Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What three things would you change about the US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What three things would you change about the US?

What three things would you change about the US?
    Why?
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

1. Make New York City a permanent test site for Nukes.

2. Give Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California back to Mexico

3. Change Sunday to Sundae.

Tuebor

Comment

1. Put a cap on lobbying to give everyone an equal voice. While everyone has the right to petition government, those without significant funds cannot petition to the same effectiveness as a multi-billion dollar company. Thus, leading to a situation where the first amendment rights of the average citizen are marginalized. The amount Comcast can donate to a candidate should be the same obtainable amount as everyone else.

It will also force our representatives to focus on the people as opposed to their pockets. They should be governing with the interest of the country as a whole in mind, as opposed to the interest of a single company.

2. Everyone votes on the same day. It's ridiculous that my candidate is out of the race before I've even had the chance to participate.

3. More liberties, more freedoms, smaller government. If it's something that doesn't negatively impact someone else in any manner then there should be no law prohibiting it. The government is not anyone's personal tool to force their own beliefs and values on everyone else. ie, while I don't do drugs and would never want to take part in an abortion, it's not my place to tell everyone else they should feel the same way. Pro-choice, and legalization of marijuana. Internet freedom, net neutrality, less domestic spying, etc.

4. I'm cheating. I would also crack down on urban gangs. Significantly to the point where such a lifestyle would no longer be viable. I find it slightly hypocritical that the US government was extremely involved and proactive when it came to shutting down violent Italian mobs. Yet, urban gangs are put on the black community to solve. Italian mafias would still be extremely prevalent today had the government approached them in the same way they do black gangs.
      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
      - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Limit Election campaigns to 4 weeks
        Congressional elections every 4 years instead of 2
        Term limits of 12 years for each position

Comment

Originally posted by VinceW View Post
          Limit Election campaigns to 4 weeks
          Congressional elections every 4 years instead of 2
          Four weeks is insufficient to reach voters.

Only Reps have a two year term. Senators have a six year term. Both are members of Congress. That said, I wouldn't disagree.

For myself, I would say make the media criminally and civilly liable for deliberate fabrications, such as changing Zimmerman's skin tone in his photo to stir up racial trouble.

Change the Supreme Court to three GOP choices, three DNP choices, and one seat appointed by the current process.

Give the President a line-item veto for financial matters only.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

1. Return senators to being chosen by state legislatures.

2. Remove the misused 'general welfare' clause of the US constitution.

3. Term limits of no more than 2 terms in any office and the inability to serve in the federal government in any fashion, elected or nominated for remainder of life.

4. Bond police and make them personally liable in any lawsuit against them if they are found to have violated a person's rights in a court of law.
            Islam... it's a blast - literally.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiryc View Post
              4. Bond police and make them personally liable in any lawsuit against them if they are found to have violated a person's rights in a court of law.
              We already are. However, under case law and statutory law the limits to which an individual can be held, which applies to ALL citizens, it such that there is not much point in suing the average citizen.

Under your scheme cities would no longer be liable, which would eliminate all motivation to train, discipline, or supervise the police. Which would result in much greater violations of civil rights.

And BTW-it was three items, not four.
              Last edited by Arnold J Rimmer; 12 Mar 16, 01:01.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                We already are. However, under case law and statutory law the limits to which an individual can be held, which applies to ALL citizens, it such that there is not much point in suing the average citizen.

Under your scheme cities would no longer be liable, which would eliminate all motivation to train, discipline, or supervise the police. Which would result in much greater violations of civil rights.

And BTW-it was three items, not four.

I disagree with your view on the motivation of cities to train, discipline or supervise the police. The city, if they failed to ensure that an officer that was hired was not properly trained, disciplined or supervised could also be held liable. I advocate that the individual officer should also be held liable with a lower threshold for the case to be successful.
                Islam... it's a blast - literally.

