Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

state legislature legalize raw milk, drinks a toast, get sick !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• state legislature legalize raw milk, drinks a toast, get sick !

You know, some times you should just leave well enough alone....

State lawmakers passed a bill allowing people to drink raw milk — then became sick after consuming some.

Legislators and Capitol staffers in Charleston drank the raw milk to celebrate a law that loosened restrictions on the product. State health officials are looking into whether the milk was to blame for people getting sick and are weighing allegations the raw-milk party broke the law.

Delegate Scott Cadle, who stayed home sick on Monday, said the culprit is actually an unrelated stomach virus circulating the Capitol. Symptoms include fever, vomiting and diarrhea.

"A lot of people haven’t tasted raw milk ... and they find out it's got a little better flavor than store-bought milk," Cadle told the Gazette-Mail. "Most of them people just tasted it. That’s all they did".
    That was all it took!
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/wva...nhU?li=BBnbcA1
    Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
    Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Nearly all family owned dairy farmer use raw milk at home. The taste comes from the fact that the milk has more cream then the standard used by the dairy for whole milk which is 1/4 cream. It has not been altered by any preserving process.

As far as bacteria, there is none in milk from a healthy cow until she is milked. Any such bacteria comes from contamination in handling.

Raw milk is pasteurized at the dairy to kill bacteria that may be present to extend its shelf life. It is a compromise in preservation and altered taste where the product sold still has to be kept refrigerated.

Now, one can buy milk that has been canned or packaged to retain a shelf life of several months at room temperature. You can also purchase milk in a powdered form that you mix with water when ready to use.

A guarantee that you will not like either product since the preservation process destroys the flavor.

And, you are milking an animal in a stall already contaminated with e-coli and other bacteria that comes from it's manure, all of which can cause the stomach illness.
    “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

I wonder why they decided to go backwards in time and advocate unpasteurized milk? The whole point of pasteurization in the first place was to eliminate some of the potentially harmful bacteria and extend the shelf life of liquids. What's the point of going back to pre-pasteurization days, just because it tastes better? Buy a cow if you're that into milk!

Comment

That all we drank when I was young. Never got sick from it. As long as the cows are healthy and the product is handled correctly there are no problems. Homemade ice cream REAL ICE CREAM made with about half cream and half milk with a couple of RAW eggs along with sugar, and vanilla can't be beat. Just didn't like to turn the darn crank.
        Too Much To Do Too Little Time

Comment

Originally posted by FTCS View Post
          That all we drank when I was young. Never got sick from it. As long as the cows are healthy and the product is handled correctly there are no problems. Homemade ice cream REAL ICE CREAM made with about half cream and half milk with a couple of RAW eggs along with sugar, and vanilla can't be beat. Just didn't like to turn the darn crank.
          Sort of like ground beef--used to be no problem eating it raw or at least rare, but when you mix beef from farms all over the place in one processing plant you run the risk of contaminating all of your batch from one cow with e. coli. Something to be said for growing local produce and buying from local farmers so you decrease that risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve573 View Post
            I wonder why they decided to go backwards in time and advocate unpasteurized milk? The whole point of pasteurization in the first place was to eliminate some of the potentially harmful bacteria and extend the shelf life of liquids. What's the point of going back to pre-pasteurization days, just because it tastes better? Buy a cow if you're that into milk!
            That is my take on it also, pasteurization has been a common practice for how long?
            There is a good reason for it.
            Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
            Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

I believe there was also an issue if a cow ate a certain plant as well.

It basically poisoned people unless it were mixed with other milk to water it down like they do in the industry.

Comment

I wonder if TB from Milk is going to make a comeback.
                Conservatives in the U.S. won't be happy until Jim Crow returns and "White Heterosexual Only" signs are legalized.

Comment

The problem with the whole 'I did this as a kid and it never did me any harm' is how it skews the stats. I mean, how do you hear from all the kids who died?
                  One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions - Admiral Grace Hopper

"The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity."
                  Wu Cheng'en Monkey

Comment

Originally posted by BKnight3 View Post
                    I believe there was also an issue if a cow ate a certain plant as well.

It basically poisoned people unless it were mixed with other milk to water it down like they do in the industry.
                    Like all of the farm kids in Michigan that got sick as a result of milk cows that were poisoned by fire retardant that got mixed into their feed as a result of a labeling screwup.

No amount of pasteurization would have prevented that.

The problem was only discovered after someone at a testing lab for milk left a piece of equipment running all weekend and a squiggly line showed up on the chart where there shouldn't have been any.
                    “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
                      Like all of the farm kids in Michigan that got sick as a result of milk cows that were poisoned by fire retardant that got mixed into their feed as a result of a labeling screwup.

No amount of pasteurization would have prevented that.

The problem was only discovered after someone at a testing lab for milk left a piece of equipment running all weekend and a squiggly line showed up on the chart where there shouldn't have been any.
                      Perhaps you need the medical history of the situation...

Thousands died in the 19th century, and when a fancy female city born/edumicated doctor Anna Pierce Hobbs Bixby did all the research with the help of heathen Shawnee and concluded it was white snakeroot, no one cared until 1923 (55 yrs after her death) when medical research by other doctors came to the same conclusion.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X