Why we really don't need lawyers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
    And you're going to tell me no innocents have ever been executed or come close?
    No. I'm positive some have. And, there have been far more people killed, seriously injured, or hurt at the hands of some vicious criminal in prison who was kept alive rather than executed because of many people's aversion to a death penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
      Doing someone's paperwork wrong isn't going to get them dead. Lawyering doesn't require anymore than being good at filling out forms for the most part unless you're a trial lawyer. Then acting skills are an asset. After all, lawyering, unlike medicine, is nothing more than a simple liberal arts degree like one in political science (oxymoron there...), or art history...

Doing someone's paperwork wrong might not kill them, but it could result in the loss of everything they own. That is still a pretty big deal.
      Going to law school does not make one a lawyer. It is probably the least useful part of the process.

In any event, being a lawyer requires knowledge of the law, not just the ability to fill out forms.
      For instance, a major contract will usually require the drafting of an agreement that is specific to the transaction. If the person drafting the contract doesn't know the law, then his client is going to going to suffer.
      Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Comment

Of course they said that. If they said she was defrauding her satisfied customers who got, apparently, good service then they'd be damning the whole industry as a bunch of frauds charging $100+ an hour to do some paperwork.

Lawyers are no different from building contractors. Both provide a service to their customers. The only thing their license does is give customers recourse for crap workmanship. Even then, a customer's recourse is often limited by their own resources and the lawyer's / contractor's willingness to remain in business.
          Most lawyers don't even do paperwork. They hand over those tasks to their staff. Yet, that paperwork can be enormous which is why their fees can be so outrageous.

An example of paperwork is what an elder care attorney has to file for a client to protect their estates from Medicare can amount to a stack of papers several inches high. Simple wills, several documents amounting to 30 to 50+ sheets of paper. The only savings is that they are now mostly generic forms on a word processor that are customized to a client's need.

I know. The niece and I has to work on my uncle and aunt's estate when he became nursing home bound. The paperwork kept a staff member, who's expertise is in estate planning, continuously tied up for over two months. I took in a stack of papers for the uncle that was two inches thick of past tax forms, bank statements, income, expenses. The aunt's stuff was far worse. Her assets became scattered all over the country in numerous consolidated dormant accounts where the institutions had to be threatened by the lawyer before they would cooperate with her power of attorney. The final insult was when the State changed the laws, failed to notify the attorney, and sat on the claim for over two months. Claim was denied. The lawyer was pissed. All 600+ of her previous submissions had been approved. The uncle died just before the claim was denied so thankfully, only a small amount of the estate was lost to the nursing home. The stack of papers submitted, ten inches thick, sent hard copy by certified mail to the state Medicaid office.

As far as the building contractor, many of them subcontract work out to other companies or individuals to cut cost. Problems arise from a failure to check the work done, cutting corners, or from building inspectors that require a certification stamp printed, not on a sticker, on a heating duct, then force the contractor or home owner to replace all the duct work, or where 1/2 in copper line had to be ripped out and replaced with required 3/4 inch copper water lines to bathroom fixtures when the fixtures themselves are all flow restricted to two gallons a minute by Federal Law. (That was from an addition to a neighbor's house where a bathroom and bedroom were added onto the back.)

Such examples is what is driving cost through the roof for anything in today's economy.
          “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

I love Lionel Hutz.
            Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X