Loud Mouthed Professor Fired For Public Display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud Mouthed Professor Fired For Public Display

The University of Missouri Board of Curators on Thursday fired a communications professor who was captured on video scrapping with a police officer and a student journalist during campus protests last year.
    The board voted 4-2 in favor of firing Assistant Professor of Communication Melissa Click, who had been suspended with pay from the school since Jan. 27.
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/02/25...-on-video.html
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Hell yeah, I was waiting for this one.

"Going viral" was the doom of this loon. If it had just been on Fox, they would have ignored it. But YouTube? Now you are talking Big Time.
    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

That was a bit of local news I just picked up before reading your post. The midwest remains a fairly conservative region in my opinion but the faculty of any University is unlikely to represent the surrounding population.

MU faculty writes letter in support of Melissa Click

http://www.abc17news.com/news/mu-fac...click/37298206

Here is a copy of the letter.

December 14, 2015

To: Michael J. O’Brien, Dean of the College of Arts and Science
      Garnett S. Stokes, Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
      Hank Foley, Interim Chancellor
      Michael A. Middleton, Interim System President
      Ben Trachtenberg, Chair of Faculty Council

We, the undersigned faculty of the University of Missouri, are writing in support of our colleague Melissa Click, who is currently under fire for her actions during the protests in early November that led to the resignation of Timothy Wolfe. On November 9, the day of Wolfe’s resignation, Click was part of a group of faculty, staff, and students who temporarily sought to block journalists’ access to the students who had been protesting the administration’s handling of racial incidents on campus. Click subsequently issued a statement apologizing for her role in the incident, saying, “I regret the language and strategies I used, and sincerely apologize to the MU campus community, and journalists at large, for my behavior, and also for the way my actions have shifted attention away from the students' campaign for justice.”

However, this did not end the controversy over Click’s actions. Some of the coverage has focused on the issues raised by the tension between the rights of the press and those of the protesters, and we welcome discussion of these issues, believing that fostering such discussion is one of the roles of a public research university such as the University of Missouri. However, much of the commentary in the press and on social media has gone beyond legitimate debate to ad hominem attacks on, and harassment of, Click personally, and has even included calls for her dismissal from the University. In many cases, we believe, this commentary has been driven by outside groups with agendas external to that of the University.

We wish to state in no uncertain terms our support for Click as a member of the University of Missouri faculty who has earned her position through an outstanding record of teaching and research. We believe that her actions on November 9 constitute at most a regrettable mistake, one that came, moreover, at the end of a several weeks during which Click served alongside other faculty and staff as an ally to students who were protesting what they saw as their exclusion from and isolation at the University.

We believe that Click has been wronged in the media by those who have attacked her personally and have called for her dismissal. We affirm our support of her as a colleague, a teacher, and a scholar, and we call upon the University to defend her first amendment rights of protest and her freedom to act as a private citizen.

