Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FBI cracks phone, Apple now asking for help

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • FBI cracks phone, Apple now asking for help

    link:
    http://www.policeone.com/mass-casual...estions-linger

    The Feds cracked the phone using a third-party solution, which it now intends to share with State and local agencies.

    Apple wants to know how it was done, but the Feds are not obligated to share the data, and considering what pissy little b*tches Apple was when the shoe was on the other foot...

    So instead of providing a one-time key to help fight terrorism, Apple postured and delayed, and now the new generation of Iphones are crack-able by police agencies (with a search warrant) and the solution came from outside the Feds, which means it will be available for a reasonable fee to corporate information brokers.

    Epic fail for Apple.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

  • #2
    Awesome, I'll get my faraday bags ready (so the suspect can't remote wipe the phone).......already got the search warrant template on file and ready to go.

    The guy who cracked the phone wasn't an idiot. He realized that giving Apple his info would set him up with a 1 time payout, maybe a job. Cracking the phone and then selling his solution to LE nationwide (maybe worldwide even) will net him millions......and a company of his own, unless he works out a really sweet deal with one of the existing companies.

    Apple can, in their own (paraphrased) words "Shove it up their Arse".
    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

    Comment


    • #3
      You understand they'll just come out with a new update with improved security features and render this useless correct? Then you'll only be able to access phones with the older version installed. The FBI wil need to keep that third party on the payroll to see if he can continue to hack each new version apple comes out with.
      First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

      Comment


      • #4
        From your article AJR.


        Jay Kaplan, a former NSA computer expert who's now CEO of cyber-security firm Synack, said it is likely Apple will pursue avenues to further lock down their operating systems and hardware, especially as a result of the public announcement of some new technique to crack their phones.
        First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
          Awesome, I'll get my faraday bags ready (so the suspect can't remote wipe the phone).......already got the search warrant template on file and ready to go.

          The guy who cracked the phone wasn't an idiot. He realized that giving Apple his info would set him up with a 1 time payout, maybe a job. Cracking the phone and then selling his solution to LE nationwide (maybe worldwide even) will net him millions......and a company of his own, unless he works out a really sweet deal with one of the existing companies.

          Apple can, in their own (paraphrased) words "Shove it up their Arse".
          Yup! We weren't expecting to get the cracking update on the new phones until June, but now it will be April.

          The turn-around time on new phones coming out and the updates to breach them is definitely getting shorter.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

          Comment


          • #6
            It will cost Apple a lot more to upgrade security if they have no clue how the hacker got in. A shotgun approach may also fail to cover the entrance. There are a lot of Apple Cell Phones out there using the same old system. It will take a while to upgrade them all.

            The guy who did it will earn some serious coin for his skills.

            Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

            Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

            by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
              It will cost Apple a lot more to upgrade security if they have no clue how the hacker got in. A shotgun approach may also fail to cover the entrance. There are a lot of Apple Cell Phones out there using the same old system. It will take a while to upgrade them all.

              The guy who did it will earn some serious coin for his skills.

              Pruitt
              Yeah, that's the beauty of the system. Most of the phones we encounter are older phones; we usually expect to see the latest phones reach our customer base 12-15 months after they come out, with a few exceptions. By then we've already purchased the update that allows us to access them.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                It will cost Apple a lot more to upgrade security if they have no clue how the hacker got in. A shotgun approach may also fail to cover the entrance. There are a lot of Apple Cell Phones out there using the same old system. It will take a while to upgrade them all.

                The guy who did it will earn some serious coin for his skills.

                Pruitt
                Apple devices get routine updates in their OS issued by Apple every few months. I just downloaded a new one last night. All it takes is for them to add security measures and release another update.
                First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

                Comment


                • #9
                  "Authorities had previously said only Apple had the ability to help them unlock the phone."

                  So I guess not, and I am also assuming they wont find anything of use in the phone.
                  Wisdom is personal

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Karri View Post
                    "Authorities had previously said only Apple had the ability to help them unlock the phone."

                    So I guess not, and I am also assuming they wont find anything of use in the phone.
                    Hard to say. An average phone draw will produce 7,000 pages of data.

                    It takes time to sift through it.
                    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                      ...It will cost Apple a lot more to upgrade security if they have no clue how the hacker got in...
                      I'm betting Apple is already reasonably certain how the hacker got in.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Apples only PR options now are a) to ignore it, go quiet, and let it fade away or b) make another confrontation by trying to claim that th FBI is now threatening the security of millions of Amercicans by hiding the vulnerability from them.

                        B would be the more foolish choice, but they may still pursue it regardless.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Why doesn't Apple just use their "geniuses" at their stores to solve the problem...?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                            Apples only PR options now are a) to ignore it, go quiet, and let it fade away or b) make another confrontation by trying to claim that th FBI is now threatening the security of millions of Amercicans by hiding the vulnerability from them.

                            B would be the more foolish choice, but they may still pursue it regardless.
                            I think rather they'll use it to market the newer phones to those who are paranoid about Uncle Sam listening to them...
                            Credo quia absurdum.


                            Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I think it would have been better to keep all the criminals and terrorists thinking that the phone cannot be hacked.
                              Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

                              Prayers.

                              BoRG

                              http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X