Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CA minimum wage set to $15 per hour.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    It will be interesting to observe this social experiment in California....from a distance.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

    Comment


    • #17
      I always thought that you have bigger minimal wage.


      Xperia Z5 via Tapatalk
      Fortess fortuan adiuvat

      Comment


      • #18
        Federal minimum wage is 7.25 which is a joke for a country with our supposed power and wealth.
        First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post


          The world's best for some guys.
          Like the french ones are the world's best for some others.
          Y'all have some OK wines in the Bordeaux region...
          Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
            Federal minimum wage is 7.25 which is a joke for a country with our supposed power and wealth.
            Increases to the minimum wage simply make it more difficult for unskilled workers to obtain employment...
            Economists have written scores of papers on the topic dating back 100 years, and the vast majority of these studies point to job losses for the least-skilled. They are based on fundamental economic reasoning—that when you raise the price of something, in this case labor, less of it will be demanded, or in this case hired.

            Among the many studies supporting this conclusion is one completed earlier this year by Texas A&M’s Jonathan Meer and MIT’s Jeremy West, which reaffirmed that “the minimum wage reduces job growth over a period of several years” and that “industries that tend to have a higher concentration of low-wage jobs show more deleterious effects on job growth from higher minimum wages.”

            The broader research confirms this. An extensive survey of decades of minimum-wage research, published by William Wascher of the Federal Reserve Board and me in a 2008 book titled “Minimum Wages,” generally found a 1% or 2% reduction for teenage or very low-skill employment for each 10% minimum-wage increase.

            http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-evid...obs-1450220824
            Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

            Comment


            • #21
              I see some potential problems with this:
              Larger corporations which can afford to relocate to other states will move, taking jobs out of California. Those that can still make a profit will do so by raising their prices to cover the additional labor costs.

              Small businesses will move or close, or will lay off some workers to try to compensate, forcing the remaining workers to pick up the slack. They'll also most likely raise prices to cover the additional labor costs.

              People who don't live in California will move there seeking one of the now fewer minimum wage jobs. I predict the number of unemployed will go up not only because of layoffs and closed businesses but because of increased numbers of people looking for these jobs.

              Prices for all goods or services that involve workers who currently make less than $15 per hour will go up. There's no way that won't happen. Look at what grocery stores do when gas prices go up: the price to fill up a truck goes up $1.00 per gallon, raising the cost to transport a can of soup or loaf of bread by a fraction of a cent per unit, so the grocery store raises the price of that item by 10 or 15 cents to cover the extra fraction of a cent it costs. If you raise labor costs throughout the store the price of every item in that store will go up considerably.

              One thing no one seems to remember is that increasing minimum wage to $15 per hour doesn't just affect those who make minimum wage, it affects all those who make less than $15 per hour...meaning a whole lot of people who will now either move up in salary or lose their jobs. Those who currently make $15 per hour will not move up a corresponding amount...if you believe so you're dreaming. They will simply be minimum wage again after years of elevating themselves above that amount of pay. Their buying power, due to increased costs across the board, will be lower so those that are currently making over $15 will see a net loss I predict. If they manage to keep their job.

              The other thing no one seems to remember, especially the dumbocrats, is that minimum wage is not intended to be a living wage for the average worker. It's supposed to be a starting point, for people in high school or just out, so they have at least enough money to buy a car and pay for gas etc. It's not intended to be enough to buy a house. I've been in the workforce for years and started out at a minimum wage of about $3.50. I had no intention of staying there but worked hard and elevated myself to better jobs that paid more over the years. It took years for me to go from $3.50 to $15.00 per hour. No one handed it to me. This is just another move by liberals to perpetuate the current culture among younger people that they are entitled to everything. They are not to earn anything on their own, it's too hard...they need to be handed a living wage while they're still in high school.

              If this stays local, California will be in a lot of trouble due to less available jobs, higher unemployment and higher cost of living. There's no way to avoid that in my opinion: no one could be dumb enough to think that McDonald's will just take less profit--they'll increase prices to cover any increased labor costs. This isn't fantasy land, they will not take less profit. If it goes nationwide we'll all be in the same boat...just that jobs won't be moved to other states they'll be exported to Mexico or other overseas places where labor is cheap.

              To me this is sort of like the argument dumb people make about solving a budget crisis: "just print more money government, you own the printing presses after all." It's about as logical, because in the end prices will adjust to pay for increased labor costs so minimum wage will still not be enough to raise a family. It's socialism and something that Bernie Sanders supports, which is a good reason in my opinion to be against it.

              Comment


              • #22
                Maybe the real myth is that only minimum wage jobs are available. Especially with the 'legalization' of marijuana in Colorado, CDL drivers are in high demand and it can pay well. When I lived in Vail, I drove buses with an immigrant who spoke sketchy English, but who worked very, very hard. He got a full-time job, benefits, and vacation. Shoveling snow was hard work, and paid above minimum wage.

