Slavery Still Exists In Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slavery Still Exists In Texas

We've been discussing slavery for a few days elsewhere, so I thought I would bring this to your attention: slavery still goes on this country.

Federal authorities said Tuesday a Texas couple forced a Nigerian woman to work for them without pay during a two-year period in which she was physically and verbally abused, made to work nearly 20 hours per day and told to sleep on the floor.
    The 38-year-old nanny, whose name wasn’t revealed in the criminal complaint, told investigators she was promised $100* per month to work at the home in Cinco Ranch but was never paid. Chudy and Sandra Nsobundu allegedly held the woman hostage, taking away her passport so she was unable to leave the country.
    "She regularly endured physical and verbal abuse and was not treated like a human being," the criminal complaint said.
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/02/10...ur-shifts.html

*Note the alleged salary offer - well below minimum wage at a mere $3.00 per day.

A U.S. judge ordered the immediate deportation on Tuesday of a Qatar military officer and his wife after they were accused of holding two female servants in slave-like conditions in their upscale San Antonio home. Hassan al-Homoud, 46, who received military training at San Antonio's Camp Bullis, and his wife, Zainab al-Hosani, a citizen of the United Arab Emirates, pleaded guilty to federal charges in December.

U.S. District Judge Orlando Garcia said he had hoped to hand down a harsher sentence than deportation in the case, since engaging in forced labor is a crime punishable by up to 10 years in prison.
    But a plea agreement was offered to the couple because the servants - one from Bangladesh and the other from Indonesia - refused to testify against them.
    Homoud pleaded guilty in December to visa fraud while his wife pleaded guilty to knowing that a felony was taking place and failing to report it. The couple also agreed to pay $60,000 restitution to each of their victims.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/qat.../10/id/713584/

Another case...

Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Yeah...and another instance of a grave miscarriage of justice.

Comment

It is not surprising. I mean it is wrong and shpuld be stoped. But i am not shocked one bit.
        you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Nothing new. This sort of isolated case comes up from time to time in the US. About a decade ago it was a Philippine couple who had were keeping a maid in their basement. None of the three were US citizens. He was here on a green card as a physician's assistant if I recall correctly.

Just another example of how recent émigrés from parts of the world where this sort of $H!+ is tolerated, bring their FU'd values to the US and expect the US to honor those.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewza View Post
            It is not surprising. I mean it is wrong and shpuld be stoped. But i am not shocked one bit.
            Maybe you should be.

Comment

Qatar, P.I. .... we really need to cut the immigration, and keep out people who think slavery is a good idea.
              Among all the other bad ideas people keep trying to bring here.

Comment

Human trafficking is more prevalent worldwide today than it was in 1860.

Its certainly nothing new; its so prevalent that for years every Texas peace officer had been required to receive specialized training.

I expect that no city/town in the USA over 50k is free of it, and no town over 10k has not experienced it on occasion.
                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

Its certainly nothing new; its so prevalent that for years every Texas peace officer had been required to receive specialized training.

I expect that no city/town in the USA over 50k is free of it, and no town over 10k has not experienced it on occasion.
                  And yet it continues. "Knowing about it" isn't a solution.

Comment

But not blatant and not legal as it was in Texas in 1860
                    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                      But not blatant and not legal as it was in Texas in 1860
                      Or in India until 1947...an entire nation enslaved.
                      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Or in India until 1947...an entire nation enslaved.
                        Good point
                        We hunt the hunters

Comment

For the umpteenth time, a large scale factory dairy farm in the Thumb, has been busted for using illegals living under slave conditions to provide labor for the farm. The owner, a Dutch immigrant, may have overstayed his visa and has been arrested.
                          “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Maybe you should be.
                            It will be great when i can ginaly be shocked about slavery and human trafficking. But i doubt that day will come. I all so feel that just like with most crimes thr vast majority are un reported. Sure it is probaly a 1 in a 100 000 or maybe 1 in 1000 000 house holds that has some form of slavery. But most cases are probably never reported.
                            you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Last year at this time on a trip I saw a sign in three languages in a rest area rest room about females getting help if they are being abducted and/or used as sex slaves. Now I am seeing those types of signs here in our county in public rest rooms.

I suspect sex slavery is way more common than ordinary labor slavery and probably way more heinous.
                              Homo homini lupus

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X