Now deeply Christian, Cruz's religion once wasn't so obvious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now deeply Christian, Cruz's religion once wasn't so obvious

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Ted Cruz sometimes sounds more like a preacher than a presidential candidate, praising the transformative love of Jesus Christ and promising to defend religious liberty. But the Texas senator rarely evokes the biblical tenet of tithing, the mandate that 10 percent of possessions be donated to God.

That's because Cruz doesn't tithe. He and his wife donated less than 1 percent of their income to charity and nothing to churches, including to their own in Houston, according to tax returns from 2006 to 2010, the most recent Cruz has released.

His campaign declined requests from The Associated Press to provide recent tax returns or otherwise demonstrate donations since 2010. Cruz has said he and his wife were more focused on using their seven-figure annual income to build a financial foundation for their family.

Being a past charitable cheapskate provides a glimpse of who Cruz was before running for president, when he was known more as a fierce fiscal conservative than a devout Southern Baptist. Cruz's religious side similarly didn't dominate his 2012 run for Senate in Texas. Cruz suggested shortly after taking office that politicians should "avoid ostentatiously wrapping yourself in your faith" — advice he has ignored amid his rise in national polls.
    AP - Full Article

Any Christian's willing to comment - not just on Cruz and a possible change in tact, but the article itself (especially the tithing bit, which is an area I'm not familiar with)?

Tithing is only a thing in certain Christian denominations. It's far from universally accepted and is frowned upon by other denominations. For example I've been a Catholic my whole life anf never once heard that word from a priest's mouth. They take collections during mass but that's more akin to accepting charitable donations as its hardly a requirement and no one is ever looked down on for not giving. IMO giving money has no correlation to what kind of person you are and what your relationship with God is. Seems to me like they're just taking something irrelevant and running with it to attack Cruz.
    "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be honored by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 3"But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving will be in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

http://biblehub.com/matthew/6-3.htm

I had a pastor that griefed me about tithing. I pointed this out to him and told him to mind his own business. One thing was for certain was that he wanted a commitment out me and I told him that my giving was none of his concern. He went on about it being tax deducible, and I replied then I haven't really given then...

Bottom line is if you give for a religious reason, give anonymously...
      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

That doesn't surprise me one least bit.

Even in my own church, the majority of members do not tithe at all or only give less than 10% of their incomes. Ironically, those who do not tithe or give very little usually have good paying jobs.

Why? The reasons vary with individual Christians.

I do believe in tithing and I give slightly more than 10% of my income to my own church. The concept of tithing did not originate with Hebrews, it started with Abraham BEFORE he became a Hebrew. The tithing was later codified into Mosaic Law. It is considered faith-based giving, as you don't always get immediate return on your tithing. However, one reaps great eternal things when it is done by faith.

The tithing does continue in New Testament times, it is not discontinued by the resurrection of Christ and annulment of Old Testament laws. In Old Testament, the tithing was commanded for everyone to provide for the maintenance of the Tabernacle, later the Temple, and for Levites as they were the only tribe allowed to minister about the holy things of the Temple. The Levite tribe had no lands of their own, so the rest of Tribes had to provide for them, and that is done by tithing.

In New Testament, the tithing is required so that the ministers (the pastors) can be provided and a local church can be maintained as well. Without tithing, the pastors cannot operate full time, therefore that means limited access to them in terms of receiving spiritual counseling and direction of various ministries. If they can concentrate full time, there is greater spiritual benefit to be reaped and that can only come through faith-based giving.

However, tithing cannot be forced upon everyone, it has to come from their heart and of their own volition. It is strongly encouraged as to reap blessings from God but not everyone accepts this. Some churches do not teach tithing out of fear that it will offend many members. Others only teach sporadically. Few do emphasize the importance of tithing. Nowadays, most pastors are bivocational. My own pastor was at one point bivocational, but as my church grew and my pastor emphasized how important it is to give tithing, many members did just that. The result was my pastor quitting his secular job and able to focus on the ministries, effecting the spiritual growth of my church and many souls brought to Christ.

It is really up to local churches and individual Christians to decide how important the tithing is really to them and to God. But there is doctrinal basis for tithing in the Bible.
        Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Oh I believe in tithing as well. It's all about being responsible for what God has given you. But if you write it off as a deduction then you really haven't given...
          Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

I found religion... just in time for an election...

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
              Oh I believe in tithing as well. It's all about being responsible for what God has given you. But if you write it off as a deduction then you really haven't given...
              I do tithe from my own heart and also use that as a deduction. Nothing wrong with that as long you give freely of your heart.

But only the Lord knows what is in your heart. He will know if the giving is only done out of necessity, fear of retribution from God, or for tax reasons. All of that is for wrong reasons. God loves a cheerful giver, He will be more inclined to bless that person than one who gives it out for wrong reasons.

If what you said about your pastor is true, then he is definitely wrong.

A true faithful Christian will not give for tax reasons, he will do it out of love for the Lord.
              Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
                I found religion... just in time for an election...
                That's really no different from Obama parking his butt in a church that hates the white people and really believes in the trash that our own government is responsible for AIDS and destruction of the black communities in America.

Obama attended that church for political reasons, and guess what? It worked like a charm.

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
                  That's really no different from Obama parking his butt in a church that hates the white people and really believes in the trash that our own government is responsible for AIDS and destruction of the black communities in America.

Obama attended that church for political reasons, and guess what? It worked like a charm.
                  I didn't necessarily limit the epithet to one candidate.. or even one party..

Comment

Originally posted by frisco17 View Post
                    Tithing is only a thing in certain Christian denominations. It's far from universally accepted and is frowned upon by other denominations. For example I've been a Catholic my whole life anf never once heard that word from a priest's mouth. They take collections during mass but that's more akin to accepting charitable donations as its hardly a requirement and no one is ever looked down on for not giving. IMO giving money has no correlation to what kind of person you are and what your relationship with God is. Seems to me like they're just taking something irrelevant and running with it to attack Cruz.
                    Tithing was a Jewish tradition that Catholics continued on through the Mosaic Covenant. There are no commands in the New Testament for tithing, only four separate mentions.
                    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

I get tired of politicians who turn to religion during every campaign or whenever they get into trouble. I am waiting for a politician to get asked about his faith and the politician responds that it's no ones business.
                      “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                      ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post

President Obama's membership in Trinity United Church may have helped him when he was running at the local level. Once its radical roots became a political liability he quickly ditched his association with the church.
                        "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
                        Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X