CA minimum wage set to $15 per hour.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
    McDs can't take less profits, or their shareholders will pull out their investments and the entire corporation will collapse like a house of cards.

Too many people (not you, Steve) assume that these companies are monolithic institutions who will always be there no matter what.
    Actually, I assume that businesses come and go, and that the economy, like a vacuum, fills the gaps. That is how it always has worked, and how it will continue to work.

People will always want fast food, and if it isn't Micky D's it will someone else's, just like always.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      And that would be because the Feds mandate the minimum wage but are never the ones who have to pay it.

This will go very poorly for California.
      Do note, Congress is exempt from minimum wage laws....

Comment

McDs can't take less profits, or their shareholders will pull out their investments and the entire corporation will collapse like a house of cards.

Too many people (not you, Steve) assume that these companies are monolithic institutions who will always be there no matter what.
        Maybe they're big enough for a bailout.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve573 View Post
          Exactly: as I mentioned before places like McD's won't take less profit they'll find a way to keep their profit margins the same by either cutting work force or raising prices (or both). Automation will just mean more people unemployed.
          Not sure if it's good that the liberal government of CA just crammed this down the people's throat either. I think they did this now to remove the issue from the future ballot, knowing that it could lose if people voted on it and they wouldn't be able to keep the entitlements coming to their party members.
          There are a lot of people sounding like Luddites in terms of automation. If machines can cook Big Macs quicker, better, more efficiently, and cheaper then why worry about it.

One only need look at Mexico to see what the consequences of low wages and class have on a society. I again refer to Charles Murray's Coming Apart: The State of White America,

The problem of an IQ divide and growing class divide is not something in the future it is already here and we cannot bury it under low minimum wages.
          We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
            Do note, Congress is exempt from minimum wage laws....
            I'm still a big proponent of all congressmen and higher elected officials having their wages locked to the median American income.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
              I'm still a big proponent of all congressmen and higher elected officials having their wages locked to the median American income.
              They should be paid by their districts as outside contractors. You get paid in chunks for portions of the job completed. Don't vote or fight for what was promised and there will be no check in the mail.
              Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                AMEN.

If our economy tanks so do they.
                Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                  They should be paid by their districts as outside contractors. You get paid in chunks for portions of the job completed. Don't vote or fight for what was promised and there will be no check in the mail.
                  Then all you get as Congressmen are the independently wealthy.

Not to mention, have you see the voter turn-outs in district elections? Nobody is minding the store.
                  Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

[QUOTE=Arnold J Rimmer;3197848]Then all you get as Congressmen are the independently wealthy./QUOTE]

Isn't that the case already?
                    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                      Isn't that the case already?
                      Some, not all. But the option still remains that a man of ordinary means can be, and has, elected to Congress.

Institute those rules, and you that possibility ends.

The people are supposed to be in charge. So long as voters do not bother to vote, any else if just rearranging chairs on the Titanic.
                      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve573 View Post
                        Exactly: as I mentioned before places like McD's won't take less profit they'll find a way to keep their profit margins the same by either cutting work force or raising prices (or both)...
                        Yum...Yum...

$12.95

....ooooooohhhhhh
                        {}

"Any story sounds true until someone tells the other side and sets the record straight." -Proverbs 18:17

Comment

Or we could use more draconian measures.

Maybe take a finger every time they do something that harms the economy? Then we'd only get people applying for the job that REALLY want to do it.

Comment

And while they are serving, they must live in a Congressional dormitory and subsist entirely on their outside contractor wages.

I see no reason how this would have any effect on someone with ordinary means. It would actually discourage fat cats such as Pelosi and Feinstein that don't even actually give a hoot about the Joe Plumbers from running.

Not to mention, have you see the voter turn-outs in district elections? Nobody is minding the store.
                            So what does that have to do with how the elected are paid?
                            Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

And while they are serving, they must live in a Congressional dormitory and subsist entirely on their outside contractor wages.

I see no reason how this would have any effect on someone with ordinary means. It would actually discourage fat cats such as Pelosi and Feinstein that don't even actually give a hoot about the Joe Plumbers from running.
                              Sure. Lots of people would want to spend years building up a political career for the privilege of living in a dormitory. And going deep into debt paying air fare back to their districts in order to keep their seat and see their family...

So what does that have to do with how the elected are paid?
                              The salaries are not the problem. The fact is their bosses, the voters, are not paying attention.

Comment

I see no reason for them to leave their districts. Keep them there so when they draw the ire of their constituents we can yell at them. This is the age of the internet and they can gather online. Further benefit, transparency. They have to argue their point openly online.
                                Credo quia absurdum.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X