you as a good little apparatchik and cut you some slack if you slip up with a question. You can beg forgiveness for one at that point.

Hope that helps.
                            Number 2 sounds like a whiney leftist approach to me. Safe spaces and all.
                            --Salmon P. Chase

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              There are two answers here:

1. Speak up for your ethics and morals and challenge the professor, and fail his class.

2. Ride it out, but drop a word to someone like Fox News that racism and bigotry is being pushed under the disguise of an academic agenda. Then sit back and watch the fun.

I'm a #2 kind of guy.
                              I had to ask the professor to repeat herself
                              Didn't you read the post?
                              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X