Bigotry is in the eye of the beholder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigotry is in the eye of the beholder

Many of my fellow posters here just do not see what makes Donald Trump so offensive to so many people and the fact that the Donald is so popular with people that are openly racist like David Duke does not seem to register. What I have learned a long time ago is that just because you do not find something offensive does not mean that it is inoffensive. A lot of people thought that "The Sopranos" was just good television, while a lot of Italian Americans like me found it to be quite the opposite. The excuse that was trotted out at the time was that not all Italian Americans found the show offensive. Sorry, wrong answer! The fact that something is not universally offensive does not excuse it. It may be okay to fart around your buddies watching football but would you pass gas in church? So, to discuss just one of the groups that the Donald has managed to offend here you go.

Latinos line up to get naturalized and stop Trump

(CNN) — When Donald Trump speaks at one of his rallies, Gisell Broch physically reacts. She cringes. "He's like a punch to the gut."

That punch is so palpable that it's shaken the Cuba native out of a 22-year contentment at simply holding her green card. Thanks to Trump, she's seeking her U.S. citizenship in time to vote against him in November.

"He's a racist," said Broch, from her front row seat at a naturalization information session in Homestead, Florida. When Broch files her paperwork, she expects she'll vote for "anyone but Trump" as her first vote as a U.S. citizen.

Trump's campaign pledge to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border and his statement that Mexico sends criminals, drugs and rapists into America have become a rallying cry for Latinos. The Trump campaign says his proposed immigration reforms will end up benefiting legal Latino immigrants.

Like the visible protests at Trump's rallies, quiet yet powerful protests have been brewing among immigrants who are permanent residents in the United States since Trump's campaign announcement last June.
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/16/politi...ump/index.html
    Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
    Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Why do so many black people think Trump is racist? Is it simply because David Duke "endorsed" him?
    “I do not wish to have the slave emancipated because I love him, but because I hate his master."
    --Salmon P. Chase

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
      Many of my fellow posters here just do not see what makes Donald Trump so offensive to so many people and the fact that the Donald is so popular with people that are openly racist like David Duke does not seem to register.
      Strange how it doesn't register........

“We want Hillary Clinton to win,” Mr Quigg told The Telegraph. “She is telling everybody one thing, but she has a hidden agenda. She’s telling everybody what they want to hear so she can get elected, because she’s Bill Clinton’s wife, she’s close to the Bushes. [But] once she’s in the presidency, she’s going to come out and her true colours are going to show.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...y-Clinton.html

So CNN finds one person that is wants to become a citizen to vote against Trump....good for CNN. Then they mention a surge in people wanting to get citizenship......and attempt to tie that in as being anti Trump without presenting facts........You bought CNN's twist, hook, line, & sinker......

Here's a story from Florida also:

For a campaign frequently depicted as offering a rallying point for the white working class, the people volunteering to help Mr. Trump here are noteworthy for their ethnic diversity. They include a young woman who recently arrived from Peru; an immigrant from the Philippines; a 70-year-old Lakota Indian; a teenage son of Russian immigrants; a Mexican-American.

They range the political spectrum, too, from lifelong Democrat to independent to libertarian to conservative Republican. To a person, they condemned and sometimes ridiculed David Duke and other white supremacists who have noisily backed Mr. Trump. “I totally do not agree with them,” said one volunteer, Andrew Cherry.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/14/us...=top-news&_r=0
      "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Many of my fellow posters here just do not see what makes Donald Trump so offensive to so many people and the fact that the Donald is so popular with people that are openly racist like David Duke does not seem to register. What I have learned a long time ago is that just because you do not find something offensive does not mean that it is inoffensive. A lot of people thought that "The Sopranos" was just good television, while a lot of Italian Americans like me found it to be quite the opposite. The excuse that was trotted out at the time was that not all Italian Americans found the show offensive. Sorry, wrong answer! The fact that something is not universally offensive does not excuse it. It may be okay to fart around your buddies watching football but would you pass gas in church? So, to discuss just one of the groups that the Donald has managed to offend here you go.

