Mississippi gov. signs law allowing service denial to gays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mississippi gov. signs law allowing service denial to gays

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — Mississippi's governor signed a law Tuesday that allows religious groups and some private businesses to refuse service to gay couples based on religious beliefs.

Gov. Phil Bryant signed House Bill 1523, despite opposition from gay-rights groups and some businesses who say it enables discrimination. Some conservative and religious groups support the bill.

The measure's stated intention is to protect those who believe that marriage should be between one man and one woman, that sexual relations should only take place inside such marriages, and that male and female genders are unchangeable.

"This bill merely reinforces the rights which currently exist to the exercise of religious freedom as stated in the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution," the Republican governor wrote in a statement posted to his Twitter account.
    AP - Full Article

What makes this really interesting is the current situation in the Supreme Court. If this gets challenged and does go up to the Supreme Court in a few years, the GOP will be praying that they won this presidential race so they can restore the 5-4 lead.

Even the current 4-4 stalemate is too close for comfort.

Don't forget they also eliminated any course of action against those refusing service to all of those 'shacking up'. So you can no be refused a hotel room as a couple unless your legally married. Same with a table at a restaurant etc.
    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
    “To talk of many things:
    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
    Of cabbages—and kings—
    And why the sea is boiling hot—
    And whether pigs have wings.”
    ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — Mississippi's governor signed a law Tuesday that allows religious groups and some private businesses to refuse service to gay couples based on religious beliefs.
      I am requesting a little clarification; which small businesses, exactly? What kind?

I would also like to know if those who want to see the public forced into contact with Homosexuals would also like to see the public forced into contact with the Evangelicals too?

I myself would rather not be Preached to be EITHER group.
      Its one reason I no longer watch TV, in fact.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
        I am requesting a little clarification; which small businesses, exactly? What kind?

I would also like to know if those who want to see the public forced into contact with Homosexuals would also like to see the public forced into contact with the Evangelicals too?

Honestly, I'm not sure.

I imagine that it may have to apply to certain utilities (no cutting of power to gay couples) or medical service (no turning away people from the ER for being gay) and the like.

Here's the full text it seems: Link

Hmm... yeah, there are exceptions built into the law. For example, if you have my mother or sister in a hospital bed, you can't deny me the ability to visit them on the basis of my sexual orientation, even though you could deny me the ability to get plastic surgery at your hospital.

Comment

Here is the text:

http://index.ls.state.ms.us/isysnati...=/hb1523in.pdf

SECTION 3. The sincerely held religious beliefs or moral
          78 convictions protected by this act are the belief or conviction
          79 that:
          80 (a) Marriage is or should be recognized as the union of
          81 one man and one woman;
          82 (b) Sexual relations are properly reserved to such a
          83 marriage; and
          84 (c) Male (man) or female (woman) refer to an
          85 individual's immutable biological sex as objectively determined by
          86 anatomy and genetics at time of birth.
          Above is the list of beliefs covered.

Here is the businesses covered.

(5) The state government shall not take any discriminatory
          136 action against a person wholly or partially on the basis that the
          137 person has provided or declined to provide the following services,
          138 accommodations, facilities, goods, or privileges for a purpose
          139 related to the solemnization, formation, celebration, or
          140 recognition of any marriage, based upon or in a manner consistent
          141 with a sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction
          142 described in Section 3 of this act:
          143 (a) Photography, poetry, videography, disc-jockey
          144 services, wedding planning, printing, publishing or similar
          145 marriage-related goods or services; or
          (b) Floral arrangements, dress making, cake or pastry
          147 artistry, assembly-hall or other wedding-venue rentals, limousine
          148 or other car-service rentals, jewelry sales and services, or
          149 similar marriage-related services, accommodations, facilities or
          150 goods
          “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
          “To talk of many things:
          Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
          Of cabbages—and kings—
          And why the sea is boiling hot—
          And whether pigs have wings.”
          ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

damn, there goes Prom Night and Spring Break and even being a teenager. Go Mississippi, advance. Why do so many think poorly of this State.
            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
              damn, there goes Prom Night and Spring Break and even being a teenager. Go Mississippi, advance. Why do so many think poorly of this State.
              Is it still 1960 there?
              "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                Don't forget they also eliminated any course of action against those refusing service to all of those 'shacking up'. So you can now be refused a hotel room as a couple unless your legally married. Same with a table at a restaurant etc.
                That's a rather shoddy business model, why would you "shack up" in a motel if you're legally married ?

Adjourning rooms with a door ?
                Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
                  That's a rather shoddy business model, why would you "shack up" in a motel if you're legally married ?

Adjourning rooms with a door ?
                  What if you are both legally married to other people?
                  "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Adultery with mutual consent ?

You'd probably need a signed note from your spouse wherein she officially gives you permission to shack up in a motel room so she can do the same.

It's all very complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                      AP - Full Article

What makes this really interesting is the current situation in the Supreme Court. If this gets challenged and does go up to the Supreme Court in a few years, the GOP will be praying that they won this presidential race so they can restore the 5-4 lead.

Even the current 4-4 stalemate is too close for comfort.
                      Another bit of legislation enacted at the behest of social conservatives that colludes directly with the U.S. Constitution. It is complete BS! God save me from those who would save me from myself!
                      Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
                      Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
                        Another bit of legislation enacted at the behest of social conservatives that colludes directly with the U.S. Constitution. It is complete BS! God save me from those who would save me from myself!
                        "The right of the people to freely shack up shall not be infringed upon."

Comment

But your television has channel changer and an OFF switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
                            "The right of the people to freely shack up shall not be infringed upon."

Actually, the discrimination laws are based on not acting based on "race, color or creed." Doesn't say anything about sexual orientation and never did, nor does it require 300 million Americans to tolerate that which they find offensive. Those Americans are free to disassociate themselves from the offenders.

Gays need to remind themselves that everyone has rights, not just them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Actually, the discrimination laws are based on not acting based on "race, color or creed." Doesn't say anything about sexual orientation and never did, nor does it require 300 million Americans to tolerate that which they find offensive. Those Americans are free to disassociate themselves from the offenders.

Gays need to remind themselves that everyone has rights, not just them.
                              Creed
                              : a statement of the basic beliefs of a religion
                              : an idea or set of beliefs that guides the actions of a person or group

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/creed

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X