Ah, These Canadians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
    Meanwhile, please continue to 'come on down' and shop, we appreciate the cash flow exchange! And glad to provide the selection and bargains your economy can't.
    How's that going now with the current exchange rate? We are actually seeing Americans crossing the border to buy inexpensive Canadian goods now that the exchange rate between USD and CAD is so favourable to the USD.

http://business.financialpost.com/ne...with-americans

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle23546645/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...llar-1.2936138

Not to let facts get in the way of an irrational diatribe, but the direction of the flow of cross border shopping depends mostly on the exchange rate.

Comment

T

I'm curious if the numbers come close to match?
      There's a subtext of ethics you may have missed.
      The overall number of Americans living in Canada and the number of Canadians living in the US are close to the same, around a million.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianE View Post
        How's that going now with the current exchange rate? We are actually seeing Americans crossing the border to buy inexpensive Canadian goods now that the exchange rate between USD and CAD is so favourable to the USD.

http://business.financialpost.com/ne...with-americans

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle23546645/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...llar-1.2936138

Not to let facts get in the way of an irrational diatribe, but the direction of the flow of cross border shopping depends mostly on the exchange rate.
        While it has dropped some compared to a year or more ago, I still see a lot of Canadian license plates at the local Fred Meyer where I stop and shop a couple times a week and it is less than 20 miles from the B.C. border. Same at local Costco.

BTW, "Not to let facts get in the way of an irrational diatribe..." began with the absurd video in the OP, so-called levity/humor/satire.
        TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

While it has dropped some compared to a year or more ago, I still see a lot of Canadian license plates at the local Fred Meyer where I stop and shop a couple times a week and it is less than 20 miles from the B.C. border. Same at local Costco.

BTW, "Not to let facts get in the way of an irrational diatribe..." began with the absurd video in the OP, so-called levity/humor/satire.
          Can you take time and do a Duh for us? Costco is an international company with locations in CANADA.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
            Can you take time and do a Duh for us? Costco is an international company with locations in CANADA.
            Costco in Canada sells Canadian goods at Canadian prices. Come over here and I'll give you a tour of the parking lot, especially on weekends, and let you tally the Canadian license plates at our stateside Costco.

Some of you are doing that hyperbolic "libtard' thyng here where reality and facts if unpleasant are taken as "insult" or similar. Given smalerl size of population in Canada compared to the USA, wouldn't expect the economy and consumer choice in Canada to match that in USA (baring some adjustments on Canadian import/export regs, VAT, etc.)

If we could pick up Canada and plop it down elsewhere in the world, whom would they rather have as their sole neighbor and share a border with?
            Congo?
            Russia?
            Mexico?
            UK?
            ???

Comment

If we could pick up Canada and plop it down elsewhere in the world, whom would they rather have as their sole neighbor and share a border with?
              That is really funny. Change it around. Who would you have as our neighbor other than CANADA? No other country is as much like us except perhaps the Aussies. We should be thankful and celebrate that relationship each and everyday. God, we could have Russia or China as neighbors. For me I'll gladly say that I'm a friend of Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post
                The overall number of Americans living in Canada and the number of Canadians living in the US are close to the same, around a million.
                Those #s mean little considering the large difference in populations.

Comment

That is really funny. Change it around. Who would you have as our neighbor other than CANADA? No other country is as much like us except perhaps the Aussies. We should be thankful and celebrate that relationship each and everyday. God, we could have Russia or China as neighbors. For me I'll gladly say that I'm a friend of Canada.
                  I totally agree! My wife is from Canada and my in-laws are wonderful folk.
                  "A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaOne View Post
                    So, my wife is Canadian. We live in Canada right now. So my neighbor sends the following to me in an email.

I have to admit, it did make me laugh!
                    My wife showed me this as well. I did get a laugh too! However, just in case they get to smug over making fun of our politicians, I have two words for them, Rob Ford.
                    "A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

I see a lot trying to put down Canada and Canadians. People that have to put down others to feel superior usually come from a weak personality that cannot except to be criticized in any manner.

Comment

I see a lot trying to put down Canada and Canadians. People that have to put down others to feel superior usually come from a weak personality that cannot except to be criticized in any manner.
                        I don't consider post #2 of this thread, my initial response, as "... trying to put down Canada ...", just some return "levity" for what was in the video of the OP, which BTW sounds a bit like a Canadian of "weak personality" trying to put down the USA.

I like having Canada as a neighbor, but they are doing as well as they are, in some ways, because they have us and our economy close to hand. The point of the question.

I think some people are reading more into what's posted than literally said.

Comment

Thanks John, I have to say that there is no other country I would rather be neighbours with, I'll gladly say that I'm a friend of the United States.
                          Last edited by Sparlingo; 02 Mar 16, 20:20.

Comment

Those #s mean little considering the large difference in populations.
                            Not in the context of the question which was asked: "I'm curious if the numbers come close to match?" So the dollars received from spousal benefits (even though they didn't pay in) of American spouses of Canadians living in Canada is probably approximately the same as Canadian spouses of Americans living in America. It's probably a wash.

Comment

If Canada is so much better than the USA, please take more of the load of illegal immigration coming into here. You could start by doing a better job of reducing the numbers coming across your border.

Canada is in a unique and sheltered position, having the USA as a buffer and a ready sources of consumer goods. Canada wouldn't be doing so great if it was suddenly plopped down in the middle of Africa, or Asia, etc.

If we're supposed to find levity in a snarky and denigrative fat boy being smug "neighbor" to the North, you should be able to find the levity of shoppers streaming down here and back with their cars bulging with gallons of milk and petro. No such thing as a free lunch and your "free" healthcare seems to have costs in other parts of your consumer's markets/economy.

In case you hadn't notice, we've a clown for seven plus years as POTUS whom garners little respect or admiration among foreign nations, except those he's been servile to. I've no high regard for Trump either, but he's a notch better than the quisling BHO.

If you can't take it, don't dish it.
                              Agreed, Bobo the Clown is one of the worst presidents in US history. Have you lived north of the border? It's obvious you haven't. Thus, your post is speculative at best. I live in both the US and in Canada. We have a home in California and one in British Columbia. I don't have to rely on others to state the facts!
                              We Americans have been dishing it out (laughing) for so long at our northern neighbours. It's bloody embarrassing!
                              I was in Bend Oregon last week at an outdoors trade show for fishing and hunting guides, firearms, off road vehicles etc..
                              I asked one of the Canadian guides if they were booking lots of hunting trips and I mentioned that I was an American living up there. He said they almost fully booked each hunt. He had a question for me. He said he didn't follow our politics but he wanted to know why so many Americans were asking him what they had to do to be able to move to Canada because of the state of our country. I tried my best to help him understand. Other Canadian services there said the same thing. What does that tell you?
                              If you couldn't laugh, too bad for you. They move south for the same reason we move north. The fact that some get upset by a 2 minute video is ludicrous and immature.
                              We laugh at them and all our late night talk shows make fun of them. They aren't crying the blues. If you don't like it, pack up your toys and go home just like a spoiled child does when they don't get their way. You don't need to pay any attention to this thread if you don't like it!
                              "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
                              - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

The fact that some get upset by a 2 minute video is ludicrous and immature.
                                You should except the crowd your dealing with.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X