More Dem sponsored hysteria. The way it looks to me, and a lot of other Americans, is that the more hysterical and irrational the Dems become over Trump, the better candidate Trump becomes.

Besides, BoBo is a total racist and the Latinos didn't come out then, so their actions now mean nothing, especially since they are Federal criminals by definition.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

The LGBT community are divided on Trump. Some support him after he said this last month.

"When President Trump is in office, can we look for more forward motion on equality for gays and lesbians?" the NECN reporter inquired in a video interview posted Thursday. Preceding the question, O’Connell identified herself as a lesbian to Trump and noted the recent “great progress for the gay and lesbian community.”

"Well, you can,” Trump responded. “We're going to bring people together, and that's your thing, and other people have their thing. We have to bring all people together, and if we don't we're not going to have a country anymore. It’s gonna be a total mess. It’s a mess right now. It’s going to be worse."
          Then there are the hard-core Hillary supporters who want to use all our resources to derail Trump's campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
            Strange how it doesn't register........

“We want Hillary Clinton to win,” Mr Quigg told The Telegraph. “She is telling everybody one thing, but she has a hidden agenda. She’s telling everybody what they want to hear so she can get elected, because she’s Bill Clinton’s wife, she’s close to the Bushes. [But] once she’s in the presidency, she’s going to come out and her true colours are going to show.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...y-Clinton.html

So CNN finds one person that is wants to become a citizen to vote against Trump....good for CNN. Then they mention a surge in people wanting to get citizenship......and attempt to tie that in as being anti Trump without presenting facts........You bought CNN's twist, hook, line, & sinker......

Here's a story from Florida also:

For a campaign frequently depicted as offering a rallying point for the white working class, the people volunteering to help Mr. Trump here are noteworthy for their ethnic diversity. They include a young woman who recently arrived from Peru; an immigrant from the Philippines; a 70-year-old Lakota Indian; a teenage son of Russian immigrants; a Mexican-American.

They range the political spectrum, too, from lifelong Democrat to independent to libertarian to conservative Republican. To a person, they condemned and sometimes ridiculed David Duke and other white supremacists who have noisily backed Mr. Trump. “I totally do not agree with them,” said one volunteer, Andrew Cherry.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/14/us...=top-news&_r=0
            Clearly you missed the topic - this is not about Hillary Clinton so your posting is irrelevant, although I will point out that to the best of my knowledge no-one was cold cocked at Hillary's rallies, no-one threw out Nazi salutes at Hillary's rallies and that Hillary does not count people like these among her supporters.

Last night, PBS NewsHour ran a story on the Tilly family of Fayetteville, North Carolina. The Tillys do not have a history of being active in politics, but various members of the family—both old and young—are being motivated to vote or work for a campaign for the first time by Donald Trump.

If you can put aside the fact that the Tillys are rallying behind Trump, this is a small but almost heartwarming story of a family choosing to engage with democracy. That’s also if you can put aside the fact that Grace, one of the central characters in the story, has large white power tattoos on each of her hands.
            http://gawker.com/pbs-news-story-on-...y-f-1765284316

But to get back on the original topic:

Today, 8 in 10 Hispanic voters have an unfavorable view of Trump. That includes more than 7 in 10 who have a “very unfavorable” impression of him, which is more than double the percentage of any other major candidate.

Those findings compare with a Univision survey taken around the time of Trump’s announcement last summer, when just more than 7 in 10 had a negative view of him and fewer than 6 in 10 said they had a “very unfavorable” impression.

Should Trump become the Republican nominee, his current low standing among Hispanic voters could jeopardize the party’s hopes of winning the general election in November. In current matchups with Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton, Trump scores worse among Hispanics than any of the three other leading Republican candidates — Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz and Ohio Gov. John Kasich.
            https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-in-gop-field/
            Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Comment

Originally posted by Percy Coburg View Post
              The LGBT community are divided on Trump. Some support him after he said this last month.

Then there are the hard-core Hillary supporters who want to use all our resources to derail Trump's campaign.
              Percy, I think that you will find this in just about every community, a split between Trump & Clinton supporters.

The crazy thing about this is that both the liberal and the right refuse to accept this fact.

