No announcement yet.

Looking back on "Snowmageddon"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem with DC is that they think that they are in the South. They get hit by major storms every winter but keep deluding themselves that it's a fluke and they don't need to buy the necessary snow removal equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
      Then there's DC. Does anyone but me notice how quickly DC devolves into a gaggle of helpless schoolgirls at the smallest excursion from normal? This is from last Thursday, two days before The Snow That Ate DC:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/21/politi...ser/index.html
      An inch of snow. Armageddon. Slippery roads. Oh my. The work of Satan His Own Self.

Then came a day-long storm with a couple feet of snow. Knee-deep snow is neither a catastrophe nor the personal affront they took it to be. Flight cancellations and road closings and abandoned cars and snow-choked streets and empty store shelves—wholly foreseeable and largely self-inflicted when prudent preparations aren't in place, which they weren't, even when warned days in advance. DC pretty much admits it relies on luck, meaning it prepares only for the unexceptional. Improvidence is a choice, the consequences are not. Other than that, you're doing a heck of a job, Browny.
      DC's problem is that they have a centralized command and control. Decisions are only made at the top. They began preparing for the big storm at the beginning of the week; staging equipment, modifying schedules.

When the rain turned out to be an inch of snow/ice.....their plan fell apart. The middle management couldn't adapt quick enough because they had to wait for permission. Once permission was received....the damage was already done but they reacted to it and this screwed up their schedule for the big snow storm. They have assets in place that weren't used. They also had no place to put the snow, it is illegal to dump it in the river....

That being said, it was a pretty decent storm.....not as bad as the stuff we were getting in the late 70's in Pittsburgh. Not as bad as the storm that we got here in 2010 but that storm didn't have a snow event happen right before the storm hit.

This storm did have a pretty long whiteout period, haven't seen this long of a whiteout since operating above the Arctic Circle. They did get close to 30 inches of snow.
      "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
        I think he was referring to the lack of preparedness and sense of entitlement. If local and State governments fail to prepare for reasonably expectable weather-related disasters and assume they are entitled to Federal protection from such events, they get what they deserve.
        You shouldn't have to spell it out for anyone, but, hey, it's HPJ after all. It's was glaringly obvious what I meant. Thanks though.
        The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
          I have a bit of experience playing with the Charger from my Dodge dealership days.

I can't comment on the current generation Charger, but in the first gen ones, the police Charger had the same engine controller as the Charger Daytona and R/T SE. No top speed governor.
          Oh, I haven't found the top speed on mine yet. Had a chase get up to 125, and I clocked her at 126 this past week running to a shooting. I know they'll do at least 145, been in one when we hit that mark.

I've got a '10 Charger. IMHO it's the best year, so long as the cam shaft isn't going out. The '14s we have just aren't quite as fast. The '16s are pretty hot, but we haven't gotten to really stretch one out yet and see what she can do.
          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
            Oh, I haven't found the top speed on mine yet. Had a chase get up to 125, and I clocked her at 126 this past week running to a shooting. I know they'll do at least 145, been in one when we hit that mark.

I've got a '10 Charger. IMHO it's the best year, so long as the cam shaft isn't going out. The '14s we have just aren't quite as fast. The '16s are pretty hot, but we haven't gotten to really stretch one out yet and see what she can do.
            What does your Charger have to do with the snowfall we're talking about? Do you plow snow with it?
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              What does your Charger have to do with the snowfall we're talking about? Do you plow snow with it?
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X