Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I "checked my privilege". I'm owed some.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I "checked my privilege". I'm owed some.

These days the grievance industry is running at full steam and we have two popular sentiments in the form of "white privilege" and the term "check your privilege". With the rush to tally up grudges and demand reparations, I decided to break out my calculator and see how much I'm owed. Yes, owed. After tallying up the privilege of everyone else throughout history I wound up coming out ahead.

I come from northern European stock. My first historically recorded case of oppression came from the Roman Empire. My Celtic and Germanic ancestors were mistreated and enslaved at the hands of the Romans and there was a heavy level of Latin Privilege that affected my ancestor's ability to be prosperous.

Italy: Owes me for 1,000 years of Latin Privilege and enslavement.

As we move into the history of England my Celtic and Saxon stocks would also face injustice. For one there were the damned Vikings but as I have Scandinavian ancestors I can't very well pay reparations to myself so we'll overlook that one. But William the Conqueror invaded England and historians say that this invasion has had economic repercussions that can be felt to this day.

France: Owes me for 1,000 years of Norman Privilege.

#saxonlivesmatter

Income Inequality: I have taken note of the fact that for much of human history some of the most valuable commodities in the world were spices. Northern Europeans didn't have much of this. Our major resources like coal and timber just weren't in demand and we often had to pay for spice in gold since we didn't have anything else of value. Asian civilizations spent hundreds of year developing great levels of wealth because of the value of spices whereas Northern Europe spent much of history in obscurity.

In the interests of fairness and income equality I have decided to write off the Opium Wars and colonialism as Europeans simply moving in to get their fair share. We can't have advantaged people hoarding wealth so this counts as income redistribution. China and India just needed to check their Asian Privilege and give white people their fair share. (And if any of my Indian friends and coworkers are reading this, please understand I am being sarcastic for the purpose of making a point. )

Land Dispute: Latinos often complain about their land being stolen from them during the Mexican Cession. Since we are both the descendants of imperial powers I will overlook the fact that they themselves stole it from the Native Americans. Instead I will simply analyze privilege. Spain and Portugal were the first ones into the new world and it didn't take them long to grab a huge percentage of the land. While England and France had limited colonial influence they held much of the continents, including the very best parts of them, and we pulling gold out of the ground by the galleon-load. This created over a century of Latino Privilege that England and France struggled to keep up with. Therefore in the interests of fairness and income equality I have written off Francis Drake as white people getting their fair share and for the moment we'll just hang onto the Southwest for all those years of Latino Privilege as well.

We're just leveling the financial playing field.

Now that I have tallied everything up I am prepared to address the grievances of Native Americans and African Americans. By my tally Native Americans and African Americans are owed roughly 500 years of grievance money for the depredations inflicted upon them by imperialism, slaveholding, and racism. If some of them would like to contact me we can begin adjusting the grievance shares. I've got 2,000 years worth of grievance shares and as soon as France and Italy pay out I can cut them in for the 500 years worth I owe them. Once I've settled out at 500 years grievance money each that still leaves me with 1,000 years grievance money I am still owed. If a Frenchman and an Italian would care to step forward we can get the paperwork started.

Or, you know, we could stop being pissed off about things that happened many years before we were born.

I'll let you all decide which.
    Last edited by Pirateship1982; 04 Feb 16, 19:44.
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

This is terribly distasteful and shows a lack of understanding of the issue. You don't want to understand it though, which is your own right, but this smug attempt at humor doesn't get anyone anywhere.

For the record, the issue isn't about what happened hundreds of years ago, the issue is about what's still happening today.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
      the issue is about what's still happening today.
      Good point, he forgot to add in affirmative action.
      "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
        These days the grievance industry is running at full steam and we have two popular sentiments in the form of "white privilege" and the term "check your privilege". With the rush to tally up grudges and demand reparations, I decided to break out my calculator and see how much I'm owed. Yes, owed. After tallying up the privilege of everyone else throughout history I wound up coming out ahead.

I come from northern European stock. My first historically recorded case of oppression came from the Roman Empire. My Celtic and Germanic ancestors were mistreated and enslaved at the hands of the Romans and there was a heavy level of Latin Privilege that affected my ancestor's ability to be prosperous.

Italy: Owes me for 1,000 years of Latin Privilege and enslavement.

As we move into the history of England my Celtic and Saxon stocks would also face injustice. For one there were the damned Vikings but as I have Scandinavian ancestors I can't very well pay reparations to myself so we'll overlook that one. But William the Conqueror invaded England and historians say that this invasion has had economic repercussions that can be felt to this day.

