• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa's new gun law

Read:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...en-handle-guns

Discuss.

Debate.

Nothing to see here. The parents still have to directly supervise them. They already can use rifles and shotguns under parental supervision, this just adds handguns to the mix.

Comment

When I was 8 I was given a bb gun, when I was 12 I got a .22. I was raised to be responsible and trained in gun safety. I think it was that way in all rural areas.

I used to walk down the road to the forest and get squirrels and small birds and no one batted a eye. One thing that it did accomplish was it made me a good shot...
      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by BKnight3 View Post
        What is your opinion?
        "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

So? I took a firearms safety course back when I was 12 years old. We were firing .22 rifles at the range regularly as part of that.
          I've taken my kids and even grandkids to the range to shoot (mostly .22 again) more than once.
          The way I see it, it takes the mystery out of firearms and teaches them to safely handle one at an age where they will retain much of that for life.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
            So? I took a firearms safety course back when I was 12 years old. We were firing .22 rifles at the range regularly as part of that.
            I've taken my kids and even grandkids to the range to shoot (mostly .22 again) more than once.
            The way I see it, it takes the mystery out of firearms and teaches them to safely handle one at an age where they will retain much of that for life.
            I'm wondering if its a rural thing. Did you grow up in the country? I'm think urban kids missed out on that...
            Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
              When I was 8 I was given a bb gun, when I was 12 I got a .22. I was raised to be responsible and trained in gun safety. I think it was that way in all rural areas.
              Exactly I was the same way. My dad gave me a BB gun at 10 and his dad's 870 and Gewehr 98 at 14. I never had any doubt what they were, what they could do or how to use them safely, nor did I ever consider going anywhere near them unsupervised until I was old enough. There was no mystery and clearly defined rules.
              "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post

I used to walk down the road to the forest and get squirrels and small birds and no one batted a eye. One thing that it did accomplish was it made me a good shot...
                Regrettably that is not always the case.
                Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
                Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

How about something other than a link? Don't strain yourself making an effort.

Especially since its nothing special. I started shooting when I was seven or so.
                  Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Are you posting an item of interest, or handling our class assignments?

Read.

Consider.

Respond.

Meanwhile:

Read it.

Nothing of major import.

Nothing to discuss.

Nothing to debate.

Kids out here in rural Colorado know all about handguns. They're tools like any other against snakes, critters and predators of livestock and pets, and for disposing of injured livestock, a frequent occurrence.

The only thing this post accomplishes is to call attention to the massive disconnect between city dwellers and those of us who live in the parts of America where all the food comes from.

When I walk one of our dogs, I always carry a sidearm, mostly because the shotgun , which would be preferable, is not a comfortable dog-walking accessory. Pax, however, says that the solution is to get a larger caliber handgun, something in the .357 range at least.

Why? We have bears, bobcats and mountain lions in this area for a start, since we are up against millions of acres of BLM land. We also have a plethora of avian raptors including eagles, and, of course, snakes. We also live in a confluence between nine state prisons in the Canon City Complex, two city jails, one county jail and the Florence Supermax. Forewarned is forearmed.
                    Last edited by Mountain Man; 26 Feb 16, 10:58.
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      Are you posting an item of interest, or handling our class assignments?

Read.

Consider.

Respond.

This is rich, coming from the "link and no comment king"...

Comment

Sorry for the long delay. I did open other threads recently.

How does this change NCIS?

The child is obviously not a criminal, the adult may have issues.

"But it's a gift for the kid."

Also since the threat of criminal children bringing weaponry to school outside of cities (an issue since the 70's which now tend to have metal detectors and police presence) does this change the narrative?

Comment

Why not? Didn't your parents trust you?
                          My worst jump story:
                          My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                          As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                          No lie.

~
                          "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                          -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
                            What is your opinion?
                            Do you really have to ask?
                            My worst jump story:
                            No lie.

~
                            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
                              Regrettably that is not always the case.
                              With those that don't have intelligent parents?
                              My worst jump story:
                              No lie.

~
                              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X