YouTube Philosphers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YouTube Philosphers

There is a guy who calls himself a philosopher that I watch regularly called Stefan Molyneux. His popularity like Rush Limbaugh's makes me question the critical thinking skills of our population. People need to stop and think about what limited government really means.

I was watching a talk by Steven Pinker where he describes how when he was younger he was a Libertarian until the police strike in Montreal :-) By extension the same illogic applies to those who are social authoritarians but financial anarchist. It is contrasted by the equally poor idea of those who think finacial suppression of the majority automatically empowers the minority.

Here is a nice take down of Stefan Molyneux

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN5OjzEfQmI

People seem to focus on how dishonest "ideologues" are but in reality they are often more honest that the rest of us. Some people see Trump this way as there is a natural fear that if someone doesn't keep the social taboos society will collapse. I would suggest that people simply lack the thinking tools necessary to navigate the contradictions that life throws at them.

Molyneux makes a very valid point that the police are not the only form of force that governments use. Taxes, regulations, limitations on free speech are a few examples of force that is not physical. He simply takes it too far.

I think what has happened is that by smothering open debate by the social censure of political correctness we have created an environment where only the most extreme voices can be heard. The irony is that being a moderate is often just an excuse for not being intellectually engaged.
    We hunt the hunters

When it comes to idealogues, we're all guilty of it and there's nothing wrong with it. But it has become popular to fashion yourself as an independent. In the end there are two kinds of people: people who are honest about being ideologically driven and people who lie and pretend to be beacons of impartiality.
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Why would a police strike make someone no longer want to be a libertarian? This smells of propaganda to me. There's nothing about the libertarian party that would invoke a police strike, nor does any sane libertarian want to see the complete breakdown of our police forces. Limited government does not = no government.

Libertarian policies would actually make our streets more safe, by ending the war on drugs and enacting tougher punishments on violent criminals.
      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
      - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
        Libertarian policies would actually make our streets more safe, by ending the war on drugs and enacting tougher punishments on violent criminals.
        Two stupid concepts based on complete ignorance of the actual problems.

We already have the toughest penalties the market will bear for violent offenders. There's a limit to what juries will hand out, and a limit to how many violent offenders we can house. Those ignorant of the actual problem think prisons are all the same, which is stupid. To contain violent offenders you need an entirely different physical structure, a radically higher inmate:guard ratio, and so forth.

Legalizing narcotics will not impact crime. Allowing corporations to aggressively market heroin and meth to young people will simply treble the number of addicts, and even if its legal does not make it free; addicts will still have to steal, rob, and con to get their daily requirement.

If you want to reduce crime, end the war on violent crime.

Or actually make long-term, meaningful changes to the education and private sector job opportunities for the children of the poor.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
          Why would a police strike make someone no longer want to be a libertarian? This smells of propaganda to me. There's nothing about the libertarian party that would invoke a police strike, nor does any sane libertarian want to see the complete breakdown of our police forces. Limited government does not = no government.

Like I say I watch Stefan Molyneux regularly and he describes himself as an anarchist not a libertarian. That puts him in the rather distasteful company of people like Noam Chomsky although they are clearly at some weird opposite end of the political spectrum.

I'm not picking on Molyneux he just happened to be one of the Youtube gurus I watch.
          We hunt the hunters

Comment

I criticized him once in the comments section of his vid and he replied to me in a matter of hours !
            A very weird moment!
            Coming from a borderline personality.Imo.
            That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
              I criticized him once in the comments section of his vid and he replied to me in a matter of hours !
              A very weird moment!
              Coming from a borderline personality.Imo.
              Hold on a minute; "weird"?
              What did he say? Or was it the fact that he is connected to his audience and is willing to communicate?
              When that is called "borderline" then it tells me that people have become too used to being disconnected from.... well, pretty much everything, especially this kind of stuff.
              I have had people get back to me on sites like that before, mainly by the people that are new to it all and are still interested in being understood, and that includes this very fellow.

Agree with him or not based on what he says, but why is everyone going for the personal attacks?
              Is it because people take the disconnect for granted?
              "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                Hold on a minute; "weird"?
                What did he say? Or was it the fact that he is connected to his audience and is willing to communicate?
                When that is called "borderline" then it tells me that people have become too used to being disconnected from.... well, pretty much everything, especially this kind of stuff.
                I have had people get back to me on sites like that before, mainly by the people that are new to it all and are still interested in being understood, and that includes this very fellow.

Agree with him or not based on what he says, but why is everyone going for the personal attacks?
                Is it because people take the disconnect for granted?
                I didn't really want to focus on Stefan Molyneux but more on how the internet is proving that many people are not ready for free speech. Too many people just want someone to give them the answers instead of doing the hard work to reason things out for themselves. In fact our politically correct problem is a direct result of the sins of our fathers. The kind of bigotry that permeated society only a generation ago produced and equal an opposite reaction.
                We hunt the hunters

Comment

Here is a guy that I like to listen to. He doesn't really tell you what to think he just tells you what he sees happening.

Ezra Levant

Special report: Inside Muslim majority neighborhoods of Malmo, Sweden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWSMURYM7bA
                  We hunt the hunters

Comment

The term "YouTube philosopher" is a cultural and societal oxymoron, on a par with "Google science".
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      The term "YouTube philosopher" is a cultural and societal oxymoron, on a par with "Google science".
                      I guess we are all trying to find our way out of the fly bottle.
                      We hunt the hunters

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X