France: Owes me for 1,000 years of Norman Privilege.

#saxonlivesmatter

Income Inequality: I have taken note of the fact that for much of human history some of the most valuable commodities in the world were spices. Northern Europeans didn't have much of this. Our major resources like coal and timber just weren't in demand and we often had to pay for spice in gold since we didn't have anything else of value. Asian civilizations spent hundreds of year developing great levels of wealth because of the value of spices whereas Northern Europe spent much of history in obscurity.

In the interests of fairness and income equality I have decided to write off the Opium Wars and colonialism as Europeans simply moving in to get their fair share. We can't have advantaged people hoarding wealth so this counts as income redistribution. China and India just needed to check their Asian Privilege and give white people their fair share. (And if any of my Indian friends and coworkers are reading this, please understand I am being sarcastic for the purpose of making a point. )

Land Dispute: Latinos often complain about their land being stolen from them during the Mexican Cession. Since we are both the descendants of imperial powers I will overlook the fact that they themselves stole it from the Native Americans. Instead I will simply analyze privilege. Spain and Portugal were the first ones into the new world and it didn't take them long to grab a huge percentage of the land. While England and France had limited colonial influence they held much of the continents, including the very best parts of them, and we pulling gold out of the ground by the galleon-load. This created over a century of Latino Privilege that England and France struggled to keep up with. Therefore in the interests of fairness and income equality I have written off Francis Drake as white people getting their fair share and for the moment we'll just hang onto the Southwest for all those years of Latino Privilege as well.

We're just leveling the financial playing field.

Now that I have tallied everything up I am prepared to address the grievances of Native Americans and African Americans. By my tally Native Americans and African Americans are owed roughly 500 years of grievance money for the depredations inflicted upon them by imperialism, slaveholding, and racism. If some of them would like to contact me we can begin adjusting the grievance shares. I've got 2,000 years worth of grievance shares and as soon as France and Italy pay out I can cut them in for the 500 years worth I owe them. Once I've settled out at 500 years grievance money each that still leaves me with 1,000 years grievance money I am still owed. If a Frenchman and an Italian would care to step forward we can get the paperwork started.

Or, you know, we could stop being pissed off about things that happened many years before we were born.

I'll let you all decide which.
        I'm going to steal that for Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
          This is terribly distasteful and shows a lack of understanding of the issue. You don't want to understand it though, which is your own right, but this smug attempt at humor doesn't get anyone anywhere.

For the record, the issue isn't about what happened hundreds of years ago, the issue is about what's still happening today.
          What is there to understand? I didn't sell anyone in to slavery. I haven't kept slaves (though my younger brothers and sister sometimes felt like slaves growing up), I'm not keeping anyone down, I'm not paying anyone less than fair market value for their labor, I didn't get a million dollars for being white (not that I have a million dollars), I didn't steal anyone's land, I didn't get a college degree for free just because I'm white, blah blah blah.

People want to bitch about what is going on now, they can turn themselves in to a mirror to see part of the problem. Someone in Illinois wants to cry about police brutality, dont look at me in Utah as if I'm part of their problem. Someone wants to moan and wail about the Palestinian plight in Gaza, they can keep it local because I still don't give two crap, nor am I to blame for their situation.

Not everything in this world requires phd level of understanding or Christlike levels of compassion.

Comment

The romans tended to assimilate the areas they invaded and they to where opressed for years. So i can remove that 1000 years.

The english then invaded france anf inflicted untold rconmic problems. So there goes that 1000 years.
            you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

There's an old Finnish saying of "being born with a golden spoon in your mouth(or up your ass, don't ask me why)". Being born "white" is the equivalent of this. That is to say you will have the best possible chances in life to do what you want to do.

It's not because of the skin color that the situation is this, but statistically speaking if your skin color is white then you are most likely better off from the get go than if your skin color is anything else. Mostly though, this means you are born in western countries.

If you were born in USA to a WASP family and think that you have had to struggle in life, or that you started from the same "position", just as much as someone who was born in N. Korea, Somalia, Afghanistan etc. then you're an idiot.

Check your privileges though? I don't have any.
              Wisdom is personal

Comment

Balls.

In Sydney where I grew up, it was "You live 'where'?

Oh, thanks for coming in.

You had no hope of getting the better type of job if you lived beyond a certain boundary or in a particular grouping of suburbs.

Or when my parents were growing up:

"Catholics need not apply".

(it was even more apparent in their parents time)

My parents should have cashed in their entitlement vouchers long ago.
                "It's like shooting rats in a barrel."
                "You'll be in a barrel if you don't watch out for the fighters!"

"Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
                ó Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post
                  If you were born in USA to a WASP family and think that you have had to struggle in life, or that you started from the same "position", just as much as someone who was born in N. Korea, Somalia, Afghanistan etc. then you're an idiot.
                  No I know that compared to them I have a privileged position. But compared to everyone that I grew up with and went to school (any of the schools) with I didnít. Anyone in the U.S. can secede the biggest drawback that anyone is likely to experience is being told by authority figures that they are destined to fail because the system is stacked against them.
                  Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Tsar View Post
                    Anyone in the U.S. can secede the biggest drawback that anyone is likely to experience is being told by authority figures that they are destined to fail because the system is stacked against them.
                    The system is always stacked against you, unless you are part of it.
                    Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post
                      The system is always stacked against you, unless you are part of it.
                      Thatís a pessimistic view of the world. Come to America you can start a business and get to the top like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates.
                      Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Karri,

If my European Ancestors (Scots, Irish, and a twist of English) managed to pull off 'civilization and the trappings and benefits thereof' over the 1200 or so years from the fall of Rome to their coming to America, that's called an "Earned Privilege". It was earned by blood, sweat, tears, and often with much kicking and screaming of petty rulers and even a hugely overpowered Catholic Church at times.

By the same vein, my ancestors that came to America managed to carve out lives in the wilderness, turn forest into farmland (I have the map showing its progress according to period surveyors), and bring civilization and the trappings thereof to a land in large part untamed, that's also "Earned Privilege".....it was done on our backs, not slaves (and I have the records to prove that as well.....a nice little trunk of documents accidentally handed down to my mother).

Everyone's got 24 hours in a day. And every people has had exactly the same amount of time to pull themselves up by the bootstraps and make something happen as my people have.

The Two Koreas show what the Penninsula could be....and what it also could be, depending on which direction the people took. That's their problem, not mine. My people were invaded about as often as Korea was.....and we managed to pull it off.

The Muslim Lands were at the pinnacle of civilization in the 14th Century.....an the Crusades were little more than a sideshow in a rather religiously important backwater. It's not my people's fault that the Arab peoples are the equivalent of the jock that "Peaked in High School".

Sub Saharan Africa as a Continent was left to its own devices for Centuries, with only occasional slave raids by North African and Egyptian peoples. It's not my civilization's fault that they didn't manage to pull themselves up beyond the Iron Age....the rest of the world did.

When you start to think about it, the list of civilizations that are 'owed' anything at all get very very small. Ethiopia, ok the Italians pretty well screwed them over. There are a few others. But when you look at the totality of history there is no 'Vast White Conspiracy' to improve "White Privilege" at the expense of others. When it comes down to it, survival of the fittest is a b*tch. Civilizations that advanced have endured, and those that stagnated in early phases were conquered or simply passed by. Every race started with an equal opportunity......those civilizations that did.....did.....those that did not....lost out.

Are there 'better starting positions' today? Sure. Are those because any one race is 'privileged'? Nope. Are they due to the ancestors of those in good starting positions putting in the blood, sweat, and tears to ensure that their posterity would have an improved chance to prosper? Yep. Isn't that everyone's goal after all.....that their kids will be better off than they were?

It's not "Privilege" if it's Earned.
                        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                          Shh don't bring personal responsibility into this. You'll make the "underprivileged" people mad.

While we're on the subject I'm probably owed some reparations too actually. The US government illegally forced my great grandfathers brewery out of business during the WWI "Freedom Cabbage" hysteria so I'm owed a good 100 years worth of beer empire profits in reparations. Where's my justice!?
                          "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Thatís a pessimistic view of the world. Come to America you can start a business and get to the top like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates.
                            You can start a business anywhere in the world and get to the top...as long as you are part of the system. What exactly did Steve Jobs and Bill Gates do that would prove otherwise?

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                            It's a privilege if you didn't earn it. Or what, you earned it by being born? By your logic every dictator in the world isn't privileged either...or anyone for that matter.

Originally posted by frisco17 View Post
                            Shh don't bring personal responsibility into this. You'll make the "underprivileged" people mad.

This combines with the above. You think you're taking personal responsibility when it's your parents, grandparents, ancestors etc that have built everything you have today. Yeah, I am sure they had personal responsibility, but that doesn't mean you do. So often people confuse doing good with being responsible, being right and so forth.
                            Last edited by Karri; 05 Feb 16, 07:19.
                            Wisdom is personal

Comment

We should never forget that for each Jobs or Gates who succeded, there are thousands who didn't.
                              There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X