Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justice Department suing Ferguson over deal, attorney general says

Anyone surprised by this?

The U.S. Justice Department is filing a lawsuit against the city of Ferguson, Missouri, Attorney General Loretta Lynch said Wednesday. The lawsuit alleges a pattern and practice of unconstitutional police conduct in the city.

Federal authorities had no other choice but to file a lawsuit against the city after the Ferguson City Council voted to change the terms of a consent decree, Lynch said.

"We intend to aggressively prosecute this case," she told reporters, "and we intend to prevail."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/09/us/fer...ote/index.html
    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

City lawyers/manager negotiated a deal with DOJ. City council later decided not to go along. What do you expect?
    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
    “To talk of many things:
    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
    Of cabbages—and kings—
    And why the sea is boiling hot—
    And whether pigs have wings.”
    ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

I guess it isn't enough that the city council got a say too and it was different from what the liars...err, lawyers and manager agreed to.

But, I can see the DoJ involved in this irrelevance rather than doing something actually in the interests of Justice.

Comment

Not surprised, but I echo TAG's thought on this. The appearance of action without doing a damned thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
          City lawyers/manager negotiated a deal with DOJ. City council later decided not to go along. What do you expect?
          Again:

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
          Anyone surprised by this?

I obviously was not surprised...
          "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

The City Council wanted amendments, which is a natural course for nearly all agreements after each side actually look at the fine print. If it was such a cut and dry case, why the F did it require City Council approval?

It is another case of the Obama administration wanting to muscle over everyone - like that treaty with Iran that they had no power to make. His pen and phone bullshit is becoming more ridiculous by the day. In the old days, the people would destroy all images and memories of tyrants such as he once power is no longer wielded.

The amendments seem reasonable. It is mostly focused on cost, which is what any elected official is supposed to concentrate on and it even added minority partition goals which is what the morons in the DoJ and BLM wanted, right?

• That it contains no mandate for the payment of additional salary to police or other city employees.
            • That it contains no mandate for staffing at the city's jail.
            • That the deadlines set forth are extended.
            • That the terms do not apply to other agencies that take over services currently provided by the city.
            • That a provision for local preference in contractors and consultants is included.
            • That goals for minority and women participation in consulting, oversight and third-party services are included.
            • That monitoring fee caps are changed to $1 million over the first five years and no more than $250,000 in any single year.

Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Ferguson should probably tell the DOJ to either butt the hell out or fund these changes themselves. Better yet, have the black community pay the city back for the destruction they caused, the overtime they caused, for the disruption in schools, public services and negative publicity.
              ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
              IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

What I'm reading is that these changes could cost ten million over three years, for a city with a fourteen million dollar annual budget, and a two million dollar deficit.

One option the city is already considering is simply dissolving the local government, which means no changes will be made.

It boils down to money. The city cannot afford what DoJ is ordering.

Knowles said the seven amendments were formulated after the analysis showed the deal was so expensive it could lead to dissolution of Ferguson. The analysis suggested that the first-year cost of the agreement would be $2.2 million to $3.7 million, with second- and third-year costs between $1.8 million and $3 million in each year.

Ferguson has an operating budget of $14.5 million and already faces a $2.8 million deficit. Voters will be asked to approve two tax hikes in April, but approval of both would still leave the city short.

A big part of the cost was the requirement that Ferguson raise police salaries to attract better candidates, including more minority officers. Removal of the pay-raise clause was among the seven amendments.
                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Yeah, THIS is soooo important.

Meanwhile, Hillary won't be indicted, ever.
                  Count on it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                    Yeah, THIS is soooo important.

Meanwhile, Hillary won't be indicted, ever.
                    Count on it.
                    Hillary would be facing criminal charges.

The Ferguson situation is a civil case.

Two completely different systems of law.
                    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Given that Ferguson was using the municipal court system to balance the city budget and that practice has been scaled back. I would say that Ferguson is headed to Bankruptcy Court in the not too distant future.

Comment

Originally posted by tcox View Post
                        Given that Ferguson was using the municipal court system to balance the city budget and that practice has been scaled back. I would say that Ferguson is headed to Bankruptcy Court in the not too distant future.
                        Yup. Along with termination of local emergency services.

But its for a good cause.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                          Yup. Along with termination of local emergency services.

But its for a good cause.
                          Let them do it, and lay everything that follows at the DOJ's door. The older I get, the angrier I get about anything that isn't economically sustainable. I teach special education, and I have yet to see a school district that has the funding to comply with federal law/civil rights laws. I know it will never happen, but it would be a sight to see everyone lay everything at the DOJ's feet that couldn't be funded locally.

Comment

Originally posted by tcox View Post
                            That'd be where I'd go as part of that town's leadership. Right after dissolving the police, fire, and other public services. Let the county sheriff handle law enforcement. Maybe get a by subscription private company in to handle firefighting like Rural-Metro. Sell the water and sewer services off to a private provider.

As the cost of these things goes up, particularly those that are now faced with lots of deadbeats and what-it-free types, the DoJ gets shafted into trying to unravel a huge mess they created. If it follows past precedence, the DoJ after a few years will wash their hands of the whole thing and everything will return to the way it previously was only Ferguson will be considerably poorer and less populated as a result.

Comment

If Ferguson can't afford the changes, how can they afford the lawsuit?

Don't Bobo and Loretta realize they'll only be hurting their own people?
                              ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X