No announcement yet.

Obama snubs Nancy Reagan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obama made sure to send an official delegation to Hugo Chavez's funeral...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...havez-funeral/

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
      Obama made sure to send an official delegation to Hugo Chavez's funeral...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...havez-funeral/
      Official delegation is going the Mrs Reagan funeral also. What's your point?
      “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
      “To talk of many things:
      Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
      Of cabbages—and kings—
      And why the sea is boiling hot—
      And whether pigs have wings.”
      ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

What you missed, and I clearly demonstrated, was and is a pattern of behavior by this President regarding funerals of VIPs in general. If Obama didn't already have that extensive track record of selective attendance, I wouldn't have cared about this subject. But he does. He has clearly displayed a bigoted and racist attitude towards the funerals of significant persons and those in the news.
        So, I guess you'll remain baffled that a Leftist like Obama can really be a bigot and racist, which he is, and not just proved by this one subject / example but by his behavior in office in general. I think that as President of the US he should be castigated for being a bigot and racist and done so regularly, or do you approve of such behavior from a head of state?
        A pattern? Out of the list you gave how many Presidents attend the funerals of soldiers, high-ranking or otherwise?

Whilst I am not really a fan of much of Obama's administration it seems the pettiness of the criticism says a lot about those making it. Desperate to take offence.
        "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
        G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
        Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

First Ladies attending the funeral of former First Ladies is the protocol. No President since before WWII has attended the funeral of a former First Lady. This is all a bunch of nonsense from folks who have no other way to express their existence except by hating other folks.
          Boston Strong!

Comment

Originally posted by JSMoss View Post
            First Ladies attending the funeral of former First Ladies is the protocol. No President since before WWII has attended the funeral of a former First Lady. This is all a bunch of nonsense from folks who have no other way to express their existence except by hating other folks.
            Not true. JFK attended Eleanor Roosevelt's along with past presidents Truman and Eisenhower in 1962.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...uneral/264460/

Comment

However, Obama has always been lavish in his praise and admiration of Nancy Reagan, saying that she helped ease his and Michelle’s transition into the White House. He said that she “could not have been more gracious and more charming” to himself and Michelle when they first entered the White House in 2009, The Hill reported.

He also said, “‘Later, in her long goodbye with President Reagan, she became a voice on behalf of millions of families going through the depleting, aching reality of Alzheimer’s, and took on a new role, as advocate, on behalf of treatments that hold the potential and the promise to improve and save lives.”

The President has been very open about his respect and admiration for Nancy Reagan. After she passed away, the President said:

As somebody who is lucky enough to have an extraordinary partner in my life as well, I know how much she meant not just to President Reagan but to the country as a whole.”

Obama ordered the the flags be flown at half-staff at the White House, public buildings, military posts, and other facilities until sunset on Friday, after Nancy Reagan’s funeral.

Sitting Presidents don’t always attend a former First Lady’s funeral, but current and former First Ladies typically do. In fact, Obama also didn’t attend former First Lady Betty Ford’s funeral in 2011. Michelle Obama attended Ford’s funeral, without her husband, according to the LA Times. Former First Lady Rosalynn Carter delivered the eulogy for Ford’s funeral and Nancy Reagan and Hillary Clinton also attended. Former President George Bush was also there, but when he was sitting President he did not attend Lady Bird Johnson’s funeral.

Comment

Interestingly, Obama’s decision not to attend may have nothing to do with ideology. According to Vanity Fair, both of Nancy and Ronald Reagan’s children, Ron Reagan and Patti Davis, publicly endorsed Obama’s candidacy.

In Obama’s first press conference after his first election, he was asked which presidents he would talk to for advice. He jokingly said that he didn’t want to get into a “Nancy Reagan thing” about doing seances. Later that afternoon, realizing what he had done, Obama called Nancy Reagan and apologized for what he had said. After that, Michelle Obama called Nancy asking for advice and invited her to have dinner with them.

However, Nancy Reagan and President Obama’s relationship hasn’t been without its stressful moments, Vanity Fair reported. Nancy was a strong advocate for embryonic stem cell research, which was vetoed by Bush. After Obama took office, he reversed Bush’s policy in March 2009. Nancy issued a statement that she was very grateful to Obama for lifting restrictions on federal funding for embryonic stem cell research. But when Obama had his announcement ceremony about the research, he didn’t invite Nancy Reagan. She told Vanity Fair at the time:

“I would have gone, and you know I don’t like to travel. Politically it would have been a good thing for him to do. Oh, well, nobody’s perfect. He called and thanked me for working on it. But he could have gotten more mileage out of it.”

Comment

Not true. JFK attended Eleanor Roosevelt's along with past presidents Truman and Eisenhower in 1962.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...uneral/264460/
                  And that was the last one. Your dislike/hate for the O's is like a cancer in you.

You don't like nor do most of the rest of us here care for O. Safe your energies for defending The Rump. You'll need them.
                  "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X