Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Economist: Trump Is Unfit

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Economist: Trump Is Unfit

    Time to Fire Him

    I'm rather impressed that the Economist would be so outspoken about a mere candidate. They said similar things about Berlusconi, but after seeing him at the helm for a while.
    It's probably true that the people making their voices heard now, online and elsewhere, and the people participating in the primaries, have only a distant resemblance with the US electorate as a whole. But one has to wonder.
    You would imagine that Republican voters should be inherently risk-averse, prudent with regard to the economy, and, well, conservative. So what will they make of the assessments summarized by this article?
    Michele

  • #2
    One more reason to support Trump...

    Had I known the Economist thought he was unfit, I would have voted for him in the Texas GOP primary.
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

    Comment


    • #3
      Given the liberal tendency of the Economist (anti Israel,etc ) the best thing is to throw the Economist under the bus .

      Comment


      • #4
        Arguably the multicultural experiment was the radical move, perhaps the greatest one since WWII. If so, the conservative move is to at least halt the experiment and take stock, which is what Trump is proposing and I fully support. As much as anything, if Trump wins the GOP, the election will be a national verdict on multiculturalism. It follows we can expect pro-multiculturalists, who are legion in the media, to be anti Trump.
        Ne Obliviscaris, Sans Peur

        Comment


        • #5
          Another reason I'm growing to like Trump. If that rag hates him, he's good for the USA.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

          Comment


          • #6
            I think he's a demagogue who makes it up as he goes along but it strikes me that Trump won't be able to do a lot of his more controversial ideas because Congress won't let him. However his mere presence might scare the out of Washington so bad they might just swing back away from their usual establishment nonsense which Trump has railed against to get power back. Or am I being naive?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
              I think he's a demagogue who makes it up as he goes along but it strikes me that Trump won't be able to do a lot of his more controversial ideas because Congress won't let him. However his mere presence might scare the out of Washington so bad they might just swing back away from their usual establishment nonsense which Trump has railed against to get power back. Or am I being naive?
              Trump's posturing is a carefully choreographed effort to stand out from the pack, to look like something new, fresh, and different.

              He has made his peace with the GOP leadership (something Cruz has failed to do) and will have the party's support (and we control both sides of Congress).

              However, while I expect he will be more bellicose than most, his wilder schemes are simply campaign hype.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

              Comment


              • #8
                Be careful what you ask for! When Bill Clinton was running for President, I thought the reports that the Clintons considered themselves a tag team was electioneering overkill. Then I found out it was true! While FDR let Eleanor have her coverage, he never really let her influence his policy. Slick Willy actually let Hilary do stuff! I never voted for Hilary and she has not done anything since to change my mind.

                Pruitt
                Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

                Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

                by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

                Comment


                • #9
                  The Economist is right. We don't need Trump and neither does the nation.

                  Isn't he being sued for fraud over the so-called 'Trump University'?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Unless I'm greatly mistaken, the Economist has never elected anyone to the presidency.
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I doubt that if elected Trump will be able to keep his promises : when Reagan was elected, Time pictured him as the sheriff who would clean the thieves'den (Washington) .We know that he failed .

                      Will Trump be able to get away with useless money wasting institutions as

                      Department of Education where 4487 persons are doing nothing :education is the business of the states.

                      Health and human services

                      Housing and urban development : why should the development of NY City be the business of Washington?

                      And what about a moloch as Homeland Security (240000 )

                      And what about Veteran Affairs ? Is the situation of the Veterans better because of the existence of VA ? What is the aim of Veteran Affairs ? To take care of the veterans or to take care of itself ?

                      There are dozens of useless administrations which cost the tax-payer a lot of money .

                      They are very powerful and will block any attempt to kill them .

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ljadw View Post
                        I doubt that if elected Trump will be able to keep his promises : when Reagan was elected, Time pictured him as the sheriff who would clean the thieves'den (Washington) .We know that he failed .

                        Will Trump be able to get away with useless money wasting institutions as

                        Department of Education where 4487 persons are doing nothing :education is the business of the states.

                        Health and human services

                        Housing and urban development : why should the development of NY City be the business of Washington?

                        And what about a moloch as Homeland Security (240000 )

                        And what about Veteran Affairs ? Is the situation of the Veterans better because of the existence of VA ? What is the aim of Veteran Affairs ? To take care of the veterans or to take care of itself ?

                        There are dozens of useless administrations which cost the tax-payer a lot of money .

                        They are very powerful and will block any attempt to kill them .
                        You are quite right about the power plays, but Trump is the kind of man who will take the battle public and make his opponents look like the enemies of reform that they are to the American people. Trump's major advantage over all others is that he does not care what people think of him. For him, all PR is good, and his detractors have no defense against that.

                        Trump could well become the catalyst that changes American politics.
                        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Well, thank you to the posters who have expressed their own personal opinions on Trump. My question was for insights, or even just guesses, about how the voters of his party in general - as opposed to individuals here - would evaluate the underlying issues for this assessment - as opposed to the magazine's overall positions.
                          But maybe I was asking too much.
                          Michele

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Indian health service : maybe because Indians are different humans and need a special health service ,

                            Why not a Miners Health Service ,or a good-for-nothing service (there are a lot of such persons in Washington ).

                            And what's the difference between the International Trade Commission and the International Trade Administration ?

                            And : the substance abuse and mental health services administration


                            But the best one is the Arthritis and muskulosketal interagency coordinating (better non coordinating) committee

                            I am curious to see if Trump will be able to kill only one of these monsters ,well I am not curious : they will survive him, they are there (somewhere in the thieves'den) to all eternity .

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Michele View Post
                              Well, thank you to the posters who have expressed their own personal opinions on Trump. My question was for insights, or even just guesses, about how the voters of his party in general - as opposed to individuals here - would evaluate the underlying issues for this assessment - as opposed to the magazine's overall positions.
                              But maybe I was asking too much.
                              You got your answer - you just didn't recognize it. Republicans care nothing for what the Economist says, because it is not the voice of the nation and frankly, a majority of them don't even read it. The voters are the voice of our nation, and they seem to like Trump.

                              As I said before, the Economist has NEVER elected a president.
                              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X