If you are crazy enough, you will get away with multiple crimes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you are crazy enough, you will get away with multiple crimes

Of all the things Maritza Dowe has endured over the past decade, this is the hardest. She has never seen her grandson Beau's big brown eyes. Nor has she seen the faces of two other grandchildren.
    "I can't see them," she said. "It breaks my heart."
    In July of 2006, Marilyn Walker entered a Belltown medical clinic armed with a butcher knife. She randomly attacked Dowe, stabbing her 22 times and blinding her. Dowe had to be revived by paramedics, twice.
    "It affects my whole life, my whole family," she said. "It affects my soul."
    Walker was found not guilty by reason of insanity and sent to Western State Hospital indefinitely. For the second time in four years, she is up for release. That possibility sends chills down Dowe's spine because this isn't the first time Walker has had a violent episode. She has a history of arson and assault. Walker has been hospitalized at least four times for psychiatric issues, including schizophrenia. She was locked up at Western State previously and attacked Dowe three years after her release.
    If set free, Dowe is convinced it's only a matter of time before Walker
    http://www.ktvb.com/news/local/viole...-free/94695097
    Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
    Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

The whole system is broken, including law enforcement and justice, but most of the so-called "mental health" industry.

I have always argued that the verdict should be "Guilty - but insane". Never should it be "not guilty by reason of", because that implies that the perp didn't commit the heinous crime, and if they are that crazy, then I espouse the death penalty to protect society, which is the function and purpose of the system, not to protect the killer.

If it were up to me, any shrink that released a killer by claiming they were cured would take full responsibility for any further acts of violence, sacrificing their own lives if need be. I certain that would change many diagnoses that go unchallenged now, especially those that depend upon voluntary self-medication by the criminal.

I saw enough of this BS when I work for Dept of Corrections.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Agreed MM,

And Guilty-but Insane wouldn't mean that they're released the moment they're cured. It would be a sentence of psychiatric treatment, rather than a committment until a doctor clears them. Guilty of Murder-but insane would still be 25 to life, just acknowledging that mental treatment is necessary, and placing a parole clause upon mental status change to sane.......they wouldn't be release to society free and clear, but rather some control would be maintained to ensure that they did not continue to offend.
      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

The mass closing of american mental instustion due to many of them haveing poor human rights records was probaly the worst and biggest knee jerk reaction in America's criminal and mental health sytem.
        you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Originally posted by andrewza View Post
          The mass closing of american mental instustion due to many of them haveing poor human rights records was probaly the worst and biggest knee jerk reaction in America's criminal and mental health sytem.
          Yes, it was. It would have been better to have fixed the system rather than eliminated it altogether.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Yes, it was. It would have been better to have fixed the system rather than eliminated it altogether.
            The problem was not even eliminated. It was just moved to the famlies who moved it to the streets.
            you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

The problem was not even eliminated. It was just moved to the famlies who moved it to the streets.
              Very true.

Although given the case law involved, it would have been very difficult to have fixed it. Once they established that a person cannot be confined for extended periods on mental health grounds without access to HC, there's not much that could be done.

The trouble is that the definition of mental illness is too vague, and the courts are very poorly equipped to deal with MH cases.

And even if you do get a truly insane person committed, they won't stay in long. There are far too few beds for the population.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

No kidding, this woman should never see freedom.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35838340

Boy, mental cases like this should be put away till they run out their clock...

Or shot or hung if your a capitol punishment advocate.
                Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

If you are rich enough, you will get away with multiple crimes
                  Just ask Hillary.

There, fixed it for you!
                  "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Amen! Instead of addressing the abuses of the mental Heath care system we did away with the system, We just created a larger problem.
                    Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.

Comment

From what I have read, and I have recent cause to research the subject, the people must at risk from the mentally ill are their close family and associates.

E.g the husband who beheaded his wife after watching X factor or that Russian nanny who beheaded the little girl she was supposed to be looking after.
                      http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/17/husban...ncers-5758186/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...on-Moscow.html

As an aside the latter story was suppressed in Russia as bad things don't happen there...
                      "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

All of you are ignoring the entire reasoning of the innocent by insanity defense. If they were sick and not in control of their actions due to no fault of their own, why would you seek punishment after you've fixed the problem? It's a moral dilemma.
                        First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

Too many are incapable of staying straight and sane. Many like being insane. If they won't take their meds, why should the "normal" people suffer?

My little sister died at 49. She was not the same person that was raised with me. TOO MUCH DRUGS! She had two small kids in her home at one time and she would lock them out of the house so she could hide in a bedroom and eat Oreos.

She killed off a lot of brain cells and refused to stay sober. Not long after giving birth to her last child, she attacked my Mother with a hammer. She then tied Mom to a toilet seat so she could get away. My poor Mother got loose and walked over a mile tied up to my house. Poor Mom was so messed up I would not open the door until she said who it was. They finally caught Sis two weeks later. At her trial she plea bargained and was sentenced to over a year in jail. Strangely enough, that was for writing bad checks.

Moral of the story? You can beat your Momma on the head with a hammer in Calcasieu Parish but don't you dare write no bad checks!

Several years after she got out she tried to walk home on Interstate 10 at oh dark thirty. Some guy from Katy, Texas hit and her leg and the muscle on the other leg flew 100 feet! She ended up with no legs. They did not find her leg until daylight.

I think she might still be around if the state would have mandated her take weekly or monthly drug screens. It was a terrible waste..

Pruitt
                          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Leave the task of helping them to doctors. They're far better at it than any politician could ever be.

What I'm talking about is the morality of punishing someone who is not in control of their actions. If it can be proved they had no control over their actions what is punishing them for?
                            First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

I don't care if a killer is insane, if you can't cure them lock them forever or dust them.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...ry-mob-7643926

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X