Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, polls are a good sign that you're going to win

Comment

As many have pointed out polls work if people actually vote. Young democrats and minorities will stay at home if Clinton is the Democratic candidate. Her negative energy is only matched by Mitt Romney's.
      We hunt the hunters

Comment

Just a question...

How is Hillary going to move or motivate an audience or crowd that isn't largely or entirely Progressive? I'm not talking Conservative here, just in the Middle voters?

More Obama? More government? More "free" stuff? Tax the rich? What message can she deliver that would have some motivating effect on the Middle?

I don't see her managing that.

I also don't see her doing well against Trump in a debate. He'll attack her and she'll get defensive and shrill. We've seen that numerous times before. I really don't see how she can get around her base personality.

I could see something like he brings up her e-mails. She gets hostile and deflects saying something like "that's old news..." or "It's already been settled..."
        He doesn't let up and she hostile and insulting. One "What difference at this point does it make moment" and she loses the Middle.

I still think Trump is like Arpaio here in AZ. He may be a grade AAA+ jerk and anal retentive @$$hole but he wins elections.
        Hillary is damaged goods and has really demonstrated again, and again she can't stand up to solid opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by rkohut View Post
          Yes, polls are a good sign that you're going to win
          Interesting. The Monmouth poll was nearly dead on with the GOP primary in Michigan.

As already alluded to, at least for Michigan, the Democrats did not turn out for Hillary, or turned out in far larger numbers than expected for Sanders, then the poll suggests. If this is true most elsewhere, then Hillary is in trouble in the long run, because it suggests there is little excitement for her in the Democratic electorate.

Tuebor
          Last edited by Tuebor; 09 Mar 16, 19:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuebor View Post
            Interesting. The Monmouth poll was nearly dead on with the GOP primary in Michigan.

As already alluded to, at least for Michigan, the Democrats did not turn out for Hillary, or turned out in far larger numbers than expected for Sanders, then the poll suggests. If this is true most elsewhere, then Hillary is in trouble in the long run, because it suggests there is little excitement for her in the Democratic electorate.

Tuebor
            Hillary is only in good shape for electors for her party's nomination because of how the Democrats do their primaries. She is scooping up virtually all the "super delegates." That is, the ones the party bosses and insiders decide who to give them to.
            The Democrat primary process puts almost equal weight on party hacks and insiders as delegates as it does on ones that party members vote for. Hillary has the party leadership and hacks in her pocket. If it were more like the Republican system she and Sanders would likely be in a near dead heat.

That tells you a lot about the Democrat party as well as Hillary's potential with voters. She's not that popular even with her own party outside of the elite leadership and without them she probably would be facing a brokered convention.

But, the MSM and Democrat party both gloss over that whole situation as if it really didn't exist. That too tells you something about how things are going.

Comment

I will vote for Trump in the Primary in the hopes that a win will jerk up the heads of the Powers that Be in the Party out of the sand and make them decide to do some things differently.

My thinking is that Trump is against more war, against exporting jobs, and of course against illegal immigrants. Also, the Republican Party has not succeeded in turning back the ACA and Gay Marriage. As someone said they have spent all their time and much of their resources being against Abortion, and Gay Marriage which doesn’t affect a large number of people, and not attending to the general welfare of the workers of the US, which does. Less taxes, no abortions, and gay marriage is not helping folks who are being permanently displaced in the work place by having their jobs removed overseas.

As I read articles and hear the media talk about Trump, I have to dig deep to hear what he has to say policy wise. For instance, I just finished a Rolling Stone article about him by Matt Taibbi in the March 10th edition. I had to get more than half way through to get to his real political beliefs.
              For instance he would like to get rid of the insurance companies’ Anti-Trust exemption dating back to the McCarran-Ferguson Act of 1945 which allows the Insurance companies to limit themselves to each state rather than having to trade across state borders. It also allows insurance companies to share information and divvy up markets. He says, “The insurance companies, they’d rather have monopolies in each state than hundreds of companies going all over the place bidding….It’s so hard for me to make deals … because I can’t get bids.” He says this as a large employer. He says that prices would go down if the state by state fiefdoms were eliminated, but it is impossible because of the influence of the insurance companies. Then he goes on to say that he is self-funded, but that everyone else is taking money from the “bloodsuckers”.

