X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvard Law School scraps official crest in slavery row

Hi

Hope this is of interest!

On the back of the removal of the Confederate Flag on some buildings etc, the removal of the Rhodes statue in Capetown and the attempted removal of a Rhodes statue in Oxford, its now Harvard having to address its past:-

Harvard Law School is to change its official seal, after a protest that it had links to slavery.
    The law school, part of the US university, has a seal that includes the crest of a notoriously brutal 18th Century slave owner.
    Students have been holding protests and sit-ins calling for a change in this official emblem.
    A Harvard Law School committee says the seal no longer represents the institution's values.
    Last week, the university announced that it would stop using the term "master" in academic titles, because of connotations of slavery.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35726878

Regards

Andy H
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

You can't have a Masters Degree any longer because of history from two hundred years ago?

Then you cannot have a "Doctorate" unless you graduate form Medical School.

And, of course, no one can ever use the word "Mister" any longer, as it is a derivative of the word "master".

Mass insanity is the fate of America...

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      You can't have a Masters Degree any longer because of history from two hundred years ago?

Then you cannot have a "Doctorate" unless you graduate form Medical School.

And, of course, no one can ever use the word "Mister" any longer, as it is a derivative of the word "master".

Mass insanity is the fate of America...
      I have to agree with you MM this is utter BS, maybe they also want to pressure Germany to get rid of the word Meister ( as it relates to the trades there) and my NRA rating of Master because they all relate to slavery, this is just nuts.
      Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

It's not only academia, but the most wealthy and insulated realm of academia, wealthy beyond petty real-world concerns, so it's no surprise they're lost in their own world.

Comment

From the link:

18th Century slave owner.

I wonder if they are going to request that Washington DC be renamed....since it is named after a slave owner.
          "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

What a load of nonsense.

They shouldn't change it. They're not protesting slavery, they are covering up history. Like it or not, slavery existed and its presence should not be eradicated from the record.
            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
              It's not only academia, but the most wealthy and insulated realm of academia, wealthy beyond petty real-world concerns, so it's no surprise they're lost in their own world.
              I was told that I can turn in my Harvard Master's in exchange for an African tribal sculpture. I asked for a Roman sculpture, but they said no.
              Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Last week, the university announced that it would stop using the term "master" in academic titles, because of connotations of slavery.
                So much PURE ____ in one sentence.

What's next? Do we rename cotton balls, or delete cotton from common use?

All this "black racist" crap is having the opposite effect on me.

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/spee...haveadream.htm

But there is something that I must say to my people, who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice: In the process of gaining our rightful place, we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred. We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. We must not allow our creative protest to degenerate into physical violence. Again and again, we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting physical force with soul force.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

Great words but those he addressed have not followed his sage advice.

With all the racial PC BC they have alienated me. Black American is the largest racist group of people that I have known.
                "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                  I was told that I can turn in my Harvard Master's in exchange for an African tribal sculpture. I asked for a Roman sculpture, but they said no.
                  Is this your sense of humor of do you have a degree from Harvard?
                  "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                    With all the racial PC BC they have alienated me. Black American is the largest racist group of people that I have known.
                    Well, there it is. I thought I was the only one with that thought process. (WHEW!)

What really angers me most is the fact that we try so hard to make it "easy" for them...... and what do we get in return? Black Lives Matter. That's what we get.

We get the NAACP, an organization that runs about trying to see racist underpennings to every incident of black vs white..... not only that but is FORCED to do so..... if for no other reason than to justify their existence.

Now THERE is an organization that assures that racism will go away! (Bah!)

I don't mind helping so much, but I greatly dislike the hand wringing demeaner of those who's life effort it is to see that all Blacks are treated with dignity.

I assure you, not all Blacks make the grade. (Just like the Whites.)

GG
                    "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

"Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

Comment

Our illustrious leader has done more to damage race relations, and sanitize our history than any president in my lifetime.

Comment

They tried to get rid of the statue of Rhodes at Oxford recently, but fortunately the Oxford acedemics are more sensible than their colleagues from Harvard.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-35435805
                        Last edited by Surrey; 06 Mar 16, 14:33.
                        "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
                          From the link:

18th Century slave owner.

I wonder if they are going to request that Washington DC be renamed....since it is named after a slave owner.
                          Just give it some time, they'll get around to it.
                          Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
                            Just give it some time, they'll get around to it.
                            I wonder what President Bill Clinton will do with his Rhodes Masters Degree?
                            "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

I say shut the white racist school down now! Anyone attending gets screwed and has to attend Yale.
                              My worst jump story:
                              My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                              As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                              No lie.

~
                              "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X