Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Social Media nullified Citizen United?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Social Media nullified Citizen United?

I just ran across this very interesting article on one of the very conservative sites that I read on occasion.

Will this change end a lot of National News Media influence? They have made huge amounts of money from their punditry and political advertising. While there was some political advertising on TV for the various candidates, it seems that there was less of it here in Missouri. Have you all sensed that or was I able to tune it out? It seems like it only went on for a few days rather than weeks.

Another thing I noticed was that many of my friends and family were posting and reposting articles, editorials, and speeches that reflected their political positions, so you could read/watch or not as you wished, but you still knew how they felt.

This change, from big money campaigns to social media campaigns, has taken place so rapidly that newspaper and TV political pundits failed to grasp it. It didnít fit their old paradigm what works in political campaigns and what doesnít. There is also a strong factor of cognitive dissonance: they have to deny that social media are stronger than themselves. This is because they make a lot of money from political advertising and the last thing they want political candidates to realize is that they donít have to buy ads on their networks to get elected.

The interesting thing about this is that unlike campaign messaging which often escapes hard financial analysis, it is possible to compare the results of social media messaging to money spent on traditional campaign advertising. Trump was quick to point out that in the state of Florida millions were spent on negative ads against him, and these millions failed to influence voters.
    Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/artic...#ixzz43GqytGHv
    Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook
    Homo homini lupus

Originally posted by Jannie View Post
    I just ran across this very interesting article on one of the very conservative sites that I read on occasion.

Will this change end a lot of National News Media influence? They have made huge amounts of money from their punditry and political advertising. While there was some political advertising on TV for the various candidates, it seems that there was less of it here in Missouri. Have you all sensed that or was I able to tune it out? It seems like it only went on for a few days rather than weeks.

Another thing I noticed was that many of my friends and family were posting and reposting articles, editorials, and speeches that reflected their political positions, so you could read/watch or not as you wished, but you still knew how they felt.

I hope so! IMO Citizen United was the worse SC decisions since Dredd Scott.
    Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
    Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Jannie,

I think it has nullified Citizen United and the MSM. Good thought provoking article, it tells exactly what Trump is doing and no one seems to be able to stop him.

This is what is floating around on Face Book 'There was a Time':

https://www.facebook.com/endfederalr...77185/?fref=nf
      "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Why are Americans so happy if everyone knows their political opinions ?

Comment

Nichols: Powerful video. However, I never saw it before our primary. And if it had popped up on my timeline, I might have or might not have watched it. I had the choice. It was not coming through unbidden on my TV set. Have I chosen to pass it on? No.

ljadw: I think that everyone is trying to influence everyone else. Why do we all post here. Are we just posting into the wind? Are we actually talking to each other. Do we care what others here say? Do we seek validation so someone gives us a symbol of approval. This Armchair General Forums is more Social Media than Mainstream Media.
          Homo homini lupus

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
            I hope so! IMO Citizen United was the worse SC decisions since Dredd Scott.

If it is that bad, then explain to me why groups of people who call themselves corporations cannot contribute to political campaigns or engage in free speech, but groups of people who call themselves unions can.

Unless, of course, you accept that they are the same thing.
            Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Social media can't nullify the Citizens United decision. Free speech doesn't nullify free speech by others.
              Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

^ Cambronne, perhaps I should have asked if the power of Social Media nullifies the power of Citizens United. I think it does because we are all generating our own propaganda. And in that way, by sharing and writing about our personal beliefs we may be reinforcing them. And maybe there may be less offensiveness by sharing stuff on Social Media than by standing out arguing with someone in person. I did not get upset with Nichols with his sharing the Trump video, but I could control whether I wanted to pass it on or not. I think Social Media give you more control.

Sorry if this is incoherent. I am just doing a stream of consciousness thing here online rather than composing off line.
                Homo homini lupus

Comment

Nichols: Powerful video. However, I never saw it before our primary. And if it had popped up on my timeline, I might have or might not have watched it. I had the choice. It was not coming through unbidden on my TV set. Have I chosen to pass it on? No.
                  Jannie,

Today was the first time that I saw it also. I don't talk about politics on Social Media....too many friends that are 180 degrees different from me. I pretty much focus on family, childhood cancer, & volunteer activities.

After reading your linked article I actually looked at one of my friends Face Book page and found that video link. Up until a few weeks ago she was bad mouthing Trump.

With my limited view, that pretty much confirms what the article said. Trump isn't spend nearly as much money on the campaign as the others yet he has more media exposure.

He is playing the American people like a finely tuned guitar.

Outrageous statements that get publicity, once the spot light is on, talk it back a few notches. Use Social media to get his real message out.
                  "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X