House GOP's 2010 Tea Party Class Heads For The Exits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House GOP's 2010 Tea Party Class Heads For The Exits

Like so many Americans approaching retirement, Virginia Republican Rep. Scott Rigell dreams about spending a little more time on the water.

"I have a little rowboat called Miss Nelly. She's 13 ft. long and there's not a motor on it. There's no radio on it. And I'm so looking forward to being on that rowboat," says Rigell.

Rigell is retiring after just six years in Congress. He was one of the 87 Republicans who rode the Tea Party wave to a pivotal GOP takeover of the House.

At the end of this Congress, more than one-third of that class will be gone from the U.S. House.

Like many of those freshman lawmakers, Rigell had never held any public office before he arrived in Washington. Before he took office, Rigell was a car salesman.

He ran as an "outsider" in a year when voters were tired of political insiders.

As it turns out, some people who never harbored ambitions to be career politicians don't love being politicians.
    NPR - Full Article

He ran as an "outsider" in a year when voters were tired of political insiders.

That has not changed, as we have seen.

As it turns out, some people who never harbored ambitions to be career politicians don't love being politicians.
    As if anyone needed even more reasons to love the TEA Party-
    They know when to leave, instead of becoming Barnacles, entrenched power-mongers corrupted for life by the DC Machine.

What.... was this supposed to be seen as a negative?
    Sorry, not seeing it that way.

Comment

This is the way the House was designed to work...

Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
        And this guy, this used car salesman, gets to enjoy his 'well earned', full-benefitted government pension for the rest of his natural life.I hope his little rowboat sinks with him in it....preferably a couple miles from shore.
        Last edited by Jose50; 04 Apr 16, 11:26.
        ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
        IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
          And this guy, this used car salesman gets to enjoy his well earned full-benefitted government pension for the rest of his natural life.I hope his little rowboat sinks with him in it....preferably a couple miles from shore.
          So I take it you'll be declining your pension?

Or do your standards only apply to others?
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
            This is the way the House was designed to work...

The Cincinnatus story is a small but persistent part of the American political myth.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

We don't get to make our own pension plan; they do.

Comment

I had to do considerably more than six years to qualify for a pension as do most Americans. How long do YOU have to be in YOUR job in order to qualify?
                ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

I had to do considerably more than six years to qualify for a pension as do most Americans. How long do YOU have to be in YOUR job in order to qualify?
                  Then it should be changed.
                  It is one hell of a Golden Parachute, as is the case with all Govt jobs.

I don't think that ANY Congressman or Senator should have any retirement package whatsoever.
                  Nothing.
                  They get too many perks as it is, and so many of them go on to Lobby jobs and/or high-powered Banking jobs that its a crime to pile on even more cash.
                  Most of them are millionaires anyway, look it up.

Comment

The amount they told me on day 1, same as you and this Congressman.

Thing is, he got the better job.

No point in hating someone for that.

Actually I could have retired six years ago.
                    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

And this guy, this used car salesman, gets to enjoy his 'well earned', full-benefitted government pension for the rest of his natural life.I hope his little rowboat sinks with him in it....preferably a couple miles from shore.
                      To be clear, he was NOT just a used car salesman. He owned several of the Freedom dealerships in the Hampton Roads area. I agree with you that congress members should not get full pensions for serving just a single term, in fact I would say limit them to two terms, then send them on their way with nothing but a "Thank you for your service."
                      Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years...

Comment

The amount they told me on day 1, same as you and this Congressman.

Thing is, he got the better job.

No point in hating someone for that.

Actually I could have retired six years ago.

You dodged the question, Rimmer. You were specifically asked how long. Do you feel a need to hide that information from others? After all, the whole national issue of law enforcement retirement benefits has been pretty dodgy from the beginning. Lot of scandals, corruption and just plain stealing from the public coffers.

Will you be turning down your retirement?

Comment

Originally posted by drivin-fool View Post
                          To be clear, he was NOT just a used car salesman. He owned several of the Freedom dealerships in the Hampton Roads area. I agree with you that congress members should not get full pensions for serving just a single term, in fact I would say limit them to two terms, then send them on their way with nothing but a "Thank you for your service."
                          The trouble with that is it would transfer massive power to the Senate (12 years service as apposed to 4) and to the Federal appointees and bureaucrats, who will have an easy time staying ahead of short-service Congressmen.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X