Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very interesting article on Trump, conservative ideas and the 'elite'.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very interesting article on Trump, conservative ideas and the 'elite'.

From "The American Conservative", a very thought provoking article about the rise of Trump vs the 'conservative' elite. A lot to think about.

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...ntelligentsia/

Example.

This kind of thing happened more than a few times. Moving back to Louisiana to live really did reveal to me the gap between the conservative punditocracy and those for whom they — for whom we — presume to speak. Ideas and reason matter far less to most people than they do to people like us (this is true of the left as well), not because most people are stupid, but because their mode of experiencing life is not nearly as abstract as ours.
    Please give it a read.
    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
    “To talk of many things:
    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
    Of cabbages—and kings—
    And why the sea is boiling hot—
    And whether pigs have wings.”
    ― Lewis Carroll

I read it. concerning Trump in particular,I think a lot of his rhetoric and bravado is well planned to appeal to certain groups that he believes will get him the nomination. the squeaky wheel gets the grease..........
    Back in 2010 or 11 I listened to a radio talk show that interviewed Trump concerning if he were president how would he handle the job. I was surprised and a little impressed by his answers. They were not near as over the top as some of his present comments.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
      I read it. concerning Trump in particular,I think a lot of his rhetoric and bravado is well planned to appeal to certain groups that he believes will get him the nomination. the squeaky wheel gets the grease..........
      Back in 2010 or 11 I listened to a radio talk show that interviewed Trump concerning if he were president how would he handle the job. I was surprised and a little impressed by his answers. They were not near as over the top as some of his present comments.
      He is a master of the media. I give him that. I don't think he's and idiot, however I don't like someone that runs for a high office and does have any substantive ideas committed to paper.
      “To talk of many things:
      Of cabbages—and kings—
      ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
        He is a master of the media. I give him that. I don't think he's and idiot, however I don't like someone that runs for a high office and does have any substantive ideas committed to paper.
        I keep telling people Trump is a Sheriff Arpaio on the national level. Arpaio is despised and reviled by the Left. They act the same way towards Trump. But, Arpaio gets elected, and elected, and elected... and by big majorities.

I don't like either man, but that doesn't change what I'm saying. I'm trying to look at Trump objectively here.

It looks like it's going to be a race between an arrogant blowhard (which is what Arpaio is) and the reincarnation of Richard Nixon after Watergate. Guess who's going to be more popular...

Comment

Trump has accomplished one thing very well: he stands out from the pack. Love him or hate him, the fact is that more people recognize him than any GOP candidate. Only Hillary has close to equal name recognition.

And while every other candidate sticks to the same carefully scripted campaign, Trump yells, postures, and blusters.

Being different when a lot of people are very tired with 'the same old same old' could actually work for him.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Sen Cruz appeared to have and was counting on very, very strong support from the Iowa Evangelical community, always as strong force in the Iowa GOP Caucuses, if the recent polling is correct, and this year that is a big IF, Trump appears to have blown it wide open.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...ls-poll-218210

Among white evangelical Republican voters nationally, Trump earned the support of 37 percent, while Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, whose father is a pastor and has played a key role in recruiting faith leaders to support his son, is at 20 percent. In the same survey conducted the previous week, Cruz registered 9 percentage points higher.
            http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...s-trump-218238

Jerry Falwell Jr., the evangelical leader of Liberty University, has endorsed Donald Trump for president.
            Falwell, in a statement released Tuesday, said that Trump is “a successful executive and entrepreneur, a wonderful father and a man who I believe can lead our country to greatness again."
            With Sen Cruz's weak in NH it might be all the way until some of the SEC primaries on Mar 1st before he can get a win.
            “To talk of many things:
            Of cabbages—and kings—
            ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
              Sen Cruz appeared to have and was counting on very, very strong support from the Iowa Evangelical community, always as strong force in the Iowa GOP Caucuses, if the recent polling is correct, and this year that is a big IF, Trump appears to have blown it wide open.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...ls-poll-218210

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...s-trump-218238

With Sen Cruz's weak in NH it might be all the way until some of the SEC primaries on Mar 1st before he can get a win.
              Trump does now seem to be surging in Iowa... None of the early States are winner-take-all... But if Trump sweeps Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina with ~35% of the vote...
              Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                Trump does now seem to be surging in Iowa... None of the early States are winner-take-all... But if Trump sweeps Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina with ~35% of the vote...
                Welcome to Trump, the "true" conservative republicans have been wanting for decades.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                  Welcome to Trump, the "true" conservative republicans have been wanting for decades.
                  Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                    The problem with ALL Presidential candidates is ego. Right now you have enough, poll, support for the mid/bottom tier as Trump has altogether, but they will not drop out. Living the Mr Santorum fantasy from 2012, bouncing from sixth place a week out to micro win that took two weeks to get figured out. They need to drop immediately after Iowa if any of the others that might beat Trump will have a chance to.
                    “To talk of many things:
                    Of cabbages—and kings—
                    ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Most of the also rans will be gone by South Carolina's primary. Only the really serious will stay for Super Tuesday.
                      After that only one or two contenders against the party leader will remain.

It may well be by that point more of a contest on the Democrat side of things than the Republican. If Shrillary is behind but still has some chance of winning she'll stay in to the bitter end, win or lose.
                      I suspect Trump will either be pretty clearly the winner or will pack it in by then. I suspect he'll be more business-like than Shrillary who thinks she deserves to be anointed.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                        I keep telling people Trump is a Sheriff Arpaio on the national level. Arpaio is despised and reviled by the Left. They act the same way towards Trump. But, Arpaio gets elected, and elected, and elected... and by big majorities.

I don't like either man, but that doesn't change what I'm saying. I'm trying to look at Trump objectively here.

It looks like it's going to be a race between an arrogant blowhard (which is what Arpaio is) and the reincarnation of Richard Nixon after Watergate. Guess who's going to be more popular...
                        Speaking of the devil:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...o-trump-218247

Sheriff Joe Arpaio to stump for Trump
                        “To talk of many things:
                        Of cabbages—and kings—
                        ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Trump is more than about policy papers (which he does have on his website) - he is tapping into a dormant American spirit and the anger of the common person.

Comment

Originally posted by Charger View Post
                            Trump is more than about policy papers (which he does have on his website) - he is tapping into a dormant American spirit and the anger of the common person.
                            That can win elections, if done properly.

This will be an interesting primary, at least.
                            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Channel 4 documentary did nothing short of a character assassination on Trump this evening.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X