Trump questions need for NATO, outlines non-interventionist foreign policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump questions need for NATO, outlines non-interventionist foreign policy

Now that he has made his position clearer, I wonder how this will affect the election?

Trump questions need for NATO, outlines noninterventionist foreign policy

Donald Trump outlined an unabashedly noninterventionist approach to world affairs Monday, telling The Washington Post's editorial board that he questions the need for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, which has formed the backbone of Western security policies since the Cold War.

The meeting at The Post covered a range of issues, including media libel laws, violence at his rallies, climate change, NATO and the U.S. presence in Asia.

Speaking ahead of a major address on foreign policy later Monday in front of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, Trump said he advocates a light footprint in the world. In spite of unrest abroad, especially in the Middle East, Trump said the United States must look inward and steer its resources toward rebuilding domestic infrastructure.

"I do think it’s a different world today, and I don’t think we should be nation-building anymore," Trump said. "I think it’s proven not to work, and we have a different country than we did then. We have $19 trillion in debt. We’re sitting, probably, on a bubble. And it’s a bubble that if it breaks, it’s going to be very nasty. I just think we have to rebuild our country."

He added: "I watched as we built schools in Iraq and they’re blown up. We build another one, we get blown up. We rebuild it three times and yet we can’t build a school in Brooklyn. We have no money for education because we can’t build in our own country. At what point do you say, 'Hey, we have to take care of ourselves?' So, I know the outer world exists and I’ll be very cognizant of that. But at the same time, our country is disintegrating, large sections of it, especially the inner cities."

For the first time, Trump also listed members of a team chaired by Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) that is counseling him on foreign affairs and helping to shape his policies: Keith Kellogg, Carter Page, George Papadopoulos, Walid Phares and Joseph E. Schmitz.

Trump praised George P. Shultz, who served as President Ronald Reagan's top diplomat, and was harshly critical of current secretary of state John F. Kerry. He questioned the United States’ continued involvement in NATO and, on the subject of Russia’s aggression in Ukraine, said America’s allies are "not doing anything."

"Ukraine is a country that affects us far less than it affects other countries in NATO, and yet we’re doing all of the lifting," Trump said. "They’re not doing anything. And I say: 'Why is it that Germany’s not dealing with NATO on Ukraine? Why is it that other countries that are in the vicinity of Ukraine, why aren’t they dealing? Why are we always the one that’s leading, potentially the third world war with Russia.' "
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...shington-post/

I think he's got a point there.

On the other hand, he may be just trying to "work" the other NATO nations into "kicking in" a bit more.

We held the hand of Europe until the "Red menace" collapsed and our reward for that is.....? You got it.

We have put ourselves into a hefty debt situation here, and the amount of NATO/self defense monies we have spent didn't help matters any.

We can stay in NATO, if we like, but as another member.... NOT as the kingpin country.

GG
    "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

"Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

Comment

And yet in the same interview he named his foreign policy advisors, a bunch of NeoCons.

Typical Trump.
      “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
      “To talk of many things:
      Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
      Of cabbages—and kings—
      And why the sea is boiling hot—
      And whether pigs have wings.”
      ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Having seen firsthand what NATO really means in Europe, I agree with Trump. NATO is the accepted European excuse for "Let the Americans do it."

If Europe wants to remain free, it is their obligation, not ours. We have fought too many of their wars for them, with nothing to show for it except memorials to our dead and hugely mounting debts.

"Freedom" is not free.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
          And yet in the same interview he named his foreign policy advisors, a bunch of NeoCons.

Typical Trump.
          There are a few key differences, namely his appointment of former Merrill Lynch executive Carter Page, who, like Trump, supports a closer relationship with Russia. For all his bombastic rhetoric Trump actually seems politically closer to center than initially meets the eye. He was a former Democrat, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by BobTheBarbarian View Post
            There are a few key differences, namely his appointment of former Merrill Lynch executive Carter Page, who, like Trump, supports a closer relationship with Russia. For all his bombastic rhetoric Trump actually seems politically closer to center than initially meets the eye. He was a former Democrat, after all.
            Can't say that, not when he list the others as his key FP advisors. Even Neocons are not saying we need to invade Russia, so having Mr Page does not counter anything.
            “To talk of many things:
            Of cabbages—and kings—
            ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Of course with Trump you never know. He constantly condicts himself week by week.