He would like to take on the cost of pharmaceuticals. He would like for Medicare to be able to negotiate the price of drugs and save around $16 billion or more a year. He went to tell about how one of the Johnson and Johnson drug empire heirs was Jeb Bush’s finance chief.

He would like to place tariffs on products made outside the US, up to 35% on cars, to try to force the return of manufacturing and jobs to the US.
              We know how he took on Jeb Bush about the Iraq War of his brother, George W. Bush and deplored the cost of that war in men and money and essentially all for nothing. So I don’t think he would take us into a ground war in the Middle East. He may bomb and support ethnic fighters but I don’t think he will be likely to go to a ground war.

If you have a chance to listen to him unimpeded by debates, and press interruptions (because the Media does not like him) try to hear him with an open mind. I watched his victory speech on Tuesday evening and really liked what I heard, beyond the joking and gloating. One of the things he said that really made an impression was about how he intends to get Mexico to pay for that notorious wall. Mexico makes over $600 billion dollars from us in trade. And he says that a wall would cost $6 billion to build. That is one percent of what they get from us, so he wants to negotiate a deal for that $6 billion cost. I had always wondered how he intended to do it.
              Homo homini lupus

Comment

Trump is the under dog. americans like to get behind the under dog.
                I really think {wishful thinkin?} Trump the candidate is not going to be Trump the president. So far he has run a campaign that has shocked this country and the world with its unprecedented success. If the "independents" of this country wanted a candidate to shake up the system......you will not get a better chance.

Comment

IMHO, the possibility of Trump beating Clinton is 100%, in fact a landslide.

The ironic thing about people accusing Trump of 'being mean' and calling people names is that, in all cases, those people started it. It all began when useless, high priced deadwood McCain and Perry called him jacka$$ and Trump responded. And like a couple of sissy boys they cried about it and ran to mommy (MSM).

This is exactly why MSM fears him, Trump will not stand for their bs. And when he responds to their corruption his support will grow daily. That's why the MSM wants Rubio and Cruz. They can ensure that those two will have a 100% chance of losing.

Trump has, on occasion, said some embarrassing things, but he is getting attacked from all sides. His opponents, MSM, the reprobate elite Repub establishment, etc.

Most people don't like Trump because of the way he talks. But if you are going to decide the President simply by the way he talks remember, that's how Obama got elected.

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                    OK, Missouri has an open primary next Tuesday. I always vote in the Primary that interest me most which this year will be the GOP Primary.

So I have a question for conservative members of the forum. If Trump wins the nomination and then looses in Nov, will we hear that the reason the GOP lost is that once again, like 12 and 08, they did not nominate a 'true' conservative candidate????

If that is the case I'll vote for Sen Cruz, if not I'll have to think on it more.

You decide.
                    I'm not a true conservative. Some people call me conservative, some people call me liberal, and I got called a fascist a-hole once. But here goes...

If Trump wins the nomination, but loses the election I think it will be about more than not being a 'true conservative.' Someone more gifted than I am could probably link alot of it to not being a 'true conservative' though. True conservatives don't talk about the size of their schlong, or make fun of disabled people, or have a reason to attack Fox News anchors.

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                      If that is the case I'll vote for Sen Cruz, if not I'll have to think on it more.

You decide.
                      It is your vote, you decide.
                      "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

I voted for Cruz in the Texas primary. But I am losing faith in his ability to win.
                        Last edited by Arnold J Rimmer; 10 Mar 16, 06:21.
                        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by rkohut View Post
                          IMHO, the possibility of Trump beating Clinton is 100%, in fact a landslide.

The ironic thing about people accusing Trump of 'being mean' and calling people names is that, in all cases, those people started it. It all began when useless, high priced deadwood McCain and Perry called him jacka$$ and Trump responded. And like a couple of sissy boys they cried about it and ran to mommy (MSM).