This is where both sides share common ground; a lack of understanding the electorate.
              "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Clearly you missed the topic - this is not about Hillary Clinton so your posting is irrelevant, although I will point out that to the best of my knowledge no-one was cold cocked at Hillary's rallies, no-one threw out Nazi salutes at Hillary's rallies and that Hillary does not count people like these among her supporters.

http://gawker.com/pbs-news-story-on-...y-f-1765284316

But to get back on the original topic:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-in-gop-field/
                Not racism, the immigration system is broke and needs to be fixed. What don't you understand about that? Listen and learn something for a "change."

My worst jump story:
                My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                No lie.

~
                "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by Percy Coburg View Post

That feeling is not limited to Hillary supporters. There are a number of Republicans that are clearly dismayed by Trump's rise and while they not vote for Hillary, I would not be surprised to hear that some will remain on the sidelines rather than vote for Trump. If the rise in value of the Bernie Sanders stock should tell you anything it is that not every Democrat is happy with Hillary. For example, she has done well with women in my age group but younger women have clearly favored Bernie.

Wealthy Republican donors looking for a more mainstream nominee have stepped up efforts in recent weeks to block Trump’s ascendancy. They flooded Florida with ads attacking the billionaire and failed to significantly dent his popularity. As a result, many donors, including Sola, are shifting their focus to Senate races where Republican candidates could be negatively affected by a Trump nomination.

Take Art Pope, a deep-pocketed donor who’s made a mark on North Carolina politics. Pope said in an interview that he’s a delegate for Rubio, who dropped out of the race after losing to Trump in his home state Tuesday, and will go to the Republican convention uncommitted.

“I’m not making a decision about who I’m supporting now,” Pope said. “Regardless of who the nominee for president is, I will very much focus my efforts on legislative races.”
                  http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/ar...ion-after-romp

Comment

Clearly you missed the topic -
                    I answered your remark:

"Donald Trump so offensive to so many people and the fact that the Donald is so popular with people that are openly racist like David Duke does not seem to register."

With a link to an example of the grand dragon of the California KKK..... and it
                    does not seem to register.
                    with you.

Why do you find KKK support for Trump so offensive but you are closed lipped about KKK support for Clinton....

Your agenda is obvious.

Comment

That feeling is not limited to Hillary supporters. There are a number of Republicans
                      That is what is making this election so different than past elections. There are Democrats, Republicans, Minorities....... and numerous other groups lining up with Trump because they a apparently tired of the games in D.C.

Comment

That feeling is not limited to Hillary supporters. There are a number of Republicans that are clearly dismayed by Trump's rise and while they not vote for Hillary, I would not be surprised to hear that some will remain on the sidelines rather than vote for Trump.

Guess again, I can't stand trump yet I will vote for anybody but shillary. I will hold my nose (yet again) and vote for any option other than her.
                        Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

This is just media attacks on the GOP front runner.

Media articles and the polls that 'support them' don't impress me.

The Dems have owned the black vote for generations, so Trump, like any other GOP candidate, have little expectation there.

Funny how the legends of the Great Latino Vote hasn't benefitted Cruz...

I'm non-White, and I'll vote Trump if he's the GOP candidate.
                          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
                            I answered your remark:

"Donald Trump so offensive to so many people and the fact that the Donald is so popular with people that are openly racist like David Duke does not seem to register."

With a link to an example of the grand dragon of the California KKK..... and it
                            with you.

Why do you find KKK support for Trump so offensive but you are closed lipped about KKK support for Clinton....

Your agenda is obvious.

Excellent point.
                            If Trump is racist because a former KKK leader supports him, then Hillary is even more so because a current KKK leader supports her.
                            By the way, who does the New Black Panther party support?

Who does La Raza support?

It is reasonable to judge people by their actions, but the effort to convict trump of racism based on what his enemies say and by who his supporters might be is weak.
                            Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

All the candidates suck this year. It's like the electorate will only support someone who s completely insufferable... Think about it, could you see yourself being friends with any candidate up there aside from maybe Kasich?
                              It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself-- Th. Jefferson

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X