Comment

Originally posted by VinceW View Post
                  Term limits of no more than 2 terms in any office and the inability to serve in the federal government in any fashion, elected or nominated for remainder of life.
                  The problem with term limits is that the newly elected member becomes reliant on his/her staff to know what is going on. This staff would not answer to anyone in the long run since they would be needed to lead the new member around. They would be worse than the current system.
                  Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Repeal of the 16th amendment

Repeal of the 17th amendment

And I will agree with Reiryc “Remove the misused 'general welfare' clause of the US constitution.”
                    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

I disagree with your view on the motivation of cities to train, discipline or supervise the police. The city, if they failed to ensure that an officer that was hired was not properly trained, disciplined or supervised could also be held liable. I advocate that the individual officer should also be held liable with a lower threshold for the case to be successful.
                      So you advocate the dissolution of the Bill of Rights? Which requires all to be treated equally. Also that pesky innocent until proven guilty bit.

If the cities are still held liable, then you have the same situation we have today. Sustained volitions of civil rights are incredibly rare. Lots of smoke, very little fire.

Since there is no penalty for filing a frivolous civil case, the spirit of what you are suggesting would inevitably lead to the police doing absolutely nothing, ever. The agency has lawyers on the payroll and can fend off junk suits, but since 100% of a police officer's duties involved the civil rights of others, the only viable course of action would be to do nothing.

A self-defeating plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsar View Post
                        Repeal of the 16th amendment

Repeal of the 17th amendment

And I will agree with Reiryc “Remove the misused 'general welfare' clause of the US constitution.”
                        Yes to the 16th, no to the 17th. Even though the latter would favor the GOP.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsar View Post
                          The problem with term limits is that the newly elected member becomes reliant on his/her staff to know what is going on. This staff would not answer to anyone in the long run since they would be needed to lead the new member around. They would be worse than the current system.
                          Yeah, much as I hate it, term limitations would gut Congress and throw the triad out of whack. The checks and balances would not be complete.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                            So you advocate the dissolution of the Bill of Rights? Which requires all to be treated equally. Also that pesky innocent until proven guilty bit.

If the cities are still held liable, then you have the same situation we have today. Sustained volitions of civil rights are incredibly rare. Lots of smoke, very little fire.

Since there is no penalty for filing a frivolous civil case, the spirit of what you are suggesting would inevitably lead to the police doing absolutely nothing, ever. The agency has lawyers on the payroll and can fend off junk suits, but since 100% of a police officer's duties involved the civil rights of others, the only viable course of action would be to do nothing.

A self-defeating plan.
                            Quite true. We were discussing the whole mess as it is right now, and I brought up that by the time I retire from the job it's likely that Police will be on the Fire model due to civil liability and public perception issues.

That is to say that Cops will sit in the precinct, work out, sleep, chill, and otherwise not do cop stuff until a call comes in, at which time they will get in their car, drive out there (at the speed limit unless someone is bleeding out), take a report, advise the victim how they can go to the Magistrate to obtain a warrant, and then go back to the precinct.

After all, that seems to be what everyone wants. No cops on the beat. No cops 'harassing' people by working traffic. No cops 'violating people's rights' by stopping and conducting field interviews with suspicious subjects. No cops 'being cowboys' and working narcotics or other things like that.

Just one lap around town per shift to rattle doors on business checks, then sit in the precinct and wait for a call. And dispatch will heavily screen calls so that only those where a verifiable crime has been committed will be dispatched. Cops won't respond to civil matters, disputes, or any sort of custody or other matter unless the caller drives to the precinct and provides sealed copies of court orders. People just left to fend for themselves......left alone just like they want to be.
                            Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Change our executive and legislative branches to a Parliamentarian system. The current system, dominated by two parties, is no longer capable of providing an adequate voice our diverse voting body of citizens.

Simply look at the GOP this year. The cry is that they don't represent the actual voters when they are in office. However anyone with a rightward leaning political belief has no other party to vote for. Same with the Democrats you get one party or none.

This change would allow for multiple parties IF the voters demanded them. In the current system that can't happen.
                              “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                              “To talk of many things:
                              Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                              Of cabbages—and kings—
                              And why the sea is boiling hot—
                              And whether pigs have wings.”
                              ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X