The Unaffordable Health Care Act and Your Taxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Now you must ask yourself whose paychecks her "refund" came out of, because the government has no money of its own - just what it takes from the wage earners/citizens.

There is no free lunch - ever.

She could have settled for Medicare but wanted to avoid freeloading off taxpayers by paying for her own health plan. The plan she picked actually cost $600/month. After the federal subsidies are deducted, it comes out to around $250/month. She felt guilty taking the subsidies but wouldn't have been able to afford it otherwise.

She only filed her taxes to prove she qualify for the subsidies, she didn't know it would get her a refund check.
    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
      She could have settled for Medicare but wanted to avoid freeloading off taxpayers by paying for her own health plan. The plan she picked actually cost $600/month. After the federal subsidies are deducted, it comes out to around $250/month. She felt guilty taking the subsidies but wouldn't have been able to afford it otherwise.

She only filed her taxes to prove she qualify for the subsidies, she didn't know it would get her a refund check.

And what does she think the subsidies are?
      Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Tsar View Post
        And what does she think the subsidies are?

She need the subsidies or else go on Medicare. I give her credit for taking the route that's least of a burden on taxpayers.

When she got her refund, she thought it was an IRS error. She have no income source other than her paltry monthly SS check, there should be no reason for a refund.

I told her that if she made a big deal out of it, she might get audited.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

She need the subsidies or else go on Medicare. I give her credit for taking the route that's least of a burden on taxpayers.

When she got her refund, she thought it was an IRS error. She have no income source other than her paltry monthly SS check, there should be no reason for a refund.

Oh so she feels okay about taking tax payers money because “she needs it” but not about getting a refund? Sure there is logic for you.
          Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

So, she's fine getting other taxpayers to subsidize her healthcare plan but not to have taxpayers pay for it outright... Either way she's getting health care at the expense of others.
            I won't even give her credit for taking the route of least burden. I don't know what the expense per person per month Medicare is, but until we do know she may well be taking larger chunks of change from others buying a subsidized health plan and getting a tax refund on money she didn't pay in that being on Medicare.

As to being solely on social security... That's an individual's problem, neither mine or the public at large's. If you failed to plan for a retirement, that's your problem, not mine and I feel in no way obligated to pay for your mistake.

Comment

The plan she picked actually cost $600/month.
              That's half of most SS income. Even subsidized to where her cost is $250 a month, that is some 20% of her total income. She has to be living in the streets or with several other singles on SS in order to be able to eat and have basic shelter.
              “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Oh so she feels okay about taking tax payers money because “she needs it” but not about getting a refund? Sure there is logic for you.
                Or she could just not have insurance and stiff the hospital when she needs emergency care, which the hospital would just pass on to us in higher premiums on our insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                  Or she could just not have insurance and stiff the hospital when she needs emergency care, which the hospital would just pass on to us in higher premiums on our insurance.

What you think they don't anyway?

Comment

What you think they don't anyway?
                    Oh, I know they do. At least now, we're getting some money from them instead of a big, fat zero.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                      So, she's fine getting other taxpayers to subsidize her healthcare plan but not to have taxpayers pay for it outright... Either way she's getting health care at the expense of others.
                      I won't even give her credit for taking the route of least burden. I don't know what the expense per person per month Medicare is, but until we do know she may well be taking larger chunks of change from others buying a subsidized health plan and getting a tax refund on money she didn't pay in that being on Medicare.

As to being solely on social security... That's an individual's problem, neither mine or the public at large's. If you failed to plan for a retirement, that's your problem, not mine and I feel in no way obligated to pay for your mistake.

She only had 2 choices, free Medicare/Medical that comes with Social Security or buy her own plan.

She’s only in this financial mess because her now deceased husband spent all their money on mistresses. She didn’t know he was unfaithful nor the debt he had amassed until he passed away 3 years ago. She had to sell their home of 40 years and wiped out her savings to pay off his debts.

She have to start all over again on her own at age 67. After what she’s been through, I’m not going to give her a hard time. Plus, she paid into the system, she’s entitled to her SSI benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
                        That's half of most SS income. Even subsidized to where her cost is $250 a month, that is some 20% of her total income. She has to be living in the streets or with several other singles on SS in order to be able to eat and have basic shelter.

After paying off the bill collectors, she was able to afford a small mobile home. She's in a senior mobile home park and her monthly dues come out to $600. She barely gets by every month but she's hanging in there.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X