Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Wounded Warrior Executives ousted by Board in spending scandal

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/03/10...ntroversy.html

The two top executives of the Wounded Warrior Project — among the largest veterans charities in the country — were fired Thursday after an investigation into accusations of lavish spending on parties, hotel and travel, CBS News reported.

Wounded Warrior Project's CEO, Steven Nardizzi, and COO, Al Giordano, were fired by the charity's board amid criticisms about how it spends more than $800 million raised in donations in the past four years, CBS News reported.

The charity's board of directors made their decision after a meeting in New York City, where they received preliminary results of a financial and policy audit, sources told CBS News.
    Charity Watch has listed WWP for many years has spending to much on administration and fund raising and not enough on programs. CBS had an in depth series of stories featuring former and current employees talking about massive spending on employee gatherings etc. After that story broke the WWP Board of Directors hired a financial law firm to do an outside investigation and audit. When the preliminary results were presented to the Board the Board canned the top two executives and promise more change as quickly as they can.

Example:

According to the charity's tax forms obtained by CBS News, spending on conferences and meetings went from $1.7 million in 2010, to $26 million in 2014, which is the same amount the group spends on combat stress recovery.
    The leadership that was fired took over in mid 2009, the questionable spending started almost immediately.
    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
    “To talk of many things:
    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
    Of cabbages—and kings—
    And why the sea is boiling hot—
    And whether pigs have wings.”
    ― Lewis Carroll

Not surprising. Charitable 501c3s are some of the biggest scams out there.

Tuebor

Comment

Top Wounded Warrior Executives ousted by Board in spending scandal!
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      Good Deal, should have been done several years ago!

I was made aware of Wounded Warriors "one for you, two for me" game by a friend of mine a couple of years ago and stopped my contributions to them.
      Personally I think that it is a shame on our Country that we need an organization like that to begin with!
      Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

...who ARE these guys?

So, who are these guys anyway, this Steve Nardizzi and Al Giordano? How did they come to be hired for the top positions in a charity aimed at helping our wounded and disabled veterans? Were they in similar positions previous to their sojourn at Wounded Warriors? Anyone got intel on this?
        ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
        IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
          So, who are these guys anyway, this Steve Nardizzi and Al Giordano? How did they come to be hired for the top positions in a charity aimed at helping our wounded and disabled veterans? Were they in similar positions previous to their sojourn at Wounded Warriors? Anyone got intel on this?
          His self authored bio from Huffington Post. Obviously not updated with his being fired.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steve-nardizzi/

Steve helped found Wounded Warrior Project™ (WWP) in 2003 and currently serves as executive director and chief executive officer, overseeing all aspects of the organization.

He helped draft the original text for the Traumatic Injury Servicemens Group Life Insurance Benefit Bill, which has processed over $200 million in benefits.

For more than 10 years prior to joining Wounded Warrior Project, Steve worked as an attorney representing disabled veterans for several veterans’ organization, and was the associate executive director of Eastern Paralyzed Veterans Association.

Steve also helped found Soldier Ride, an affiliate charity (now a WWP program), which assists in the rehabilitation of injured service members by sponsoring cycling events. WWP Soldier Ride serves the dual purpose of raising public awareness for the needs of wounded soldiers while assisting them in their rehabilitation.
          Seem his background is OK. Looks like a case of lots of money corrupting and creating a sense of we deserve all this because of the work we do.....

Shame.
          “To talk of many things:
          Of cabbages—and kings—
          ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

When I looked into support WWP a couple years ago this 2013 rating was what made me decide to support some local charities instead.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...2#.VuLuB_krJpi
            “To talk of many things:
            Of cabbages—and kings—
            ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

...of course!

quote from Huffington Post : "For more than 10 years prior to his joining Wounded Warrior Project, Steve worked as an attorney..." I guess that explains a lot.
              IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
                quote from Huffington Post : "For more than 10 years prior to his joining Wounded Warrior Project, Steve worked as an attorney..." I guess that explains a lot.
                Lawyers are need to go up against the VA. He was not practicing privately but working cases for various veterans groups that help Vet's in a claims fight with the VA. I have no problem with his work in with them.
                “To talk of many things:
                Of cabbages—and kings—
                ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

...and then the lawyer got the best of him...
                  IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

http://freedomoutpost.com/wounded-wa...-helping-vets/

Last edited by rkohut; 11 Mar 16, 15:20.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X