Media manipulation ? : Spiegel Poll: Hillary ahead of Trump in all key states

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    What I'd be interested in seeing is a breakdown of positive to negative articles published in say the last 90 days about Trump and Clinton...

I'm willing to bet articles about Trump have been overwhelmingly negative while those about Clinton were mostly neutral or positive.
    I haven't see much positive written about either one. Then I don't believe there is much positive to write about those two. #1 #2

Can't we do better than these two?
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
      Can't we do better than these two?
      Funny I tend to find myself with similar thoughts every four years "Can't you do better than this shower?" but then didn't someone once say "anyone who is prepared to do what it takes to become president is probably unfit to hold the office" Richard Condon I think
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Manipulation of the news has been going on even before William Randal Hurst drag the country into a war with Spain. Back then, it was called Yellow Journalism.
        “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

What I'd be interested in seeing is a breakdown of positive to negative articles published in say the last 90 days about Trump and Clinton...

I'm willing to bet articles about Trump have been overwhelmingly negative while those about Clinton were mostly neutral or positive.
          No Bet!

GG
          "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

"Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

Comment

I actually did a study about the tone of media bias by the media last year. It was a small sample run, but I'm considering expanding it out, or at least narrowing the focus.

The funny thing is that Fox News actually lends itself to more examination because its search engine is actually decent and it posts (many of) its transcripts.

Trying to compare Fox to CNN is a pain in the ass because of how terrible CNN's search engine is when looking for specific phrases within a certain time-frame.

Still, you don't have to look too far to see public perception of the media is powerful enough. A good example I remember is from the 2008 elections.

When Obama was running against McCain, the public perception of Obama's coverage was very even - roughly a third thought he was treated favorably, neutrally, and negatively by the media during the election.

However, perception of McCain was overwhelming thought of as negative (something like 60% there), with few people thinking it was positive overall.

That actually ties back into one of the problems identifying "media bias" - the bias can often be subtle and, in this case, much more about what isn't said than what is. Going by public perception, Obama was treated evenly and fairly by the mainstream media - not favored, but not attacked. McCain on the other hand was treated much more negatively, meaning that the bias in favor of Obama really didn't represent itself in overwhelming praising of Obama but just more targeted negative coverage of McCain.

The same has been documented in media coverage of think tanks - conservative ones are routinely questioned more about their bias and credentials than liberal ones.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X