                I would think other states would have a similar demand for certain careers with relatively easy entry level requirements, but the potential for a good career and comfortable living. Supplementary jobs are always available that also pay well. It wasn't a full-time gig, but $12/hour to shovel snow on my days off around Christmas made for a more jolly holiday. I didn't cry for more money. I entered into the best agreement I could find with employers to do the work they wanted.

                I've already cut back on certain services since Colorado's last minimum wage hike. Not to punish anyone, but because I didn't get pay raises and had to cut some things out of my life. Truth be told, I still need to make some cuts. As much as I love it, the morning stop at the burrito shack was one of the first to go.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
                  Federal minimum wage is 7.25 which is a joke for a country with our supposed power and wealth.
                  You got that backwards. The minimum wage is $7.25 and the federal government is a joke for a country of our supposed power and wealth.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Yes, this is just the thing California needs to pull it's economy out of a slump: making its workers less competitive.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      The new California McDonalds fast food restaurant.

                      1. Order your food from a touch computer screen.
                      2. pay for your order with a credit, debit card, or via an app on your smart phone.
                      3. Pick up your order from a self serve box by entering your conformation number.

                      As the entire process will be automated by robotics, from preparing the pre packaged items to delivering it to the customer, no humans will be needed to touch any food items during the process. No actual money has to be handled, no product has to be prepared by a human. A machine will cook, assemble, and wrap the burger and other prepared products. Robots will handle cleaning during and after hours. They will also handle loading product into the cookers. Only a manager needs to be on site to sign receipt of delivery. Soon, with self driving delivery trucks, even that process of unloading and returning will become automated. Computers will control all of this through tracking codes for sales, expiration dates of perishables, and reordering from McDonald's central distribution hubs.

                      Won't happen? Don't bet on it. Once the cost of labor exceeds the cost of automation, the jobs will vanish as the machines replace the workers.
                      http://www.thestar.com/business/2012...fast_food.html
                      http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/22/tech...bot/index.html
                      “Breaking News,”

                      “Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Skynet coming.

                        Xperia Z5 via Tapatalk
                        Fortess fortuan adiuvat

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
                          The new California McDonalds fast food restaurant.

                          1. Order your food from a touch computer screen.
                          2. pay for your order with a credit, debit card, or via an app on your smart phone.
                          3. Pick up your order from a self serve box by entering your conformation number.

                          As the entire process will be automated by robotics, from preparing the pre packaged items to delivering it to the customer, no humans will be needed to touch any food items during the process. No actual money has to be handled, no product has to be prepared by a human. A machine will cook, assemble, and wrap the burger and other prepared products. Robots will handle cleaning during and after hours. They will also handle loading product into the cookers. Only a manager needs to be on site to sign receipt of delivery. Soon, with self driving delivery trucks, even that process of unloading and returning will become automated. Computers will control all of this through tracking codes for sales, expiration dates of perishables, and reordering from McDonald's central distribution hubs.

                          Won't happen? Don't bet on it. Once the cost of labor exceeds the cost of automation, the jobs will vanish as the machines replace the workers.
                          http://www.thestar.com/business/2012...fast_food.html
                          http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/22/tech...bot/index.html
                          Exactly: as I mentioned before places like McD's won't take less profit they'll find a way to keep their profit margins the same by either cutting work force or raising prices (or both). Automation will just mean more people unemployed.
                          Not sure if it's good that the liberal government of CA just crammed this down the people's throat either. I think they did this now to remove the issue from the future ballot, knowing that it could lose if people voted on it and they wouldn't be able to keep the entitlements coming to their party members.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Don't forget the costs to the employer, with health care, taxes, social security, ect puts the real cost @ around $30/ per hour. Now who wants to pay that much for a inexperienced tween???

                            Then the farmers are going to take the biggest hit because of this. I guess they'll have to automate their gig which means the only ones who can afford the buy in are the mega corps.

                            The true losers are going to be the poorest of the laborers, who's going to pay that kind of cash for some guy to pull weeds?
                            Credo quia absurdum.


                            Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Steve573 View Post
                              Exactly: as I mentioned before places like McD's won't take less profit they'll find a way to keep their profit margins the same by either cutting work force or raising prices (or both). Automation will just mean more people unemployed.
                              Not sure if it's good that the liberal government of CA just crammed this down the people's throat either. I think they did this now to remove the issue from the future ballot, knowing that it could lose if people voted on it and they wouldn't be able to keep the entitlements coming to their party members.
                              McDs can't take less profits, or their shareholders will pull out their investments and the entire corporation will collapse like a house of cards.

                              Too many people (not you, Steve) assume that these companies are monolithic institutions who will always be there no matter what.
                              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                                You got that backwards. The minimum wage is $7.25 and the federal government is a joke for a country of our supposed power and wealth.
                                And that would be because the Feds mandate the minimum wage but are never the ones who have to pay it.

                                This will go very poorly for California.
                                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X