Homeland Security Air Sniffer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homeland Security Air Sniffer

Strange metal boxes has been popping up around San Francisco this past week and everyone has been wondering what they are for. Turns out, they are air sniffers aka BioWatch Gen 2 Aerosol Collector.

Mystery solved. That unmarked Homeland Security box plugged into an SF utility pole in the Financial District is an "air sniffer," or maybe an "air sucker" or its proper name, a "BioWatch Gen 2 Aerosol Collector."
    The mysterious metal box with wheels, a "snorkel" reaching up about 6 feet, and an electrical cord plugged into a locked receptacle on a utility pole showed up during Super Bowl preparations on the corner of Mission and New Montgomery in San Francisco's Financial District.
    There's also an amusing sign from Homeland Security that reads "DO NOT UNPLUG!!!," yes, with three exclamation points. It's conceivable that if terrorists WERE going to release a biological weapon, they might unplug them. The padlock is pretty small on these. There's also a local phone number for DHS, in case someone sees a problem. It's (415) 686-3902 in case you spot a problem.

The purpose is to sniff the air for particles, and collect them. The idea is they might catch potential weapons like anthrax and other bioweapons in their filters.

http://www.sfgate.com/superbowl/arti...ed-6790510.php
    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

BTW...it takes approx 36 hours for results, compared to approx 6 hours with an updated autonomous system.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

LOL! They also have them in the New York's subway!

Comment

Terrorist Fart Detectors!! At the first whiff of really bad falafel, they sound the alarm!!
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
          BTW...it takes approx 36 hours for results, compared to approx 6 hours with an updated autonomous system.
          Even a 6 hour turn around time would makes the system virtually useless.

I guess 5 hours and 55 minutes after people started dropping dead it could tell you what killed them!?
          "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
          Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post

I guess 5 hours and 55 minutes after people started dropping dead it could tell you what killed them!?
            Yes, but it might detect the transportation of dangerous biological or chemical agents or people who have been in contact with them. Patterns might be able to be observed that can be cross checked with other intelligence to narrow down a potential threat.
            Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I guess that's the problem about CBRN/NBC warfare.

Unless someone is in full MOPP at ground zero with the right tools the moment it occurs, I don't think there really is any other way.

Comment

Originally posted by BKnight3 View Post
                I guess that's the problem about CBRN/NBC warfare.

Unless someone is in full MOPP at ground zero with the right tools the moment it occurs, I don't think there really is any other way.
                I've been off active duty for over 25 years. But I thought the detectors we had even in the 1980's would alarm much quicker than that.

Your right it might not help the people at ground zero. But it may help the first responders. And it would allow you to shut an area down and keep further victims out.
                "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
                Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

I've been off active duty for over 25 years. But I thought the detectors we had even in the 1980's would alarm much quicker than that.

Your right it might not help the people at ground zero. But it may help the first responders. And it would allow you to shut an area down and keep further victims out.
                  I was Navy so I have no idea how the detectors would work.

I think the Damage Controlmen stuck to tried and true paper indicator strips on my ship.

Comment

Originally posted by BKnight3 View Post
                    I was Navy so I have no idea how the detectors would work.

I think the Damage Controlmen stuck to tried and true paper indicator strips on my ship.
                    Onboard ship at General Quarters the hatches would be sealed (for the most part) and the air coming in filtered anyway....you'd actually have some time before people just started dropping dead, in which case you'd have better facilities to deal with it, and the ability to shut out the outside air and MOPP up....and sail out of the problem as well if it was an airborne threat. Almost like being in a larger and better equipped tank when it comes to CBRN.

I do think that the detectors the NBC guys have work faster, but maybe they only work faster for certain threats, where things like anthrax or smallpox would take a while to locate. After all the military vaccinates against the most common (and virulent) Biological weapons, so an Anthrax bomb is little threat to an Infantry Battalion in country. Civilians aren't vaccinated, and such a weapon would be a grave threat against them......detecting chemical weapons is quicker and easier, and those are the more dangerous threats to military personnel in the field as they're debilitating and cannot be vaccinated against.
                    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

I know our government meant well when they came up with the bright idea to place these boxes in populated areas to detect biological/chemical attacks.
                      But it's only a matter of time before someone steals the box.

There's a sign attached to the box warning people not to unplug the unit. It's plugged into an electrical outlet right next to the box and could easily be unplugged with minimal effort.

If I were a terrorist intent on setting off a chemical attack, I would just unplug the darn thing first.

Comment

I'm surprised they didn't put a "Don't steal this unit under penalty of law" sign on it. Or, maybe they didn't because they knew that would only encourage people...

Comment

I'm sure the 3 exclamation marks really scare people out of unplugging it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X