Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking back on "Snowmageddon"

... from a distance.

What is it with the Northeast Corridor? Is it even plausible to have a "storm of the century" every few years? Where else would a so-so snowstorm in January be an "epic blockbuster historic storm"? Stores emptied, emergencies declared, penguins and walruses sighted—because of wind and a couple feet of snow?

I grew up in New York. A light snow, not more than three or four inches, was treated like the Sack of Rome. Everyone in the city left work early, at the same time—to avoid the rush. Gentlemen, start your engines. Then came a reprise of those panic scenes from 1960s space invasion movies. The traffic jams became so immense they created a gravitational anomaly, nothing could escape, not even the city trucks. Why the panic? The roads looked better before plowing than our roads do after plowing. In Oregon they don't plow many rural highways at all, just run a grader over them to knock the drifts down and spread some cinders. Perhaps they were trying to beat everyone else because they were more afraid of everyone else than they were of the snow. Just a guess.

Then there's DC. Does anyone but me notice how quickly DC devolves into a gaggle of helpless schoolgirls at the smallest excursion from normal? This is from last Thursday, two days before The Snow That Ate DC:

Washington Mayor Muriel Bowser apologized Thursday to district residents for the city failing to be prepared for an inch of snowfall that came down on the nation's capitol Wednesday night.
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/21/politi...ser/index.html
    An inch of snow. Armageddon. Slippery roads. Oh my. The work of Satan His Own Self.

Then came a day-long storm with a couple feet of snow. Knee-deep snow is neither a catastrophe nor the personal affront they took it to be. Flight cancellations and road closings and abandoned cars and snow-choked streets and empty store shelves—wholly foreseeable and largely self-inflicted when prudent preparations aren't in place, which they weren't, even when warned days in advance. DC pretty much admits it relies on luck, meaning it prepares only for the unexceptional. Improvidence is a choice, the consequences are not. Other than that, you're doing a heck of a job, Browny.

The citizenry elsewhere is not reassured by all this. It reveals how panicky and brittle DC's response protocol has become. It's all or nothing. In this case "all" meant instant escalation from weather channel chatter to 'round-the-clock headline news, reported with all the professional reserve of a yuppie trapped in a burning circus tent.

The next day they used the word "aftermath" a lot. Earthquakes have an aftermath. Carpet bombings have an aftermath. It isn't two feet of volcanic ash. It's snow. If you're not in a rush it goes away and you'd never know it was there. In itself, pretty much aftermathless.

What DC is really saying is they, the nation's capital, the wealthiest place on the continent, smarter than the rest of us combined, didn't adequately prepare for what they knew was coming. Not a confidence builder. What else aren't they prepared for? Oh, here we are:

The snow-measuring device used by a team of weather observers at Washington's Reagan National Airport was buried in the blizzard, leaving them with no way to record the true amount of snow for hours on end.
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/25...now-total.html

A little advice to DC. The story here isn't the snow, it's your incompetence. You need to get out more. You're not Florida. Half the country is at and north of your latitude. Visit the many places where two feet of snow is "another two feet of snow", where storms worse than this come one after another. They don't close down the city for a couple of feet of snow, they probably don't even close the schools, nor do their government offices take a pass and watch football. Find out how they do it, apply the "lessons learned." Make us proud.

And get a grip, a snowstorm isn't a national emergency just because it happens in DC. Same storm, many other states, half again as much snow, only a mention. Major flooding in New Jersey, nary a nod. Enough hysteria. Put the victim card away, you're overdrawn. Stop embarassing yourselves. Helplessness isn't heroic no matter how it's presented.

Meanwhile, we disgusting vermin-ridden rural folk who are such a terrible drain on the economy and an affront to the nation if we need a court-appointed lawyer, we are getting along just fine, and are looking forward to as much snow as we can get out here in the west. Snowpack in the mountains means more runoff, means more water come spring. Its as simple as that.
    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

I've noticed a lot more weather hype in general with every pending storm of even moderate strength.

I can only assume it is driven by news ratings and perhaps the ability to predict storms further ahead allows for a greater chance to hype the storm.

Comment

It's sensationalized to get ratings for once thing. And I'm getting tired of hearing the words "storm of the century". Gives me the ragefits, it does.