Signed,
      David Kofi Amponsah, Department of Religious Studies
      Demetrio Anzaldo, Department of Romance Languages & Literatures
      Aliki Barnstone, Department of English
      Cheryl Black, Department of Theater
      Jenny Bossaller, School of Information Science & Learning Technologies
      Wayne Brekhus, Department of Sociology
      Richard J. Callahan, Jr., Department of Religious Studies
      Nicole Campione-Barr, Department of Psychological Sciences
      Heather Carver, Department of Theater
      Elizabeth Chang, Department of English
      Nancy Cheak-Zamora, Department of Health Sciences
      Samuel Cohen, Department of English
      Signe Cohen, Department of Religious Studies
      Roger F. Cook, Department of German & Russian Studies
      Frances Dickey, Department of English
      Rebecca Dingo, Departments of English and Women’s & Gender Studies
      Daniel B. Domingues da Silva, Department of History
      Carrie Elaine Duncan, Department of Religious Studies
      Daive Dunkley, Department of Black Studies
      Cornelius Eady, Department of English
      John Evelev, Department of English
      Matthew C. Farmer, Department of Classical Studies
      Monika Fischer, Department of German & Russian Studies
      Bob Flanagan, Department of Religious Studies
      Sean Franzel, Department of German & Russian Studies
      Gabriel Fried, Department of English
      Scott Garson, Department of English
      Kent S. Gates, Department of Chemistry
      Maya Gibson, School of Music
      Elisa Glick, Departments of English and Women's & Gender Studies
      Sean P. Goggins, School of Information Science & Learning Technologies
      Matt Gordon, Department of English
      Rabia Gregory, Department of Religious Studies
      Jaber F. Gubrium, Department of Sociology
      Lily Gurton-Wachter, Department of English
      Sheri-Marie Harrison, Department of English
      Joanna Hearne, Department of English
      Cheryl Heesch, Department of Biomedical Sciences
      Noah Heringman, Department of English
      Joan Hermsen, Departments of Sociology and Women’s & Gender Studies
      Andrew Hoberek, Department of English
      Nathan Hofer, Department of Religious Studies
      Elizabeth Hornbeck, Department of Art History & Archaeology
      Seth Howes, Department of German & Russian Studies
      Clenora Hudson-Weems, Department of English
      Lois Huneycutt, Department of History
      Robert N. Johnson, Department of Philosophy
      Stephen Karian, Department of English
      Ilyana Karthas, Department of History
      Valerie Kaussen, Department of Romance Languages & Literatures
      I suspect that there is a hidden story here and that she was indeed provoked by people outside the University. She simply suffered from a familiar flaw that the justice of her position was self evident and persuasive. For me this is just one more example of how political correctness like many Liberal agendas backfire by failing to foresee unintended consequences. Repression only hides social problems it doesn't solve them.

Many liberals suffer from what I call pathological altruistic narcism. It feels really good to be a social reformer. They follow in the steps of the prohibitionists blindly believing that right makes might. If the forces of darkness are to be defeated they have to be lured into the light.
      We hunt the hunters

Comment

What is your opinion?
        "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

The university should have fired her after the video went viral. Instead they suspended her WITH PAY! When a college is having student unrest, it does not reflect well when faculty are helping the students act up. I hope she has enough money put away to retire. I don't see anyone hiring her to teach again.

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Her salary was 400K. In Missouri. Freaking liberal hypocrite.
            Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post

If true, it's at least ten times what she's worth!
              TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post

If true, it's at least ten times what she's worth!
                Ten? More like 100 times or more...

Comment

And what is the pension of someone who worked in a factory, who has made this country, who has made it possible for that DOB to study ?

Comment

Originally posted by ljadw View Post
                    And what is the pension of someone who worked in a factory, who has made this country, who has made it possible for that DOB to study ?
                    Careful. You sound like an anti-feminist, you bigot.
                    Last edited by Salinator; 26 Feb 16, 20:58.
                    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                      If I was a kid that is what I would be protesting.
                      We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                        If I was a kid that is what I would be protesting.
                        No, they protest what their professors tell them to protest. That's how they become so well educated and open minded compared to the rest of us bourgeois slobs.
                        "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Heard an interview on local radio with someone from MU...didn't catch who it was because I just turned the radio on when they were in the middle of the interview. The thing that caught my ear was this person called Click's firing 'proxy racism' which is a new term for me. So apparently if you fire a white professor for assaulting an Asian American kid, it's proxy racism? I felt that was a bit of a stretch. It didn't sound like the interviewee was blaming MU it sounded like she was blaming the state for pressuring MU to get rid of this horrible woman.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                            ...The university should have fired her...Instead they suspended her WITH PAY!...
                            FWIW: In many places, tenured staff acquire privileges with their time on the job. It can be difficult to immediately fire any one. The personnel process action must be initiated, hence her suspension, and personnel cannot take her pay without cause. Once the internal investigation was completed, they had the grounds to fire her.

Comment

Justice is served. And another screeching harpy bites the dust.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X