Experts see little chance of charges in Clinton email case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experts see little chance of charges in Clinton email case

WASHINGTON (AP) Asked earlier this month whether she'd be indicted over her use of a private email server as secretary of state, Hillary Clinton responded: "It's not going to happen."

Though Republicans characterized her response as hubris, several legal experts interviewed by the Associated Press agreed with the front-runner for the Democratic presidential nomination.

The relatively few laws that govern the handling of classified materials were generally written to cover spies, leakers and those who illegally retain such information, such as at home. Though the view is not unanimous, several lawyers who specialize in this area said it's a stretch to apply existing statutes to a former cabinet secretary whose communication of sensitive materials was with aides not a national enemy.

During her tenure as the nation's top diplomat between 2009 and 2013, Clinton's work emails were routed through a private computer server located in the basement of her New York home. The State Department now concedes that a small percentage of those messages contained sensitive national security information, including some later determined to be top secret.
    AP - Full Article

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
    Reality is funny

Comment

As an outsider and one much less pro Clinton than anti the opposing shower but with some experience of the wainscoting of the (British) corridors of power I have to ask - did you really expect anything else?
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
        As an outsider and one much less pro Clinton than anti the opposing shower but with some experience of the wainscoting of the (British) corridors of power I have to ask - did you really expect anything else?
        I didn't!
        Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

It doesn't sound like experts see a little chance......

But Ronald Sievert, a former federal prosecutor and University of Texas adjunct law professor, said an argument could be made that Clinton's creation of a private email server amounted to gross negligence.

Each prosecution of classified information cases has turned on different facts, making it hard to reliably predict outcomes, and the disparate punishments have frustrated efforts to draw meaningful parallels.

Petraeus got probation for knowingly mishandling classified information while a former State Department employee, Stephen Kim, was sentenced to more than two years in prison for disclosing classified materials to a reporter. Kim's lawyer, Abbe Lowell, urged for Kim's release in light of what he said was a "profound double standard."

The Clinton case indicates a "dysfunctional" system of overclassification, Lowell told AP.

"One of the perpetual problems with the investigation or prosecution of so-called leaks cases about classified information is that the law doesn't recognize as a defense that the material should not have been classified in the first place," he said.
          "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X