Gerogia Busissman Requires Employees to Carry Handguns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gerogia Busissman Requires Employees to Carry Handguns

ATLANTA The owner of a Georgia-based insurance firm is requiring all of his employees to get permits to carry concealed weapons and providing each of them with a handgun.
    Lance Toland of Lance Toland Associates says the slaying of his uncle several years ago influenced his decision to form the policy for the 10 women and two men who work in the company's three offices in Georgia.
    Toland says the policy is both about protection and citizens "enjoying and using our right to bear arms."
    Toland says that if someone tries to rob his business or harm his employees, they will be able to defend themselves against the aggressors "and get a piece of them."
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/02/23...e-workers.html
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

As long as he's paying reasonable expenses for his employees to do that, more power to him. As an employer, that can be a condition for employment... But he's got to cover employee costs for something they might not otherwise do.

Comment

Cool.

Comment

Interesting approach.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Good press. Will be interesting to see if it impacts sales.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
            As long as he's paying reasonable expenses for his employees to do that, more power to him. As an employer, that can be a condition for employment... But he's got to cover employee costs for something they might not otherwise do.
            He could spring for everything but the guns themselves, unless he is making those Company Property... and that wouldn't be such a good idea.

He should have vetted this idea ahead of time with his employees, who are almost certainly being approached by Left-wing activists as we speak; with offers of bribe money to get them to quit and bad-mouth the man that came up with this idea. They could even be talked into suing him for creating a "hostile work environment" for enough $$$.

Before you do something like this, you need to be sure of your people.
            "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
              He could spring for everything but the guns themselves, unless he is making those Company Property... and that wouldn't be such a good idea.
              So long as he's issuing them for use at work and keeping them at work there would be zero problem with him doing that. It would be no different than a security company handing guards firearms for their shift. Thus, the employee shows up, gets their firearm issued, carries while at work, then turns it in when their shift is over. No big issue there.
              The problem would be if he issues them for use 24/7. Then he might run into a wreck.

He should have vetted this idea ahead of time with his employees, who are almost certainly being approached by Left-wing activists as we speak; with offers of bribe money to get them to quit and bad-mouth the man that came up with this idea. They could even be talked into suing him for creating a "hostile work environment" for enough $$$.

Before you do something like this, you need to be sure of your people.
              The only way he could really get hit here is if he fires an employee for refusing to carry as part of employment. If he's paying for their training and the firearm to be used as part of the job then the Left / anti gun people are going to have a very difficult time creating some sort of expensive stink over this.

Comment

There's nothing illegal about gifting someone a firearm. There's also nothing unusual about having to carry a gun as a condition of employment. I've been carrying daily on the job for the last 7 years. It's actually a PITA.

Comment

As an employer, that can be a condition for employment.
                  Hi TAG

Yes he can stipulate that for new employee's but for those already in his employ that would necessitate a change in their contract(s), which may well trigger compensation payments if employee's decided not too carry and he asked them too leave.

Regards

Andy H
                  "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by Andy H View Post
                    Hi TAG

Yes he can stipulate that for new employee's but for those already in his employ that would necessitate a change in their contract(s), which may well trigger compensation payments if employee's decided not too carry and he asked them too leave.

Regards

Andy H
                    Contract?

Its so cute when you try to pretend you understand the USA.
                    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                      Contract?

Its so cute when you try to pretend you understand the USA.
                      Its so cute when you try to be intelligent

Well unless you live in a different US to me (when I'm there), then my contracts with various clients in the US are real & binding.

Regards

Andy H
                      "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Georgia is a Right to Work State......I seriously doubt that there are binding Employee Contracts. All that would need to be done is a change to the employee handbook and a reasonable notice of that change.
                        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                          Georgia is a Right to Work State......I seriously doubt that there are binding Employee Contracts. All that would need to be done is a change to the employee handbook and a reasonable notice of that change.
                          Hi

Thanks for the information

Regards

Andy H

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                            Pretty much. The employer says "Everybody's going to get a concealed firearms permit and training along with being given a gun..."
                            Given a couple weeks notice that's happening is all that's required. It's simply a new condition for the job. No different than if the employer said "Everybody's going to get training on using CAD software and a new computer..."

What's messing people up here is that the employer wants to give employees firearms. Firearms are legally just a tool and providing training for that tool is normally what employers do.

Comment

Pretty much. The employer says "Everybody's going to get a concealed firearms permit and training along with being given a gun..."
                              Given a couple weeks notice that's happening is all that's required. It's simply a new condition for the job. No different than if the employer said "Everybody's going to get training on using CAD software and a new computer..."

What's messing people up here is that the employer wants to give employees firearms. Firearms are legally just a tool and providing training for that tool is normally what employers do.
                              Hi TAG

I get your larger premise here, but this tool isn't essential to doing your work for an insurance company! I know in this instance all the employees have agreed to the offer but lets suppose some of them said no.
                              I'm not a lawyer or legal expert but I can't imagine that the employees wouldn't have some protection or redress against their employer if he then fired them!

Regards

Andy H

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X