Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open carry at the Republican National Convention?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Open carry at the Republican National Convention?

    Friend of mine told me that there is a petition to allow open gun carry at the next Republican National Covnention. Frankly, I am surprised that this isn't allowed yet, does anybody know why guns are banned from the RNC? And wouldn't it be about time to lift that ban?
    Reaction to the 2016 Munich shootings:
    Europe: "We are shocked and support you in these harsh times, we stand by you."
    USA: "We will check people from Germany extra-hard and it is your own damn fault for being so stupid."

  • #2
    There is/was a petition. The RNC has subsequently announced no weapons will be allowed during the convention in accordance with the policy of meeting location.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by III Corps View Post
      There is/was a petition. The RNC has subsequently announced no weapons will be allowed during the convention in accordance with the policy of meeting location.

      But why is such a policy in place? It sounds more like something the Democrats would come up with.
      Reaction to the 2016 Munich shootings:
      Europe: "We are shocked and support you in these harsh times, we stand by you."
      USA: "We will check people from Germany extra-hard and it is your own damn fault for being so stupid."

      Comment


      • #4
        This reminds me certain naturist conventions, where, according to the location, the naturists had to come dressed..
        That rug really tied the room together

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Acheron View Post
          ...But why is such a policy in place?...
          To protect the property owner from liability. Try Google for the story.

          http://thinkprogress.org/politics/20...nvention-guns/

          http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/30/us...bate.html?_r=0

          Comment


          • #6
            Not to mention that in the state of NC, Open Carry is forbidden at events where admission is charged, permitted concealed carry is allowed so long as it's not otherwise forbidden by the property owner. And that private property owners can post restrictions beyond state law.....heck as an LEO I can carry concealed statewide, but a private property owner can still ask me to leave (they can't make me disarm, but they can tell me I can't be armed THERE....now inside my jurisdiction they can royally F*** Off, but typically they don't even know I'm carrying in the first place)

            I believe that most of your big venues are posted 'gun free zones' by the property owners. It's likely an insurance thing, as there has not been a successful suit yet by crime victims against a property owner that the property owner disarmed the victims and then failed to provide adequate protection. Heck, PNC Arena in Raleigh doesn't even allow On Duty Raleigh PD officers in (an agreement with the city) armed unless they are actively performing official duties.

            The brouhaha about the Republican Party being hypocritical about firearms is rather stupid in this case IMHO......it's just Democrats trying to find a reason to make accusations.
            Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Acheron View Post
              But why is such a policy in place? It sounds more like something the Democrats would come up with.
              Because the conventions are mobbed, and there are always demonstrators.

              But the core reason, I expect, is that in order to hire off-duty police officers as security (scores of them), the City made the condition that open carry would not be allowed.

              My agency won't rent out officers at events unless glass containers are banned and coolers are searched at the entrance.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                Because the conventions are mobbed, and there are always demonstrators.

                But the core reason, I expect, is that in order to hire off-duty police officers as security (scores of them), the City made the condition that open carry would not be allowed.

                My agency won't rent out officers at events unless glass containers are banned and coolers are searched at the entrance.
                No glass bottles? That almost takes the sporting element out of it......fighting drunks with only broken beer CANS to fight with.
                Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                  No glass bottles? That almost takes the sporting element out of it......fighting drunks with only broken beer CANS to fight with.
                  Actually the City did it because of groups throwing them at each other.

                  We have some rough sweet 16s down here.
                  Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Another stunt cooked up by a Democrat.

                    C'mon guys, why waste time falling for junk stories like this?
                    "Why is the Rum gone?"

                    -Captain Jack

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      So there is a ban on gun carriage in place because the RNC cannot find in all of the United States a location were the owner and/or the local PD would admit it?
                      Reaction to the 2016 Munich shootings:
                      Europe: "We are shocked and support you in these harsh times, we stand by you."
                      USA: "We will check people from Germany extra-hard and it is your own damn fault for being so stupid."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                        Another stunt cooked up by a Democrat.

                        C'mon guys, why waste time falling for junk stories like this?
                        Because it reports on a subject close to American hearts.
                        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

                        Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

                        you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Plus, as a webpage so succinctly put it:
                          "Republicans Want Guns In Schools But Not At Their National Convention"
                          As always, if you lobby for a specific policy, but don't seem to apply it to yourself, people will call you out for it.
                          Reaction to the 2016 Munich shootings:
                          Europe: "We are shocked and support you in these harsh times, we stand by you."
                          USA: "We will check people from Germany extra-hard and it is your own damn fault for being so stupid."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Acheron View Post
                            Plus, as a webpage so succinctly put it:
                            "Republicans Want Guns In Schools But Not At Their National Convention"
                            As always, if you lobby for a specific policy, but don't seem to apply it to yourself, people will call you out for it.
                            Nonsense.

                            The local government is the real there will not be firearms, not the Party. Not to mention a fair amount of drinking occurs at the convention, and that is another good reason: you don't want guns and booze at any gathering. Its also State law.
                            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                              Nonsense.

                              The local government is the real there will not be firearms, not the Party. Not to mention a fair amount of drinking occurs at the convention, and that is another good reason: you don't want guns and booze at any gathering. Its also State law.
                              Agreed, there will be no guns except for security personnel, why we are even discussing this, it is a waste of time.
                              Last edited by Trung Si; 31 Mar 16, 21:59.
                              Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X