March 11th:

http://www.news4jax.com/news/nationa...at-defeat-isis

Donald Trump's assertion that the United States has "no choice" but to send 20,000 to 30,000 combat troops to fight ISIS in the Middle East raises a slew of complicated questions, military analysts said Friday.
              "We really have no choice. We have to knock out ISIS," he said. "I would listen to the generals, but I'm hearing numbers of 20,000 to 30,000."
              March 22nd:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/w...w/51507857.cms

Leading Republican presidential contender Donald Trump has ruled out sending thousands of US ground troops to fight IS but has supported use of air power to defeat the terror outfit even as he said America needs to rethink its involvement in Nato.
              "The military tells me, we need 20,000 or 30,000 troops. I wouldn't deploy 20,000. I'd get people from that part of the world to put up the troops, and I'd certainly give them air power and air support and some military support. But I would never ever put up 20,000 or 30,000," Trump told CNN.
              Only in Trump World does this make sense.
              “To talk of many things:
              Of cabbages—and kings—
              ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Of course with Trump you never know. He constantly condicts himself week by week.
                I agree completely.
                Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Having seen firsthand what NATO really means in Europe, I agree with Trump. NATO is the accepted European excuse for "Let the Americans do it."

If Europe wants to remain free, it is their obligation, not ours. We have fought too many of their wars for them, with nothing to show for it except memorials to our dead and hugely mounting debts.

"Freedom" is not free.
                  Exactly!

Comment

Which is precisely the reason why I will never cast a ballot for him. He's an opportunist, not a leader.

Comment

Probably the most logical thing he has said all campaign. But, like others have pointed out he has already contradicted himself and will probably do so again. Trump has held pretty much every position possible throughout this race. So he doesn't really stand for anything, he just tells everyone what they want to hear.
                      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                      - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

"Freedom" is not free.

The USA gains more from NATO than any single country. Sure European security is a bit better but the EU NATO members still match Russia for power. Excluding there strong econmies, industry, non NATO countries that will end up joining (scandvia) and Canada.

Where America now has access to bases for storage and transit in Europe and countless islands around the world. Not to menstion NATO is in Astan for America.

Has for fighting. France hit Mali and won with African ground forces.

Any case trump is right the USA needs to focus on the home. Charity begins at home.
                        you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF1987 View Post
                          Which is precisely the reason why I will never cast a ballot for him. He's an opportunist, not a leader.
                          There is nothing wrong with being an opportunist :successful people are always opportunists .All US presidents were opportunists .

not a leader : thus : you are sorry that he is not a Führer ?

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                            Probably the most logical thing he has said all campaign. But, like others have pointed out he has already contradicted himself and will probably do so again. Trump has held pretty much every position possible throughout this race. So he doesn't really stand for anything, he just tells everyone what they want to hear.
                            Trump is an idiot and seems to have no core beliefs.

Hillary may have core beliefs, but they are all for sale to the highest bidder.

We have an awful choice it seems. My preference is for trump only because I have hope he won't betray us. I have no such hope in Hillary.
                            Last edited by Cambronnne; 23 Mar 16, 13:14.
                            Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post
                              Trump is an idiot and seems to have no core beliefs it seems.

Hillary may have core beliefs, but they are all for sale to the highest bidder.

We have an awful choice it seems. My preference is for trump only because I have hope he won't betray us. I have no such hope in Hillary.
                              Hillary is a scumbag, but in a way that makes her more predictable. Both Trump and Hillary have made an art out of flip-flopping, but I'm still unsure on Trumps motivations - or what his actual goal is.

Neither one seems like a good choice.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X