Heck, even in Indiana...I read what was about to happen and what was happening and all I could say was "so what?" Get a shovel, start shoveling. Throw down some salt. Be smart, be patient. It's not the end of the world. We had it bad, for these parts, a couple of years ago, and I don't recall that the world stopped spinning, nor did I see four horsemen riding around at the time. It's just snow. It happens.

I think it's just the lazy regressive generation. Snowmageddon looks like hard work is about to happen, thus, the panic, the wailing, the helplessness....serves them right.

And as for DC...well, yeah. They got what they deserved. Just like New Orleans a few years back.
      The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

So-so storm? 30 inches or more in my neighborhood. Knee deep is one thing, waist deep is another. When the Indian owned liquor store in town is closed, you know its bad.

But I agree about the panic. An inch of snow can shut down the area. No one knows how to drive in it, yet these jack asses insist on being out in it. Thankfully it happened on a weekend, and the roads were open for me to play on. I burned up a half a tank of gas just on Saturday afternoon alone.
        ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
          It's sensationalized to get ratings for once thing. And I'm getting tired of hearing the words "storm of the century". Gives me the ragefits, it does.

Heck, even in Indiana...I read what was about to happen and what was happening and all I could say was "so what?" Get a shovel, start shoveling. Throw down some salt. Be smart, be patient. It's not the end of the world. We had it bad, for these parts, a couple of years ago, and I don't recall that the world stopped spinning, nor did I see four horsemen riding around at the time. It's just snow. It happens.

I think it's just the lazy regressive generation. Snowmageddon looks like hard work is about to happen, thus, the panic, the wailing, the helplessness....serves them right.

And as for DC...well, yeah. They got what they deserved. Just like New Orleans a few years back.
          A city gets hit by a major hurricane with large amount of damage and deaths and you say they they deserved it?

IF you mean that, word for word, then you need to turn in all your guns because your very ill.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
            A city gets hit by a major hurricane with large amount of damage and deaths and you say they they deserved it?

IF you mean that, word for word, then you need to turn in all your guns because your very ill.
            Well, from everything said on any of the threads on this N.A. board, everyone is supposed to be looking for reasons to HATE everyone else.
            It must be the new Hip thing.
            "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by lynelhutz View Post
              I've noticed a lot more weather hype in general with every pending storm of even moderate strength.

I can only assume it is driven by news ratings and perhaps the ability to predict storms further ahead allows for a greater chance to hype the storm.
              Warning: some profanity

Comment

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
                Warning: some profanity
                Too right.
                And yet we keep watching.

Well, not me, I unplugged 3 years ago.
                Great way to save money, and blood pressure.
                "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

I once worked with a bloke from Leningrad and at the time the UK had closed for business due to unforeseen low temperatures of -1 and a light dusting of snow with "drifts" on high ground.

He was unable to fly home because Aberdeen airport was closed.

He said to me;

"You know Tony,Britain is one of the most advanced nations the world has ever seen but you are just hopeless at snow, back home the schools officially close when the temperature gets to -21".

-21!!!!
                  Ours shut if there is snow in the car park in case parents sue for damage!

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

I think he was referring to the lack of preparedness and sense of entitlement. If local and State governments fail to prepare for reasonably expectable weather-related disasters and assume they are entitled to Federal protection from such events, they get what they deserve.
                    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post

Growing up in Connecticut, I recall "Snowmageddon" events being a bit more frequent than "storms of the century." The Snow Hurricane of 1978 shut the State down for a week. It started snowing Monday morning. By lunchtime, the cancelled classes at SCSU. When we walked from the dorm over to the cafeteria for dinner, visibility was about 10' due to the very heavy snow, which appeared to be falling sideways due to the wind. Within a few days, the shelves were barren in every liquor store within walking distance of campus. After a week of playing Risk, snowball fights and drinking, we had to dig our cars out of the parking lot so the State could plow it.

That was a real Snowmageddon. But that was in the late 1970's when the pre-Gorebots were chicken littling about an impending ice age.

