CA minimum wage set to $15 per hour.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisF1987 View Post
    That's just fast food workers. Even in that case I think it's also in stages; NYC by 2018, rest of the state by 2020 I think.

This whole thing is a nightmare in the making. There is a huge difference in cost of living between upstate (relatively moderate COL) and downstate (ultra high COL) and New York politics are dominated by NYC liberals and their high taxes imposed on everyone else to subsidize NYC. This is why there are varying competing statehood and autonomist movements in the rest of New York.

Hopefully NYC will reveal the extra pay will be more of a hardship than a windfall.
    Last edited by Persephone; 02 Apr 16, 13:36.
    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Well, the inflation rate HAS been flat for a couple of years now. Might as well kick start that again.

GG
      "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

"Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

Comment

I'm going to start agitating for a retired military pay raise - denied for many years in a row now - and a Social Security raise. After all, if a burger flipper gets $15 per hour as a "living wage, then I deserve at least that much.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Not a bad idea!

GG
          "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

Comment

This is a growing concern in NJ. Today, there was a meeting of a service station association on the impact this increase will have.

These are all small businesses. And it will impact in many ways. Apparently Workman's Comp insurance is tied to wages. If all of our parts drivers made $15hr, we would be forced to fire all the drivers, sell the trucks and use a delivery service. That would drastically alter the service we provide, and probably mark our end as well.

There's been a lot of talk in NJ about allowing self serve gas in NJ. This will help move that forward.
            Last edited by Gixxer86g; 06 Apr 16, 19:30.
            ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

With regard to gas stations...

I've already seen where some, like the ones owned by grocery store chains, have 24 hour service available but only have a cashier there during the day. After like 9 pm until like 7 am they are fully automatic and only take cards for dispensing fuel, no cash.
              I'd say that trend is likely to accelerate too. The convenience store / gas station combo giving way to one where the gas part is fully automated with no attendant and card operated only tied to a business like a grocery store or drug store with a wider product range that has a reason to remain open 24 hours a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                This is a growing concern in NJ. Today, there was a meeting of a service station association on the impact this increase will have.

These are all small businesses. And it will impact in many ways. Apparently Workman's Comp insurance is tied to wages. If all of our parts drivers made $15hr, we would be forced to fire all the drivers, sell the trucks and use a delivery service. That would drastically alter the service we provide, and probably mark our end as well.

There's been a lot of talk in NJ about allowing self serve gas in NJ. This will help move that forward.
                I wonder how many low level professionals would have to rethink their job. Alot of weeks I work an extra 15-20 hours/week beyond my contract, but quite a few weeks I year I work 20-30 hours/week beyond my contract. If you're putting in that many hours at no pay, it might make sense to move to an hourly skilled labor job.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                  With regard to gas stations...

I've already seen where some, like the ones owned by grocery store chains, have 24 hour service available but only have a cashier there during the day. After like 9 pm until like 7 am they are fully automatic and only take cards for dispensing fuel, no cash.
                  I'd say that trend is likely to accelerate too. The convenience store / gas station combo giving way to one where the gas part is fully automated with no attendant and card operated only tied to a business like a grocery store or drug store with a wider product range that has a reason to remain open 24 hours a day.
                  I was in Belgium last year and they are already doing this with gas stations. No attendants, just pay by card.
                  I noticed that the MacDonalds at DeGaulle airport had kiosks for ordering food rather than cashiers.
                  Forcing employers to pay entry level workers more than they are worth makes automation far more attractive.
                  Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
                    I wonder how many low level professionals would have to rethink their job. Alot of weeks I work an extra 15-20 hours/week beyond my contract, but quite a few weeks I year I work 20-30 hours/week beyond my contract. If you're putting in that many hours at no pay, it might make sense to move to an hourly skilled labor job.
                    Well, they shouldn't be forced to. An increase to 15 an hour will require similar increases up the scale.

Which will inflate the costs of everything, effectively negating the raise to 15 an hour. But it will look good on paper to lefty knuckleheads.
                    ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post
                      I was in Belgium last year and they are already doing this with gas stations. No attendants, just pay by card.
                      I noticed that the MacDonalds at DeGaulle airport had kiosks for ordering food rather than cashiers.
                      Forcing employers to pay entry level workers more than they are worth makes automation far more attractive.
                      There are few gas stations in Texas where the option of 'paying at the pump' is not offered. And many have no Human staff after hours.

A lot of stores are slowly expanding automated check-outs, which cuts personnel by 75%.

Unskilled labor is a dead-end and dying work level, but stunts like this will simply hasten the end.
                      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Interesting thing about automatic checkout is that it saves the store money, but those savings are not passed on to the consumers.

Slippery slope.

Comment

I think this is a misguided attempt to raise more taxes. If all the kids get $15 bucks a hour rather than oh, $10 the state gets more revenue. What these geniuses fail to understand is that this will shrink the workforce overall and increase the people on GA...
                          Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                            I think this is a misguided attempt to raise more taxes. If all the kids get $15 bucks a hour rather than oh, $10 the state gets more revenue. What these geniuses fail to understand is that this will shrink the workforce overall and increase the people on GA...
                            "Smart" is not a concept familiar to politicians, who can vote themselves hefty pay raises even when the economy is on the toilet.

Mountain Man say: "Nothing is too expensive if you're not paying for it."
                            MMBBQQ

Comment

By the by.... read on the internet just yesterday that those States that raised their minimum to $10 an hour have recorded loss of jobs (already).

Don't bother hitting on me about this, I just pass it along as sort of a reference..... anyone wanting to "fact find" on this one is going to have to do their own homework. Sorry! ()

GG

Comment

So you toss out a claim and then let us know in advance you aren't willing to support it. How is that advancing the conversation?
                                First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X