Trumpery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trumpery

My attention was brought to this word today. It is definitely on point and certainly fits the Demagogue who wants to be president. He most certainly is a fraud.

Definition of trumpery
    1. worthless nonsenseb : trivial or useless articles : junk<a wagon loaded with household trumpery — Washington Irving>
    2. archaic : tawdry finery

Trumpery derives from the Middle English trompery and ultimately from the Middle French tromper, meaning "to deceive." (You can see the meaning of this root reflected in the French phrase trompe-l'oeil-literally, "deceives the eye"-which in English refers to a style of painting with photographically realistic detail.) Trumpery first appeared in English in the mid-15th century with the meanings "deceit or fraud" (a sense that is now obsolete) and "worthless nonsense." Less than 100 years later, it was being applied to material objects of little or no value. The verb phrase trump up means "to concoct with the intent to deceive," but there is most likely no etymological connection between this phrase and trumpery.
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

For what's worth,in French it is "tromper "
    That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

Still better than Hillary, who is the other alternative.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

They are both equally objectionable.

Did you see the mess at a Trump rally in St Louis today? He's acting more like a brownshirt everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

Did you see the mess at a Trump rally in St Louis today? He's acting more like a brownshirt everyday.
            Don't care. Of the two, Trump is the lesser evil. I voted for Cruz, but I'll support Trump if he gets the nod, which seems pretty likely.
            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Did you see the mess in Chicago tonight?

Trump advocated violence against protesters and it got so bad in Chicago that the Trump rally was cancelled.

You reap what you sow.

By the way, I'm voting for Rubio on Tuesday.

Comment

Did you see the mess in Chicago tonight?

Trump advocated violence against protesters and it got so bad in Chicago that the Trump rally was cancelled.

You reap what you sow.

By the way, I'm voting for Rubio on Tuesday.
                Good choice

Trump is disgusting and unfortunately Cruz is too anti-liberty for me.

Comment

I have seen every video I can find.

I am not a Trumpster, but this statement is completely full of crock. A bunch of angry haters wearing "F**K the Police" t-shirts, stomping on American flags, dropping F bombs and screaming "wh0re" and "motherf***ker" at everyone, scuffling with the police and you blame Trump and call him a brownshirt? The brownshirts were the racists foulmouthed protesting thugs if you even know the history of brownshirts. Don't lower yourself and make up disingenuous statements. You hate Trump, I get it. There is no need to make stuff up to satisfy or advance your position. Most of us find Trump distasteful, but still will vote for him over Hillary.
                  Last edited by Salinator; 11 Mar 16, 20:27. Reason: Typo
                  Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

All the lies about Trump are going to make the American people realize what losers the other candidates really are. That is the way it works in politics cause you can't fool out of the people all the time.
                    We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                      I have seen every video I can find.

I am not a Trumpster, but this statement is completely full of crock. A bunch of angry haters wearing "F**K the Police" t-shirts, stomping on American flags, dropping F bombs and screaming "wh0re" and "motherf***ker" at everyone, scuffling with the police and you blame Trump and call him a brownshirt? The brownshirts were the racists foulmouthed protesting thugs if you even know the history of brownshirts. Don't lower yourself and make up disingenuous statements. You hate Trump, I get it. There is no need to make stuff up to satisfy advance your position. Most of us find Trump distasteful, but still will vote for him over Hillary.
                      I agree with this statement. I looked up the event. I guess freedom of expression only counts if your a liberal democrat at universities...

http://abc7chicago.com/politics/dona...ally-/1241331/

Now that's abc, no water carrier of any republican...
                      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                        I agree with this statement. I looked up the event. I guess freedom of expression only counts if your a liberal democrat at universities...

These are the same kind of idiot kid types that got Nixon elected, and now these idiot kids have professors who were the previous generation of protesters who think they changed the world for the better. The only people that got anything real accomplished in the 60s were black preachers the very christians the professors hate.

I'm voting for Trump because he is forcing the nut cases on both side out from under their rocks. Trump is our Patton who calls it like it is.

The American people need to grow a pair. I really don't need an officer who is gentlemen I need one that speaks plainly.

If you are afraid of Trump and not the political establishment then vote for Sanders he is a nice guy.
                        We hunt the hunters

Comment

I don't care for Trump but you're starting to sound like a Russian the way you keep shouting Nazi all the time.

Trump is a goofball but likening him to a fascist is just wild exxageration.
                          A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                            These are the same kind of idiot kid types that got Nixon elected, and now these idiot kids have professors who were the previous generation of protesters who think they changed the world for the better. The only people that got anything real accomplished in the 60s were black preachers the very christians the professors hate.

I'm voting for Trump because he is forcing the nut cases on both side out from under their rocks. Trump is our Patton who calls it like it is.

The American people need to grow a pair. I really don't need an officer who is gentlemen I need one that speaks plainly.

If you are afraid of Trump and not the political establishment then vote for Sanders he is a nice guy.
                            Actually in the primary I will vote for sanders. (I'm a Indy and I can't vote in the republican primary here in CA.) I'll vote for sanders in the primary because anyone but shillary...

Also I think he'll be easier to defeat than the witch... (See I'm thinking ahead.)
                            Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post

Well, the whole goal of the protesters is to silence Trump. They were unable to silence Trump at St. Louis, so they started the rioting sooner in Chicago until Trump was forced to cancel it because it just got too dangerous.

The Trump haters are holding a celebration. They will continue to do it trying to silenced Trump. Who is the brownshirt now?
                              Last edited by Salinator; 11 Mar 16, 21:01.
                              Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X