Harvard Law School scraps official crest in slavery row

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
    Our illustrious leader has done more to damage race relations, and sanitize our history than any president in my lifetime.
    Ditto.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
      I have to agree with you MM this is utter BS, maybe they also want to pressure Germany to get rid of the word Meister ( as it relates to the trades there) and my NRA rating of Master because they all relate to slavery, this is just nuts.
      That's really what this is... More bigotry, hate, and racism in a vain attempt to "erase" past bigotry, hate, and racism. Worse, the idea that you can erase the past some how is straight out of 1984. That is really the worst thing about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        You can't have a Masters Degree any longer because of history from two hundred years ago?

Then you cannot have a "Doctorate" unless you graduate form Medical School.

And, of course, no one can ever use the word "Mister" any longer, as it is a derivative of the word "master".

Mass insanity is the fate of America...
        Wow! Well, there is a first for everything; I completely agree with you for a change.
        Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
        Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy H View Post
          Hi

Hope this is of interest!

On the back of the removal of the Confederate Flag on some buildings etc, the removal of the Rhodes statue in Capetown and the attempted removal of a Rhodes statue in Oxford, its now Harvard having to address its past:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35726878

Regards

Andy H
          The Confederate flag issue was legitimate. This is pure BS! We may as well remove George Washington from the dollar bill because he was a slave owner. However, when we consider that idiots like Ta Nehisi Coates have remarkable traction in some circles this is hardly surprising. For those of you not familiar with Mr. Coates, one of his pet projects is advocating for reparations for the descendants of slaves; seriously. This is just one point where Mr. Coates is clearly out of touch with modern America. One of my former colleagues was part black and part Puerto Rican (wait for it) and one of his ancestors was lily white and an officer in the Confederate States Army. I have to wonder if Mr. Coates ever considered how you ask for "reparations" from someone like that. But I digress, this issue with Harvard is pure revisionist history at its most deplorable. Harvard should be roundly chastised for going through with this shameless kowtow to the forces of mindless political correctness.
          Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
            The Confederate flag issue was legitimate. This is pure BS! We may as well remove George Washington from the dollar bill because he was a slave owner. However, when we consider that idiots like Ta Nehisi Coates have remarkable traction in some circles this is hardly surprising. For those of you not familiar with Mr. Coates, one of his pet projects is advocating for reparations for the descendants of slaves; seriously. This is just one point where Mr. Coates is clearly out of touch with modern America. One of my former colleagues was part black and part Puerto Rican (wait for it) and one of his ancestors was lily white and an officer in the Confederate States Army. I have to wonder if Mr. Coates ever considered how you ask for "reparations" from someone like that. But I digress, this issue with Harvard is pure revisionist history at its most deplorable. Harvard should be roundly chastised for going through with this shameless kowtow to the forces of mindless political correctness.
            A agree with you, it's pretty embarrassing for Harvard that they'd cave in to this PC bullying.
            Also, the idea of reparations is pure fantasy in my opinion, and would open a door to similar claims going back through history. I would be for reparations for anyone alive who was a slave, or who is the child of a slave, because I think those would be legitimate claims but since no one of those generations could be alive any longer it's a bit of a moot point.
            Most of the complaints are basically centered around black people wanting what they want. They seem to be against one form of racism: racism directed against black people, and all other forms are of no concern to them whatsoever. In fact many black people don't recognize that racism against a white person is even a real thing--they think that the only racism that really exists is that directed at black people by white people, which is in my opinion a big part of the problem. Example is the Washington Redskins...to me obviously a racist name that should be changed, but not a peep from Obama or any of the black football players that are on the team. They keep playing, they keep wearing the red uniforms and the helmets with the Indian guy on the side, they don't give a $hit about whether it's offensive to Native Americans or not. At this point I'd say it's more likely that the name of the city of Washington is changed than the name of the football team. An example of real modern-day racism is ignored because it's not directed against black people, so no complaint whatsoever.
            The MLK quote Half Pint John posted is the shame of it...the dream he talked about was about equality, color-blindness as far as opportunity and the way people are treated, and I believe that in large part that dream has been achieved but we've moved on from that to a new dream in which black people want more. If I were a black person I'd be embarrassed and horrified at the huge backward strides the current generation has made, after so many years of progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve573 View Post
              A agree with you, it's pretty embarrassing for Harvard that they'd cave in to this PC bullying.
              Also, the idea of reparations is pure fantasy in my opinion, and would open a door to similar claims going back through history. I would be for reparations for anyone alive who was a slave, or who is the child of a slave, because I think those would be legitimate claims but since no one of those generations could be alive any longer it's a bit of a moot point.
              Most of the complaints are basically centered around black people wanting what they want. They seem to be against one form of racism: racism directed against black people, and all other forms are of no concern to them whatsoever. In fact many black people don't recognize that racism against a white person is even a real thing--they think that the only racism that really exists is that directed at black people by white people, which is in my opinion a big part of the problem. Example is the Washington Redskins...to me obviously a racist name that should be changed, but not a peep from Obama or any of the black football players that are on the team. They keep playing, they keep wearing the red uniforms and the helmets with the Indian guy on the side, they don't give a $hit about whether it's offensive to Native Americans or not. At this point I'd say it's more likely that the name of the city of Washington is changed than the name of the football team. An example of real modern-day racism is ignored because it's not directed against black people, so no complaint whatsoever.
              The MLK quote Half Pint John posted is the shame of it...the dream he talked about was about equality, color-blindness as far as opportunity and the way people are treated, and I believe that in large part that dream has been achieved but we've moved on from that to a new dream in which black people want more. If I were a black person I'd be embarrassed and horrified at the huge backward strides the current generation has made, after so many years of progress.
              In total fairness, not all African Americans share the feelings of those spoiled Harvard brats. I also completely agree in regards to some of the hypocrisy that you pointed out, but I will also add that virtually all segments of American society are complicit to one degree or another. As an Italian American I tend to notice that when Hollywood churns out a movie or television show about the Mafia virtually every actor will be of Italian extraction but make a movie about a war hero like Louis Zamperini and all of a sudden the pool of Italian Americans evaporates; really? You are preaching to the choir Bro, but I do concur wholeheartedly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
                Wow! Well, there is a first for everything; I completely agree with you for a change.
                I'll mark my calendar!
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X