Here in Texas, an inch of snow shuts cities down. However, my biggest gripe is with the hyping of thunderstorms. The radar maps on the local TV stations always seem to have much hotter color bars that those of AccuWeather and The Weather Channel. No matter how much they hype it, there are always a handful of idiots who drive into tornadoes or high water... And when we do have snow & ice, 40% the motorists drive too fast and lose traction, 40% drive too slow, stop on ice and lose traction and annoy the 20% who know how to drive on snow & ice. The Dallas Snowmageddon of 2010 was a perfect example. I drive a Jeep Rubicon, which can drive through anything. I couldn't get to work, not because of the snow, but because every route to the office was blocked by idiots who wiped out on the snow. At one point, there was an idiot in a clown car tailgating me... I guess the moron thought I was clearing a path... I pulled over and made him pass me...
                      Last edited by The Doctor; 31 Jan 16, 08:56.
                      Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Since I've been working LE, and therefore forced to drive in all weather conditions, I've not found a day in Eastern NC where a Dodge Charger was incapable of driving if done so correctly. Heck, the old Crown Vic spare cars the city has were used by their housing guys to bust through the 'drifts' made by the plows....they were being retired anyway, so cracks in the lower spoiler were of little concern.

And inevitably, in those conditions, one comes across guys in Silverados and F150s in ditches......while you sit there on the road and shake your head......driving a low-slung car with rear wheel drive only that can break the tires loose on dry pavement in the summer.

I do agree with Exo that DC was not only woefully underprepared.....they were almost bragging about how underprepared they were. Holy crap, we were hearing for a week about how bad it was going to be. That's 7 days, or 168 hours to make adjustments, rush-plan traffic patterns and snow plows, and all that jazz. I saw a lot of hand wringing and panicking and hype....what I didn't see was a lot of preparation, calling in snowplow crews from outside the affected area (don't tell me that the Federal Government can't find snowplows.....they've got an Army of 7 ton trucks perfect for plowing snow) and generally doing anything to mitigate the storm.

I had to drive up to PA two Decembers ago to pick up a Federal Inmate. It was snowing, and coming from the South I was in 'oh crap' mode, thinking I was going to be stuck with this fool. To my pleasant surprise, the roads were plowed just as fast as the snow could come down, and I can't recall driving on a snowy road once, this being in the foothills. So I know it Can be done.....
                        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                          Since I've been working LE, and therefore forced to drive in all weather conditions, I've not found a day in Eastern NC where a Dodge Charger was incapable of driving if done so correctly. Heck, the old Crown Vic spare cars the city has were used by their housing guys to bust through the 'drifts' made by the plows....they were being retired anyway, so cracks in the lower spoiler were of little concern.
                          I remember my 72 Cutlass being excellent in the snow.

And inevitably, in those conditions, one comes across guys in Silverados and F150s in ditches......while you sit there on the road and shake your head......driving a low-slung car with rear wheel drive only that can break the tires loose on dry pavement in the summer.
                          Four wheel drive doesn't fix stupidity.

Your Charger has a good TCS and ABS system, but that only does so much. It also has 350+HP. Being a skilled driver is key.
                          ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                            I remember my 72 Cutlass being excellent in the snow.

Four wheel drive doesn't fix stupidity.

Your Charger has a good TCS and ABS system, but that only does so much. It also has 350+HP. Being a skilled driver is key.
                            Yep. TCS is actually too good sometimes. I wish that they came with a dual-mode TCS that switched into 'sport' or 'performance' mode the instant I stomped the pedal. It's annoying that I've got the horsepower to sling the tail around when I'm trying to turn around on a car, but first I have to manually cut off the TCS before I can access the ability to break the tires loose without doing some fancy maneuvering.
                            Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                              Yep. TCS is actually too good sometimes. I wish that they came with a dual-mode TCS that switched into 'sport' or 'performance' mode the instant I stomped the pedal. It's annoying that I've got the horsepower to sling the tail around when I'm trying to turn around on a car, but first I have to manually cut off the TCS before I can access the ability to break the tires loose without doing some fancy maneuvering.
                              I have a bit of experience playing with the Charger from my Dodge dealership days.

I can't comment on the current generation Charger, but in the first gen ones, the police Charger had the same engine controller as the Charger Daytona and R/T SE. No top speed governor.
                              ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X