Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CA minimum wage set to $15 per hour.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
    I see no reason for them to leave their districts. Keep them there so when they draw the ire of their constituents we can yell at them. This is the age of the internet and they can gather online. Further benefit, transparency. They have to argue their point openly online.
    So no networking, no supervision of the apparatus of government...not a good idea.

    Not to mention that pesky Bill of Rights preventing you from binding them to one place. Or why anyone of competence would want to be treated in such a fashion.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

    Comment


    • #47
      Here in New York the state legislature has also approved raising the minimum wage to $15 in gradual steps until 2021. Very bad move, this will make our economy even worse than it already is. A better idea would be to eliminate the state income tax so that everyone has more disposable income, and it doesent hurt businesses.

      Personally I think we should eliminate the Federal minimum wage as well and leave it up to the states and territories to decide that on their own. What works in Iowa may not work in Florida ...

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
        McDs can't take less profits, or their shareholders will pull out their investments and the entire corporation will collapse like a house of cards.

        Too many people (not you, Steve) assume that these companies are monolithic institutions who will always be there no matter what.
        ^ this

        What many people don't grasp is that something like 90% of McDonald's locations are independently owned and operated franchises. They are basically small businesses. The McDonald's corporation itself is basically a little more than a glorified real estate firm.

        Here's another one: Quiznos ... the now basically dead sandwich chain. The state of the economy has reduced their store count from something like 5,000 to under 1,000. They only have ONE corporate owned and operated location; on the ground floor of their corporate headquarters in Denver. Quiznos is the prime example of how quickly a fast food chain can vanish. They likely won't be the last either. It's a shame as I am a big fan of their food

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
          Federal minimum wage is 7.25 which is a joke for a country with our supposed power and wealth.
          Not if unskilled. In NYC you can get people for free if you offer on the job training.
          My worst jump story:
          My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
          As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
          No lie.

          ~
          "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
          -2 Commando Jumpmaster

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by ChrisF1987 View Post
            ^ this

            What many people don't grasp is that something like 90% of McDonald's locations are independently owned and operated franchises. They are basically small businesses. The McDonald's corporation itself is basically a little more than a glorified real estate firm.

            Here's another one: Quiznos ... the now basically dead sandwich chain. The state of the economy has reduced their store count from something like 5,000 to under 1,000. They only have ONE corporate owned and operated location; on the ground floor of their corporate headquarters in Denver. Quiznos is the prime example of how quickly a fast food chain can vanish. They likely won't be the last either. It's a shame as I am a big fan of their food
            Good points. McDs also provides advertising and name brand recognition for its store owners.
            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by ChrisF1987 View Post
              Here in New York the state legislature has also approved raising the minimum wage to $15 in gradual steps until 2021.

              I thought New York has only 2 years to get the minimum wage to $15 statewide. Every other state have 6 years to comply.
              "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

              "A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

              Comment


              • #52
                It's an election year - must be seen catering to the will of the unwashed masses.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                  Not if unskilled. In NYC you can get people for free if you offer on the job training.

                  They are called interns. It's a big thing with foreign Irish students.
                  "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

                  "A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                    Sure. Lots of people would want to spend years building up a political career for the privilege of living in a dormitory.
                    It should be a "career" in politics. That is what is wrong. We should only have people that truly want to serve the public and not themselves and their financiers. Serve their term and get the hell out. No more establishment.

                    And going deep into debt paying air fare back to their districts in order to keep their seat and see their family...
                    They keep their seat if they do a good job. No one want to see their mugs. That is why we call or email our elected officials. They barely return calls or emails, let alone come knocking on your door.

                    Nope. They serve. Let's call it a deployment to Washington DC. If one is too squishy and wish to sob about not seeing family, then don't be become a DC politician just as people that don't want to be away from their family should not join the military.

                    That scandal of how much it cost the taxpayers to fly Nancy Pelosi and/or her extended family back and forth from San Francisco to DC every freaking week is something you want to keep repeating?

                    The salaries are not the problem. The fact is their bosses, the voters, are not paying attention.
                    Sure they are. There will always be the ones looking at every detail. All that is needed is a watch-group that keeps tabs on their votes and attendances.
                    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

                    Prayers.

                    BoRG

                    http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                      It should be a "career" in politics. That is what is wrong. We should only have people that truly want to serve the public and not themselves and their financiers. Serve their term and get the hell out. No more establishment.
                      How do you tell if someone truly wants to serve the public, anyway? Is there a test?

                      Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                      They keep their seat if they do a good job. No one want to see their mugs. That is why we call or email our elected officials. They barely return calls or emails, let alone come knocking on your door.
                      That ignores how politics actually works. Reps have an election every two years. They have to keep a presence in their district or they will lose their seat no matter how they are doing.

                      And their families might want to see them, and vice versa.

