Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Man Can Save Us From Trump—and Clinton

An interesting read:

He neuters both party frontrunners’ perceived strengths. Trump’s faux-tough guy act would crumble when met with an actual warrior, and Hillary Clinton’s foreign policy chops would seem like an 100-level International Relations course next to Mattis’s experience and expertise.

Mattis is vehemently apolitical and would likely be repulsed by the mere suggestion that he run. But so was another former general turned president, Dwight Eisenhower.

Eisenhower, history buffs will recall, was a late draft in the 1952 election. He was initially mortified by his name being mixed up in politics. After thousands showed up to a “Draft Eisenhower” rally in New York City, Ike reportedly wrote a friend saying, “I’ve never been so upset in years.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...DB&via=FB_Page
    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Only way to get him on the ballot would be as a convention substitute for Trump and Cruz or as a the Libertarian Party Candidate. The article mentions him as a independent type candidate.

Too late for that as key dates for getting on the ballet as an independent are too close for some big states and it takes to much time and money to accomplish that. Which is exactly the way the Dems and GOP have rigged the game at the state level.

The Libertarian Parties nominating convention is in Late may so that is probably not going to happen either.

When Bloomberg was floating his name as a possible independent he commissioned a detailed study on how much time, effort and money it would take. The process would have had to start over a month ago to have even any chance. Plus it would cost millions.

Another question is this:

The candidate would have to be conservative, enough so that non-Trump conservatives —keep in mind this is a strong majority of traditional Republican voters—have reason to show up and pull a lever for him and the party’s Senate candidates.
    How does the author know that he is a conservative that would fit that description?
    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
    “To talk of many things:
    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
    Of cabbages—and kings—
    And why the sea is boiling hot—
    And whether pigs have wings.”
    ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Just looking at it from an interesting read perspective.

The guys understand of how President Eisenhower got the nomination is also off.
      "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
        Only way to get him on the ballot would be as a convention substitute for Trump and Cruz or as a the Libertarian Party Candidate. The article mentions him as a independent type candidate.
        Gary Johnson will most likely take the Libertarian nomination again.
        http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...s-race-agains/

He'll have my vote again this election.
        If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Mattis seems as much an unknown quantity as Trump. I will need someone who knows him in detail to explain what he would do if elected?
          We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by Freightshaker View Post

Yup, same here.
            “To talk of many things:
            Of cabbages—and kings—
            ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

The only candidate whose tough guy credentials can't be questioned,

One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions - Admiral Grace Hopper

"The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity."
              Wu Cheng'en Monkey

Comment

Originally posted by Chukka View Post
                The only candidate whose tough guy credentials can't be questioned,
                Oh, an Environmentalist Candidate, eh?

EnrviroMental-cases, IMHO.

Comment

I would vote for him in a NY minute over what we have running now...
                  Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years...

Comment

Originally posted by drivin-fool View Post
                    I would vote for him in a NY minute over what we have running now...
                    The question is why do men like Gen Mattis NOT run?? Lots to think about with that question.
                    “To talk of many things:
                    Of cabbages—and kings—
                    ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Freightshaker View Post

He'll most likely get my vote this year. I've accepted the reality that none of the parties actually represent the ideals most important to me, unless you mix 'em all up like a salad.

Comment

I'm waiting for the naysayers to jump on you guys and gals for saying you won't vote for either a Democrat or a Republican, and that you'll be wasting your vote.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                          I'm waiting for the naysayers to jump on you guys and gals for saying you won't vote for either a Democrat or a Republican, and that you'll be wasting your vote.

You just said it.
                          My worst jump story:
                          My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                          As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                          No lie.

~
                          "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                          -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post

It's the same every election. Voting "against" someone or voting "for the winner" is part, a large part, of the problem.

I vote for who I feel is the best candidate. Isn't that the whole point?
                            If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

I'd rather vote for Mad Dog than any of the front runners right now.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X