Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trumps Vietnam deferments

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trumps Vietnam deferments

    Hi

    Will Trumps deferments from seeing service in Vietnam become a force in the upcoming S.Carolina primary, as around 28% of the state have some form of current or past attachment to the military?

    Regards

    Andy H
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

    "I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

  • #2
    Nnaa he is running on the GOP ticket. What once was an issue only counts if they are running against a Dem then all gloves are off ie Clinton and Obama. GW was even ok regardless that that is time spent in the NG is questionable.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

    Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

    youre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

    Comment


    • #3
      Not particularly. This is really a canard against any candidate, Democrat or Republican. The draft is largely indiscriminate with who gets called up. Anywhere from 30 to 50% of those "drafted" are rejected for a vast number of reasons. Deferments were handed out likewise for a wide variety of reasons.

      So, unless you can clearly show draft dodging or some sort of malingering / desertion on the part of a candidate this really isn't going to have some affect on their campaign.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
        Not particularly. This is really a canard against any candidate, Democrat or Republican. The draft is largely indiscriminate with who gets called up. Anywhere from 30 to 50% of those "drafted" are rejected for a vast number of reasons. Deferments were handed out likewise for a wide variety of reasons.

        So, unless you can clearly show draft dodging or some sort of malingering / desertion on the part of a candidate this really isn't going to have some affect on their campaign.
        Hi Terry

        I don't disagree with your posts contents, but were all aware that the slinging of mud in the hope that some either sticks or leaves a stain is rather rife in politics.

        Regards

        Andy H
        "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

        "I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

        Comment


        • #5
          I think Half Pint had a good point. It only counts if you're not a Republican.
          dit: Lirelou

          Phong trần mi một lưỡi gươm, Những loi gi o ti cơm s g!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Andy H View Post
            Hi Terry

            I don't disagree with your posts contents, but were all aware that the slinging of mud in the hope that some either sticks or leaves a stain is rather rife in politics.

            Regards

            Andy H
            Of course. Look at the massive crap, even outright lies thrown at GW Bush. Remember the forged documents CBS / Dan Rather tried to pin on him?

            Kerry weathered his questionable military service and involvement in the Winter Soldier / VVAW.

            Clinton's ROTC dodge of the draft didn't finish him. Sure, its one more sleazy thing from a sleaze ball, but it didn't cripple his getting elected.

            It's the phony wantabes, like Dukakis (remember his standing in the tank hatch) or ones that clearly lie about their service that get in a train wreck on military service and veteran status.

            Hillary's "I would have joined the Marines" thing is going to get more play once the primaries are over. It's just one more thing her opponent (assuming she's the nominee) has to show she's an outright liar. That will be damaging. Maybe not so much crippling on its own, but it piles up with all the other stuff she's going to get hit with.

            One thing's certain. Today in the electronics age a smear campaign better be based mostly on facts and evidence because it's going to get sniffed out as a lie almost immediately. Going back to the GW Bush forgeries... In the 1970's or 80's that would have taken weeks, possibly months to come to light and Bush would have been damaged by the deception.
            In the electronics age it took less than 72 hours to have document experts around the planet saying they were forgeries and CBS had to fall on a sword over their use. Instead of damaging Bush it made CBS, and those supporting Democrats look like manipulative, duplicitous, evil people and helped him. That's the shift. The dirt must contain a good percentage of actual dirt or it's not going to stick and could potentially damage those who released it.

            Comment


            • #7
              No...no more than Clinton's refusal to serve or Lil' Bush's desertion.

              Comment


              • #8
                I heard a Vietnam vet say that the only real disappointment he had with the war was that Billy Clinton's name wasn't on the wall.
                My worst jump story:
                My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                No lie.

                ~
                "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                -2 Commando Jumpmaster

                Comment


                • #9
                  Politicians willing to risk their privileged butts are rare, unfortunately.

                  I'm a Heinlein fan myself...no public jobs except for veterans.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I don't think its a major issue, especially since no else served. That might be the sadder part of our choices for President - none of them has served, yet they feel qualified to be the Commander In Chief.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

                      One thing's certain. Today in the electronics age a smear campaign better be based mostly on facts and evidence because it's going to get sniffed out as a lie almost immediately.
                      Hi Terry

                      Again I agree but given the almost untamed nature and number of electronic 'news outlets' that now exist and more importantly the popn get their news from, its a real danger that some of these lies become truths & facts to the listeners of the multitude.

                      Whilst the alphabet news channels and FNC have their detractors, at least there's an element of governance over what they send out. Sadly the same can't be said for the vast majority of them, which re-hash/re-tell a story from the biggies and at an often extreme POV on some rather benign events.

                      Regards

                      Andy H
                      "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

                      "I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I predict that Donald Trump having had a student deferment wont count for much. At least he doesnt have a military record to be trampled on. Remember George W. Bush and John Kerry and the trashings for their military experience; and for lesser offices, Max Cleland and Tammy Duckworth have been accused of cowardice and taking advantage of being a wounded warrior. I actually think that a military experience can be more of a disadvantage than just a deferment for a politician.
                        Homo homini lupus

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
                          I don't think its a major issue, especially since no else served. That might be the sadder part of our choices for President - none of them has served, yet they feel qualified to be the Commander In Chief.
                          I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

                          If General Colin Powell enters, he automatically gets my vote.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Jannie View Post
                            I predict that Donald Trump having had a student deferment wont count for much. At least he doesnt have a military record to be trampled on. Remember George W. Bush and John Kerry and the trashings for their military experience; and for lesser offices, Max Cleland and Tammy Duckworth have been accused of cowardice and taking advantage of being a wounded warrior. I actually think that a military experience can be more of a disadvantage than just a deferment for a politician.
                            I never could understand the Bush trashing, the Kerry trashing was another story. Besides, Kerry kind of trashed himself during those BS hearings.
                            My worst jump story:
                            My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                            As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                            No lie.

                            ~
                            "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by BKnight3 View Post
                              I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

                              If General Colin Powell enters, he automatically gets my vote.
                              Oh, Lord.
                              My worst jump story:
                              My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                              As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                              No lie.

                              ~
                              "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X