                      Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                      Nope. They serve. Let's call it a deployment to Washington DC. If one is too squishy and wish to sob about not seeing family, then don't be become a DC politician just as people that don't want to be away from their family should not join the military.
                      OK, so lousy pay, absence from their family, and only those with a true dedication to the public...where do you plan to find 535 saints, and how will you convince them that such service is worthwhile?

                      Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                      That scandal of how much it cost the taxpayers to fly Nancy Pelosi and/or her extended family back and forth from San Francisco to DC every freaking week is something you want to keep repeating?
                      Yes. Because the simple fact is that if you make a job poorly paid, emotionally unrewarding, and unnecessarily unpleasant, you will not secure and retain competent help.

                      You seem more inclined towards retaliation than improvement.

                      Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                      Sure they are. There will always be the ones looking at every detail. All that is needed is a watch-group that keeps tabs on their votes and attendances.
                      You mean like the Congressional Record or any one of several private subscription services which track each session's details? Not to mention both parties.

                      And no, the voters are not paying attention. Over 50% of Americans cannot name their Senator or Congressional Rep. Few Congressional elections that fall outside a general election secure more than 30% of the registered voters turning out. And don't get me started on the gap between eligible and registered.

                      Besides being illegal, your suggestions are extremely impractical.
                      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        I still say keep them in their home district. With the internet there's no reason that they should leave. Hell they can network on c span. I like the idea that they don't go on junkets and act like royalty.

                        Also I'd like to tie in their spouses on corruption. B Boxer's hubby made way to much money on the the housing bubble. With federal grants mind you...
                        Credo quia absurdum.


                        Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Salinator
                          Yes. Getting shitty pay and living in a dorm is humility. Works for monks and priests when done right, so shall it be for politics. If one wish to serve in Congress for any other reason, he is not needed.
                          I don't see it. There's no reward involved. Monks and priests follow a higher calling; politicians do not. A sense of public service would not extend to those conditions, and never have in our history.

                          Originally posted by Salinator
                          Bullshit. People follow success. By your reasoning, no King or Emperor would have never left their capitol and nothing would have been conquered.
                          [

                          Kings didn't need to be re-elected every two years.

                          And what success is there in a guy with lousy pay and a dorm room? Who doesn't even get to see his family?

                          Originally posted by Salinator
                          Why not? You don't vote, you don't get paid. You vote opposite of what you promised, you get no pay while we work on recalling you.
                          Again, why would anyone take a job that unrewarding? lousy pay, worse living conditions, and a constant threat of termination. With no material or emotional payoff, what competent person would bother?

                          Originally posted by Salinator
                          Yes they are. Why else would we be discussing this if none among us is paying attention?
                          If voters are paying attention then the inefficient Congressmen would promptly be voted out. So if the voters really are paying attention, they must be terribly satisfied with their reps.

                          Except that Congress' approval rate stays in the 30% percentile. The numbers don't match up.

                          Originally posted by Salinator
                          Where did I say it was legal? This is a discussion. What was illegal yesterday may not be so tomorrow.
                          Only if the USA ceases to be. What you are suggesting violates fundamental freedoms just for a start. Lousy pay would be legal, but restriction to a specific form of housing? Not legally possible. Restriction of travel? Again, not in America.

                          Originally posted by Salinator
                          I say it is not. Your opinion has been noted.
                          Well, here's a fact: Congress sets its own pay scale. By law.

                          So unless you have a plan to convince the existing group to cut their own throats, your plan just ran into a wall. Nor can an ExOrd do it.

                          That's not an opinion.
                          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                            I still say keep them in their home district. With the internet there's no reason that they should leave. Hell they can network on c span. I like the idea that they don't go on junkets and act like royalty.

                            Also I'd like to tie in their spouses on corruption. B Boxer's hubby made way to much money on the the housing bubble. With federal grants mind you...
                            Well, again, there is that pesky Bill of Rights getting in your way.

                            The Net conference thing may become real as terrorism continues to escalate. Safer to disperse key leaders. Of course, without physical meetings it will become nigh impossible to maintain the sort of minutes and rolls as are kept now. That adds a huge amount of room for hanky-panky.

                            Going on fact-finding missions will never change.
                            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              California is already in financial trouble, and they pull this stunt. Kinda makes me wish the BIG ONE would hit, and make Cali an island
                              Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years...

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Persephone View Post
                                I thought New York has only 2 years to get the minimum wage to $15 statewide. Every other state have 6 years to comply.
                                That's just fast food workers. Even in that case I think it's also in stages; NYC by 2018, rest of the state by 2020 I think.

                                This whole thing is a nightmare in the making. There is a huge difference in cost of living between upstate (relatively moderate COL) and downstate (ultra high COL) and New York politics are dominated by NYC liberals and their high taxes imposed on everyone else to subsidize NYC. This is why there are varying competing statehood and autonomist movements in the rest of New York.

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X