Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Liberal Definition of Victory (And why satire is a failed art)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by the ace View Post
    The programme was quite incisive, but Oliver should've known better than to try to make Republicans think.
    How is comparing Trump to a back mole inspiring thought?

    This is the problem with liberalism. Simple minded insult comedy is what passes for thought.

    Most Reps don't approve of Trump but the ones that do won't change their mind because of because you say something witty.
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
      How is comparing Trump to a back mole inspiring thought?

      This is the problem with liberalism. Simple minded insult comedy is what passes for thought.

      Most Reps don't approve of Trump but the ones that do won't change their mind because of because you say something witty.

      Wit is the last thing on some Republicans minds.....

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by AdrianE View Post
        Here's the link for those interested in what John Oliver said https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnpO_RTSNmQ


        Now the question is: is John Oliver actually wrong about any of the facts he presented about Trump?
        Nope. His analysis of Trump is spot on. But his approach is guaranteed not to change the minds of Trump supporters. Once you take it to the playground you have lost the argument because the people who's minds you need to influence have stopped listening.

        He made the same mistake in his abortion episode. He told the people who believe abortion is wrong in all circumstances to feel free to tune out until the end, then yelled at them. The people who's minds he would love to change were excluded, thus guaranteeing their views to remain unchanged.

        Oliver's a funny guy but he didn't move the needle on Trump.
        A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Charger View Post
          Better question is: why would anyone take anything this loser says seriously?
          Loser

          How much did you earn last year?

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
            Loser

            How much did you earn last year?
            By that logic you just have up any right to crite Trump.
            "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Charger View Post
              Better question is: why would anyone take anything this loser says seriously?
              Simply cause he's intelligent.And you can say very intelligent things while you're making people laugh.
              Like him or not ,that's your own problem.
              That rug really tied the room together

              Comment


              • #22
                You claim not to be an ideologue but yet you can't help yourself


                Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
                This is the problem with liberalism. Simple minded insult comedy is what passes for thought.
                .
                I'm sure the perceived thought value would vary with the target.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by lynelhutz View Post
                  You claim not to be an ideologue but yet you can't help yourself.
                  I made no such claim. Everyone is biased and I made my biases clear. I am a Republican who doesn't trust Donald Trump. What I said in my OP was that as someone who doesn't approve of Trump I can claim objectivity when saying an anti Trump spiel isn't working. Because I don't approve of the candidate, when I say a hit piece failed - something I wouldn't want it to do - I'm not speaking from the grounds of being biased toward the candidate.

                  Get thee behind me, strawman.
                  A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
                    I made no such claim. Everyone is biased and I made my biases clear. I am a Republican who doesn't trust Donald Trump. What I said in my OP was that as someone who doesn't approve of Trump I can claim objectivity when saying an anti Trump spiel isn't working. Because I don't approve of the candidate, when I say a hit piece failed - something I wouldn't want it to do - I'm not speaking from the grounds of being biased toward the candidate.

                    Get thee behind me, strawman.

                    okay. I'm sorely mistaken.

                    You proudly wear the label ideologue. Someone capable of an objective and rational opinion on inter-Republic squabbles but otherwise not.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
                      QUOTE: " ... Because satire often hinges on hyperbole and generalizations, it tends not to be well received by it's target...."

                      In your thread example, many missed the satire responding to the OP satire.
                      No, what he actually linked to was your lack of a sense of humor.
                      Last edited by R. Evans; 01 Mar 16, 17:52.
                      Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by AdrianE View Post
                        Here's the link for those interested in what John Oliver said https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnpO_RTSNmQ


                        Now the question is: is John Oliver actually wrong about any of the facts he presented about Trump?
                        Umm...No! And it's Drumpf!
                        Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Charger View Post
                          Better question is: why would anyone take anything this loser says seriously?
                          Yes, why would you take anything Drumpf says seriously?
                          Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
                            How is comparing Trump to a back mole inspiring thought?

                            This is the problem with liberalism. Simple minded insult comedy is what passes for thought.

                            Most Reps don't approve of Trump but the ones that do won't change their mind because of because you say something witty.
                            No matter what Oliver called Drumpf, did you find anything that wasn't factual in his presentation? Fake university, bankruptcies, spewing false facts, and on and on and on...What exactly did Oliver say that wasn't true?
                            Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                              No matter what Oliver called Drumpf, did you find anything that wasn't factual in his presentation? Fake university, bankruptcies, spewing false facts, and on and on and on...What exactly did Oliver say that wasn't true?
                              I'm not criticizing his truthfulness, just his approach.
                              A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
                                I'm not criticizing his truthfulness, just his approach.
                                Well there was something that came out recently documenting the different comedic tastes of liberals versus conservatives, so even the same, non-political joke could be viewed differently based solely on ones own political views.

                                However, it must be said that I don't watch Oliver, so I can't really comment on his particular style. I even stopped with the Daily Show half a decade ago.

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X