This is exactly why MSM fears him, Trump will not stand for their bs. And when he responds to their corruption his support will grow daily. That's why the MSM wants Rubio and Cruz. They can ensure that those two will have a 100% chance of losing.

Trump has, on occasion, said some embarrassing things, but he is getting attacked from all sides. His opponents, MSM, the reprobate elite Repub establishment, etc.

Most people don't like Trump because of the way he talks. But if you are going to decide the President simply by the way he talks remember, that's how Obama got elected.
                          If Trump can support his rhetoric with tangible policy proposals, I think you might be right. Trump isn't Reagan, but he does have the capacity to be Reagan-esque.
                          Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
                            Trump is the under dog. americans like to get behind the under dog.
                            I really think {wishful thinkin?} Trump the candidate is not going to be Trump the president. So far he has run a campaign that has shocked this country and the world with its unprecedented success. If the "independents" of this country wanted a candidate to shake up the system......you will not get a better chance.
                            He might just be the Republican equivalent of Harry Truman.
                            Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                              If Trump can support his rhetoric with tangible policy proposals, I think you might be right. Trump isn't Reagan, but he does have the capacity to be Reagan-esque.
                              I couldn't have put it any better.

A similar parallel could be that both Trump and Reagan were at one time liberal Democrats. Reagan changed very early because he saw that they were anything but liberal.
                              I have, over the last 7 years, observed Trump being absolutely disgusted with Democrat policies.

Perhaps Trump changed like Reagan? Maybe, maybe not.

It appears that both Cruz and Rubio have agreed to sell their souls to the establishment Repubs over the last week or so in a desperate (at any cost) attempt to get the nomination.

But Rubio got the kiss of death when the coward Romney endorsed him. The results of the last week or so proves that as he's had the lowest voter count of his entire campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                                If Trump wins the nomination... he will probably win the election. If he loses, it will be due to the bat schist crazy things he says.

Romney's problem wasn't so much not being conservative enough... He just didn't energize any particular group of voters. Trump is clearly energizing voters.

If Trump racks up 1237 delegates before the convention (a real possibility), the GOP will have to unite behind him or disband the party. Trump is energizing Tea Partiers, Evangelicals and just about anyone who is fed up with Mordor on the Potomac... I think he is also reincarnating "Reagan Democrats." He is pushing a pro-America, optimistic message. He is doing exactly what he needs to do to win.

I could not have imagined this a few weeks ago. If Trump wins Florida and Ohio... I think its "game over."
                                First hint at a possible Trump failure to win Ohio. Fox News poll has him down by 5 points to the Gov Kasich.

Seems he has one big advantage, the Ohio GOP is actively supporting him:

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/ar...kasich-in-ohio

He has a unique advantage: the active support of Ohio’s state GOP. The party, run by close allies, helped him pay for trips to New Hampshire and South Carolina in the months before he announced his campaign. In January the party threw its support behind Kasich, breaking 64 years of neutrality in the presidential nominating process. (The last endorsement went to Robert Taft, in 1952.)
                                And more importantly:

The party is also deploying its voter turnout machine on Kasich’s behalf, driving a surge in absentee and early ballots, which typically account for a third of the vote. As of March 4, more than 84,000 had been received, according to Ohio’s secretary of state. “At the end of the day, we have the apparatus to turn out the vote,” says Borges. “It’s already been working for weeks, even months, to deliver this victory for John Kasich.”
                                Over the years, the Ohio GOP has polished absentee turnout to an art, including chasing snowbirds at their winter addresses and people who’ve moved out of state but haven’t yet updated their voter registration. The party sent mailers to about 150,000 absentee voters, each of whom will also receive follow-up calls from Kasich’s super-PAC, a coordinated effort no other candidate can duplicate, says Borges. The party is sending a million more cards to Republican voters expected to vote on primary day. Republican candidates for local office are carrying Kasich campaign literature as they canvass, as will more than 1,000 volunteers coordinated by the state party.
                                “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                                “To talk of many things:
                                Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                                Of cabbages—and kings—
                                And why the sea is boiling hot—
                                And whether pigs have wings.”
                                ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X