3 Republicans in race won't say they'll back nominee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Republicans in race won't say they'll back nominee

WASHINGTON (AP) Will they or won't they? Mostly, they won't.

The three Republican presidential candidates aren't committing to supporting whomever the party chooses as its standard-bearer in the fall campaign. That could make for a messy and fractured GOP nominating convention in July.

Early in the campaign Donald Trump, Ted Cruz and John Kasich indicated they would support the eventual nominee. The three were asked about that again Tuesday night in town hall appearances in Milwaukee hosted by CNN.

Trump said he was rescinding his promise because "I have been treated very unfairly." He listed the Republican National Committee, the Republican Party and party establishment among those he believes have wronged him. On ABC's "Good Morning America" on Wednesday, Trump said, "I only want the people to support me. ...I will take my chances with the people."
    AP - Full Article

Sounds like Trump has verbalized the feared threat that if he doesn't get the nomination, he's willing to run as an independent and take the GOP with him.

The others seem to be getting just as bitter. This will be an interesting convention if Trump doesn't get the required numbers.

Heck, I wouldn't either...
    ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
    IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
      Heck, I wouldn't either...
      Not supporting the frontline GOP candidates? You know that just makes you a Marxist, right?

Comment

More posturing to drive up the bills.

Only Trump and Cruz matter, and Cruz still has a career to protect. If he wants to draw on Party funds and resources ever again, he'll toe the line.

Trump looks likely to win, so that point is moot, but there are always ambassadorships and other appointed positions to dangle before him.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

...or Khazakhstan?

Hey Arnold J, ya think President Trump will offer Ted Cruz an ambassadorship to say...Canada or...Cuba?
          ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
          IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Hey Arnold J, ya think President Trump will offer Ted Cruz an ambassadorship to say...Canada or...Cuba?

Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
              Not supporting the frontline GOP candidates? You know that just makes you a Marxist, right?
              but being a Marxist isn't so bad. Since Trump one time supported democrats he is already a closet Marxist in the eyes of many.

If you can't get what you want, bring the walls of the temple down around you.

Comment

Spoiled little brats who won't play if they aren't allowed to win.

Comment

The current vacancy outstanding is in Syria...

Comment

AP - Full Article

Sounds like Trump has verbalized the feared threat that if he doesn't get the nomination, he's willing to run as an independent and take the GOP with him.

The others seem to be getting just as bitter. This will be an interesting convention if Trump doesn't get the required numbers.
                    I believe its too late for Trump to run a proper independent campaign. Can he get on the ballot in all the states other than being a write in? He or Cruz could certainly torpedo any slim chance the GOP has of winning and possibly break the party. Not sure what else it would achieve other than stopping someone else having a real chance.

If Trump falls just short the he will probably find the delegates. If he falls 10% or more short (120+ delegates) then it will be really interesting.
                    Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

It would be a mistake to ignore this guy a 3rd time

Comment

Originally posted by BF69 View Post
                        I believe its too late for Trump to run a proper independent campaign. Can he get on the ballot in all the states other than being a write in?
                        Effectively no. Here in Michigan the deadline for an independent candidate is 4 pm on July 21st. Coincidentally the GOP Convention is scheduled to end on the 21st, and as Trump would need to collect 30,000 signatures (which would all have to be verified by the Secretary of State), it would be physically impossible for him to get on the Michigan ballot as an independent. Different states have different schedules so he could, possibly, get on some, but nowhere enough to win enough electoral votes to win.

Write in candidate is another story, but at most all he could do is affect a very close race like Florida's in 2000. In that case the Green's killed Gore (and not the SCOTUS).

Tuebor

Comment

AP - Full Article

Wishfull-thinking

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X