This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bundy Brothers Arrested

1 Dead and 1 wounded in a traffic stop as the group was traveling to a local town for a community meeting.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/27...l?intcmp=hpbt1

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0f7179928639c

Hopefully, that means its over... but how many more are left in that Center?

I thought it was silly how porous that siege was, but now I see the point; let them get over-confident and then when they just start tooling around the countryside; grab em.

The Governor has a serious hate-on for these guys, watch for a sentence of 50+ years in another Kangaroo court... but anyone that didn't see that coming is a fool.
    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Meh...

Comment

Unfortunately there are a lot of wackos out there who feel the Bundy's were in the right and didn't deserve to be punished. There will be plenty of armchair "patriots" online, hopefully their government assistance won't be enough to cover guns and ammo for their proclaimed retribution.
        "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
        - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

I'm going to reserve judgement on the takedown until more comes out. As of this point I say that it was a good tactical move, but I have some possible reservations depending on how things really went down.

For instance what was the meeting concerning. If it was planned with the purpose of ending the siege, then going for the 'hard solution' is going to come off as the FBI once again flexing its muscle, and it'll galvanize the fringe wackos harder, as they will know there is no talking, and they might as well go flat out AQ level next time.
          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Malheur Park .

"Malheur" is a french word . It means " misfortune "
            Sums it all.
            That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
              For instance what was the meeting concerning.
              It doesn't seem that it was for negotiations, but for propaganda in favor of the occupiers of the reserve.

If it was planned with the purpose of ending the siege, then going for the 'hard solution' is going to come off as the FBI once again flexing its muscle, and it'll galvanize the fringe wackos harder, as they will know there is no talking, and they might as well go flat out AQ level next time.
              Well, maybe, but I've seen the argument being made that if you do not react you'll encourage more of them to act out. I've seen the claim that a previous event in which federal law enforcers backed down was actually what encouraged this standoff in the first place.

If you don't uphold the law, then it will seem the bar is getting lower, that the chances are you can break it again and go away scot free or just with a whack on your fingers. That will mean more people will be tempted by the outlaw option.
              The upside is that you'll have less violence involved. The downside is that the incidents will be much more numerous.

If OTOH you do uphold the law, the bar will be set higher. The price will be long years in jail, or even death. Sure, that may harden the resolve of true wackos - but these are, by definition, in smaller numbers.
              The upside is that you'll have way less incidents. The downside is that they may well be all bloody.
              Michele

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
                Well, maybe, but I've seen the argument being made that if you do not react you'll encourage more of them to act out. I've seen the claim that a previous event in which federal law enforcers backed down was actually what encouraged this standoff in the first place.
                The problem with appeasement.

If you don't uphold the law, then it will seem the bar is getting lower, that the chances are you can break it again and go away scot free or just with a whack on your fingers. That will mean more people will be tempted by the outlaw option.
                The upside is that you'll have less violence involved. The downside is that the incidents will be much more numerous.

If OTOH you do uphold the law, the bar will be set higher. The price will be long years in jail, or even death. Sure, that may harden the resolve of true wackos - but these are, by definition, in smaller numbers.
                The upside is that you'll have way less incidents. The downside is that they may well be all bloody.
                Worse, if you go easy sometimes but hard other times, you will most likely be easy on some groups and hard on others doing the same thing. The groups you were hard on will interpret this as the government deliberately targeting them and letting the other side have a free ride.
                Reaction to the 2016 Munich shootings:
                Europe: "We are shocked and support you in these harsh times, we stand by you."
                USA: "We will check people from Germany extra-hard and it is your own damn fault for being so stupid."

Comment

Looks like a well-executed arrest and proper use of force.
                  Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                    I'm going to reserve judgement on the takedown until more comes out. As of this point I say that it was a good tactical move, but I have some possible reservations depending on how things really went down.

For instance what was the meeting concerning. If it was planned with the purpose of ending the siege, then going for the 'hard solution' is going to come off as the FBI once again flexing its muscle, and it'll galvanize the fringe wackos harder, as they will know there is no talking, and they might as well go flat out AQ level next time.
                    The meeting was arranged by the Bundy and group with people in the neighboring County, they were going to educate them on the meaning of the constitution. So no, the Feds did not set up the meeting.
                    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                    “To talk of many things:
                    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                    Of cabbages—and kings—
                    And why the sea is boiling hot—
                    And whether pigs have wings.”
                    ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

The argument of the Bundys is nothing new. Federal land policies go way back to the Clintons when they started closing off and pressuring neighboring property owners to give up their rights in Northern Michigan.

In the late 90s, the Oscoda Volunteer Fire Department was threatened with arrest when they fought a forest fire deliberately set to clear land for the threatened species above, that burned out of control in order to protect neighboring cottages and homes nearby.
                      Last edited by SRV Ron; 27 Jan 16, 06:50.
                      “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Whether you think they were right or wrong (and I think they were entirely wrong) no government can sustain itself for long if it doesn't respond to direct and open challenges.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDog View Post
                          1 Dead and 1 wounded in a traffic stop as the group was traveling to a local town for a community meeting.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/27...l?intcmp=hpbt1

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0f7179928639c
                          Bundy et al have already flagged themselves as nothing more than a bunch of gun toting, self centered cretins; sow the wind and you will reap the whirlwind!
                          Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
                          Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

People said traffic stops were the best way to go.

Good things the Feds thought that through.

Wonder how long it would take for the body cam footage to be released?

Comment

Originally posted by BKnight3 View Post
                              People said traffic stops were the best way to go.

Good things the Feds thought that through.

Wonder how long it would take for the body cam footage to be released?
                              Well in the Chicago Officer shooting, the one in the news awhile ago, it took a year. Hope no one complains about the time.
                              “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                              “To talk of many things:
                              Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                              Of cabbages—and kings—
                              And why the sea is boiling hot—
                              And whether pigs have wings.”
                              ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X