Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FBI cracks phone, Apple now asking for help

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Aller funkwerker ist landesverat!

    That was the motto of the German Y service who did radio traffic intercept of enemy transmissions.

    It means "All radio traffic is high treason." It is appropriate because for all intents cell phones are nothing but fancy radios...

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Salinator View Post
      I think it would have been better to keep all the criminals and terrorists thinking that the phone cannot be hacked.
      This is the first time its made the news that I'm aware of.

      But given the volume of evidence from search warrants on phones appearing in trials, its not really a secret. Fortunately, the criminals and probably the terrorists tend not to be all that bright.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
        This is the first time its made the news that I'm aware of.

        But given the volume of evidence from search warrants on phones appearing in trials, its not really a secret. Fortunately, the criminals and probably the terrorists tend not to be all that bright.
        This particular terrorist is already dead, so no trial. His contacts/associates wouldn't know what hit them until the FBI smashes through their doors. Now with such a public announcement, many that may have been associated would now be fleeing/going underground/changing identities/wiping phones/smashing them/switching to continuous throwaways. And that is not even considering all the possible search warrants to tap those phones.

        Best thing was for the FBI to pretend it was impossible to hack the iPhones and every damn criminal and terrorist would be rushing to a nearby Apple store to upgrade to this 'impervious' technology.
        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

        Prayers.

        BoRG

        http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Salinator View Post
          This particular terrorist is already dead, so no trial. His contacts/associates wouldn't know what hit them until the FBI smashes through their doors. Now with such a public announcement, many that may have been associated would now be fleeing/going underground/changing identities/wiping phones/smashing them/switching to continuous throwaways. And that is not even considering all the possible search warrants to tap those phones.

          Best thing was for the FBI to pretend it was impossible to hack the iPhones and every damn criminal and terrorist would be rushing to a nearby Apple store to upgrade to this 'impervious' technology.
          I see your point. I don't think the Feds were planning on a big press event until Apple made it so.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

          Comment


          • #20
            "Don't call us we'll call you"

            https://youtu.be/s3KeiPjbgcE

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
              Aller funkwerker ist landesverat!

              That was the motto of the German Y service who did radio traffic intercept of enemy transmissions.

              It means "All radio traffic is high treason." It is appropriate because for all intents cell phones are nothing but fancy radios...
              It was not the motto of the German Y service.

              Originally Posted by peter_sym View Post

              Even in WW1 General Ludendorff famously said 'all radio traffic is high treason'.
              Originally Posted by At ease


              Decrypted Secrets: Methods and Maxims of Cryptology
              By Friedrich L. Bauer
              [.....]
              "11.1 Cryptographic Faults
              By faults we mean infringements of security; not just the use of an obvious
              key, but anything which makes life easier for an unauthorized decryptor.
              “Funken ist Landesverrat” (Radioing means high treason) was uttered at the
              beginning of the war, according to his successor General Albert Praun, by
              Major General, later General, Erich Fellgiebel, 1939–1944 Head, Signal Communications
              of the Supreme Command, German Armed Forces
              (Chef der
              Amtsgruppe Wehrmacht-Nachrichtenverbindungswesen im OKW)."
              [.....]
              http://www.springerlink.com/content/p058k3536lk53122/
              https://books.google.com.au/books?id...reason&f=false


              http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...7&postcount=73
              Last edited by At ease; 02 Apr 16, 07:40.
              "It's like shooting rats in a barrel."
              "You'll be in a barrel if you don't watch out for the fighters!"

              "Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
              — Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Sgt. Rock View Post
                "Don't call us we'll call you"
                ... we'll be listening, regardless if you call us or not.
                ScenShare Guidelines:

                1) Enjoy creating it
                2) Enjoy playing it
                3) Enjoy sharing it
                4) Enjoy helping others create them

                The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

                FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

                Comment


                • #23
                  I suspect it's either a case of cyber hubris and Apple didn't believe that the phone was crackable and now have egg on their face or it's a piece of FBI bluff and they want the crimminal/terrorist world to believe that they are vulnerable to hacking and see who panics and gives them selves away
                  Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                  Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    That sounds like a Cold War strategy posed by a Tom Clancy novel. One side could not break a certain communications system of the other so they 'leaked' a claim that they broke the code, in hopes that the enemy would then change to another method that might be easier to circumvent.
                    ScenShare Guidelines:

                    1) Enjoy creating it
                    2) Enjoy playing it
                    3) Enjoy sharing it
                    4) Enjoy helping others create them

                    The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

                    FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                      I suspect it's either a case of cyber hubris and Apple didn't believe that the phone was crackable and now have egg on their face or it's a piece of FBI bluff and they want the crimminal/terrorist world to believe that they are vulnerable to hacking and see who panics and gives them selves away
                      That is not how the hacking works. We have to have physical custody of the phone and a search warrant.

                      And as I said, the extensive use if these systems in trials is well known to the criminals. That's why Tac mentioned the bags: to prevent criminal from remote dumping their phones before we can get a warrant.
                      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Herman Hum View Post
                        That sounds like a Cold War strategy posed by a Tom Clancy novel. One side could not break a certain communications system of the other so they 'leaked' a claim that they broke the code, in hopes that the enemy would then change to another method that might be easier to circumvent.
                        Police agencies have used disinformation for decades.

                        We talk in coffee shops about technology we don't have, we brag to bailiffs of CIs we've never recruited, we request DAs to seek lower bails than would be usual on specific individuals in order to seed distrust.

                        There's a thousand ways to use such methods to spread hate and discontent.

                        You can race up in an armored vehicle and discharge a tactical team in the courtyard of a apartment complex which is a well-known drug market and charge up the stairs bellowing POLICE!!!. Then wander around a bit and leave, knowing that a huge amount of dope is now in the sewer system. And maybe next time you show up, this time with a warrant, the stash boss hesitates, thinking its another bluff run.
                        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I think the best example of deliberate mis information comes from WW1 when British experts produced a naval code for use by high ranking officers and Admiralty officials. This was in fact not for use but for leaking to German intelligence. A copy of the code book was included in the baggage of an official visiting the Netherlands who stayed in a hotel known to be frequented by German agents, went out for the night leaving his luggage in his room. This was opened and the code book photographed. Thereafter mis information could be sent to the Germans by transmitting it by wireless using this code. As the code was not used by any British units there was no danger of confusion. The whole operation was very carefully managed and used sparingly and enough genuine info sent to conceal the fact that it was a spoof exercise. Part way through the war this code was updated and British intelligence actually made some money by creating a traitor who sold a copy to German intelligence. So convincing was the exercise that there are still modern histories that will tell you that the Germans broke the top Admiralty code For details of this plant see -The Eyes of the Navy by Rear Admiral James 1955
                          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            "The FBI director also said the purchased tool worked only on a "narrow slice of phones" that does not include the newest Apple models, or the 5S."

                            Took this from CNN. Apparently this breakthrough isn't nearly as big as people thought it was.
                            First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Herman Hum View Post
                              That sounds like a Cold War strategy posed by a Tom Clancy novel. One side could not break a certain communications system of the other so they 'leaked' a claim that they broke the code, in hopes that the enemy would then change to another method that might be easier to circumvent.

                              I'm not sure what their intent is, but the FBI still need Apple to help with other phones they have in their possession. Why not use the same technique to break into any iPhone they want?

                              "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

                              "A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by III Corps View Post
                                I'm betting Apple is already reasonably certain how the hacker got in.
                                I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of their own.
                                My worst jump story:
                                My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                                As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                                No lie.

                                ~
                                "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                                -2 Commando Jumpmaster

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X